Considering a 2019 Crosstrek - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-25-2019, 01:21 AM   #1

Default Considering a 2019 Crosstrek

Vehicle shopping and considering a new Crosstrek.

Test drove 6 vehicles last week. I keep coming back to the Crosstrek.

Fun car!

LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 01:56 AM   #2

Just out of curiosity, which cars did you test drive?

I bought mine without testing any other cars, so it was the Trek or nothing. It had been on my mind for 2 years. To me, it just has a very clean appealing look that no other in its class has. It traded a 2014 Mustang GT.
Okie Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post
Just out of curiosity, which cars did you test drive?

I bought mine without testing any other cars, so it was the Trek or nothing. It had been on my mind for 2 years. To me, it just has a very clean appealing look that no other in its class has. It traded a 2014 Mustang GT.

Okie Hick,
Here is what I posted on the other XV site. I found that one prior to finding this place.

Test Drive Thoughts
In my search for a new vehicle. I test drove six vehicles this week.

Apples and oranges for sure. But all fruit never the less. Below is the order in which I drove them.

2019 GMC Canyon. Chevyís Colorado Sibling.
2019 Ford F-150,
2019 Toyota Rav 4,
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Upland,
2019 Crosstrek
2018 Outback.
2019 Toyota Rav 4 (Second Drive)

After some soul searching and number crunching. I have sort of eliminated the two trucks.

Of the other 4, I can honestly say, they all have some solid points. They were all very nice. Most new vehicles are.

From the Jeep side of things. I have eliminated the Upland. I am however considering the Cherokee Trailhawk i stead.

I found the 2019 Rav 4 to be an interesting vehicle. It looks nice and drives well. It has decent towing. (3,500 LBS for the Adventure Model)
But the parts department was unable to source a hitch at this point in time.

Of the two Subies. The reason for the 2018 Outback is the discounted price and attractive interest rates. They actually line it right up with the Crosstrek.

The Crosstrek was a surprise. After reading myriads of press reviews about its lack of power. I expected to be able to get out and walk along side of it until it gained some speed. That was not the case. It isnít a Viper or a Vette. But it moves well enough.

Visibility was excellent. Handling was way better than I anticipated. I liked the cabin of the Crosstrek the most of all the vehicles I tested. At least the front part. Knobs, dials and buttons fell easily to hand and the the layout made sense to my aging mind.

I really liked the center dash elevated MFD. Itís there when you need it. But out of the way when you donít. Having the Road Speed Sign is way cool. Add in direction of travel, current road, and outdoor temp. And that is a handy pod of useful information. All presented in such a way as to not feel like an X-Wing Fighter.

I wonder if the coolness of the Ravís Drive-In Movie style screen wouldnít wear off after a few 1000 miles.

Way back when Subaru had that display with just Temp and elapsed time. I never saw the value. This time around it makes good sense. And the ability to toggle through the lean angle and other screens added to the coolness.

I was actually bummed that the Ď18 Outback didnít have it. Fit and finish in both Subarus were well above their price point in my opinion. Both of the ones I drove were Limiteds. I used the onboard navigation in both to find my way back to the dealership. The Ravís Nav wasnít turned on. Big screen with nothing to use it for.

I found the Ravís main center dash to be a bit busy. But Iím old.

Our trusty Adirondack weather provided me with ample opportunity to test out the Subaru all weather traction and all wheel drive. I arrived at the dealership on the heels of an ice storm. I headed for back roads and was treated to 3Ē-4Ē of crusty unplowed snow. Hardpacked snow with a soft glaze of ice. And intermittent patches of snow and bare pavement with choppy breaks. The Subaru Symetrical All Wheel Drive was impressive, as was the braking.

The little Crosstrek seemed like it was enjoying itself immensely. And because of that, I was too. Iím not one to wad up someone elseís test vehicle. But I tossed it, slid it a bit, and generally just had a hoot of a good time with it.

It reminded me a bit of a Jack Russell Terrier in the snow. Quick, nimble, able to radically change direction at the drop of a hat. But sure footed and thinking itís a rotty. Very confident in its abilities. I like it.

The Outback if I could describe it, seemed a tad more grown up. The longer wheel base, bigger car, and 2018 platform did nothing wrong. In fact it did everything right. It just didnít excite me the way the Crosstrek did. It has a bit more of everything. Power, storage, comfort, amenities, but it didnít stir me as much.

I like both the look and the feel of the seats better in the Crosstrek. I thought the dash was simpler and more intuitive. It all just worked.

Whichever vehicle I choose. It will be my traveling office for 10+ hours a day. So It needs to work for me. It will spend 85% of its time as a sole hauler. It will need to access some log landings and quarry sites as well. But the other 15% will be two up and loaded for camping.

In comparing the Crosstrek to the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Ground clearance is a wash. Jeep has the Approach and departure solidly. The Crosstrek owns the gas mileage war. Iíd also give the nod to the Crosstrek for technology and intergration.

Towing goes to the Trailhawk. But the price reflects that.

I currently have a 2014 Cherokee with the base 4 cylinder engine, and 96,000 miles on the clock. It I believe is slower than the Crosstrek.

I honestly am not sure what I will be doing yet. But the Crosstrek left a lasting impression on me. Enough so that I thought Iíd share my test drive experience with folks here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #4

I just purchased my first subie last friday, brand new. It's a pearl white crosstrek premium with only a few options, like LED light upgrades, auto dimming mirror, mudflaps, roofrack crossmembers and all weather mats. I love it so far.
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #5

Here's a couple pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4016.jpg (89.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4018.jpg (118.3 KB, 5 views)
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4man View Post
Here's a couple pics
Nice pics! Neither black nor white are "colors". So I'll say that I love your white coating!
Okie Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4man View Post
I just purchased my first subie last friday, brand new. It's a pearl white crosstrek premium with only a few options, like LED light upgrades, auto dimming mirror, mudflaps, roofrack crossmembers and all weather mats. I love it so far.
That was the color I test drove. It looks great.

I hope you have great luck with it.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2018 Premium

Very nice review of the Crosstrek ride. I have owned my 2018 since October 2017, and I absolutely love it.

I use it for hauling two kayaks/camping, and as a daily driver. It works well for all of that, and it has pretty good offload capabilities.

The biggest downside for me is its towing capacity and soft springs, but its not exactly meant for towing heavy loads.

They're also pretty modifiable. They seem to have quite a bit of after market support for suspension and appearance.
Nostrebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #9

Strangely I drove a Mercedes B250 back to back. Same price anyhow.
I loved the sport button that actually slid the cam shaft.
The seats where 9/10 of the e class.
The only B250 sold is a fully loaded one.
The car is completely fine except it lacks any useful suspicion, which isn’t so great in the pothole studded spring we are about to have in Toronto.
The Crosstrek has a kind of lope over things and bumps. Precision steering, minimal roll, elevated presence. What’s not to like?
Subaruplatt is offline   Reply With Quote