Everything turned out better than expected - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

My Vehicle: '13 Ice Silver XV -w- CVT
Default Everything turned out better than expected

I was happy driving my '05 WRX until some joker rear ended me and totaled it, leaving it temporarily drivable. It had been totally trouble free, but it's long term durability had been on my mind lately so I'd already been looking at the XV online.

A day or two after the accident, I went by the dealer to look at XVs, and liking what I saw, ended up making an agreement for a CVT equipped Premium that was expected to be delivered in two weeks. Fast forward a few days and my radiator springs a leak (due to being sandwiched in the accident) and I go begging to Subaru of Las Vegas for a loaner until my car came in. 30 minutes later I was driving a '12 Forester, pretty nice, eh?

My car ended up showing up five days earlier than expected and I've had it for about a week and a half now and my only complaint is the annoying passenger airbag indicator.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 crosstrek limited desert khaki 2011 legacy 2.5i premium ruby red pearl
Default Re: Everything turned out better than expected

that's sucks about WRX but awesome that they gave you a loaner! Welcome to the group! What color did you get?

Lovin' our Crosstrek 8)
tmorgan66030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

ouch... hate when things go that way, but glad you ended up in an XV! Which color did you go with and do you have any plans for upgrades/modifications?
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

I walked in the dealership wanting a Tangerine with a 5mt. Tangerine seemed impossible to find after searching dealers in LA and St. George, UT so I ended up with Ice Silver. It was mostly a compromise based on not wanting a dark color, ivory interior or navigation and needing a car on short notice. If I couldn't get the exact color I wanted, I figured I'd at least go with a light color to minimize heat soak from the sun out here. As far as the transmission goes, it didn't really matter that much and after driving the Forester, I was glad I got forced into the CVT. The base engines are really lacking in oomph coming out of my tuned WRX, so if I'm not going anywhere in a hurry anyways, it might as well be smooth and relaxing.

I just ordered the side cargo nets and hood deflector (because I remember how how chipped my WRX hood got after my first road trip) and plan on trying to get the rear cargo net from my WRX to fit as the seatback storage net.

Probably get the factory hitch for my bike rack, since it was probably the hitch on my WRX that led it to be totaled out. It wasn't an especially hard hit, but the frame mounted hitch caused the rear floor to crumple and even threw the alignment slightly off. Plus it looks better and is more convenient than the other alternatives. Skid plates too.

There might be some plasti-dipping in the future as well, still on the fence about which way to do the grill.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

Congrats and welcome to the Club! Sorry to hear about the WRX.. SuckS!! But you now have a VERY popular new model for the US! I love everything about the XV. I have a Limited CVT and just added every exterior mod you can ( with the exception of body moldings ).

I can't egree with you more on the airbag light.... a little black tape can sure that....

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

Sounds like a good list.

[quote=richde]

I had a hard time being okay with $450 + labor for the Subaru hitch. A combination of that, the bumper fascia being cut, and being limted to 1.25" led me away from that option. I'd recommend looking at the Torklift ($250, hidden) or the Curt ($150).

Did you actually have a ball mounted when you took the hit?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

Welcome to the site! Lots of helpful and friendly folks here.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasem
I had a hard time being okay with $450 + labor for the Subaru hitch. A combination of that, the bumper fascia being cut, and being limted to 1.25" led me away from that option. I'd recommend looking at the Torklift ($250, hidden) or the Curt ($150).

Did you actually have a ball mounted when you took the hit?
I've been looking at both of them. The Torklift isn't as convenient because the bike rack requires a bolt to be inserted to lock it into place, which would be obscured behind the bumper fascia and be a pita to remove and install. Then the Curt is just kinda ugly with the crossbar hanging down under the bumper where the factory hitch looks more integrated.

The only thing that'll be on it is a bike rack, so 1.25" (which fits my existing bike rack) is all I'll ever need, and once the hitch is on, it's going to stay on the car for the duration, so cutting the bumper is no big deal.

There was nothing mounted on the hitch when I got hit:

Part of it paranoia about having non-factory equipment installed if the same thing were to happen again. But really, as a long term purchase, the price really doesn't make much difference in the long run.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Hey richde, thanks for joining. Sucks about your WRX, I had an '04 and it was such a blast to drive but I am loving my Crosstrek. Post up some pictures if you have the time!