First car! First subie! 2017 crosstrek!! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #1

Default First Car! First Subie! 2017 Crosstrek!!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Maxwell. I have had a couple cars given to me or passed down to me but this is my first ever car purchase!

Brand new to Subaru, but have heard nothing but great things and great stories from my father, family and friends.

Currently I am working on my masters degree in astrophysics and love to go camping under the clear dark desert skies of Southern California. My only problem at times was getting there, sticking to only campsites with paved roads or easy access dirt roads.

No longer do I have that problem with the 2017 Crosstrek! I have had it only 5 days and am happier with it than any car previously. I look forward to my first offroad adventure with it soon.

I look forward to hear from you, to read your stories, learn more about the Crosstrek, what equipment to purchase and so on from the forum.

Thanks in advance!!

StarDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight

Welcome to the madness Maxwell. Lots of good info here. I do like the red.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Welcome to the club!

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you check out the New to Subaru thread as well as the break-in procedures.

The Subaru XV Crosstrek is probably the best subcompact crossover [this is the category it competes in despite being based on the compact Subaru Impreza] for adventuring and camping. Tied best-in-class ground clearance, great fuel economy, as well as competent road manners and handling.

Since you do intend to go off-road, you may want to consider getting some skid plates for protection from companies such as Primitive Racing, Gorilla Offroad, etc. And if you intend to go off-road often, you should also consider getting all-terrain tires such as the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 215/60R17.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Congrats!
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

Good choice, congratulations and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
...if you intend to go off-road often, you should also consider getting all-terrain tires such as the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 2015/60R17.
I was checking them out, though I believe you made an error on the tire size. I know you meant 215/60/R17, but checking my current tire size they are 225/55/R17.

So shouldn't the proper off road tire size be 225/60/R17? Not 215? Please advise.

Thanks!
StarDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDude View Post
I was checking them out, though I believe you made an error on the tire size. I know you meant 215/60/R17, but checking my current tire size they are 225/55/R17.

So shouldn't the proper off road tire size be 225/60/R17? Not 215? Please advise.

Thanks!
I generally recommend using the stock tire size (for the current 2nd gen Crosstrek, it is 225/55R17), however, the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S is not available in the stock tire size, hence my recommendation of a good alternative of 215/60R17 as it is very close to the stock tire size.

With a tire close to the stock tire size based on rotations per mile (stock Yokohama Geolandar G95A has 775, Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S has 767), the Geolandar A/T-S is the only all-terrain tire I recommend because it is closest to the stock tire size. Almost all other all-terrain tire sizes are very different for the 17" wheel diameter, so downsizing the wheel size is the only other alternative to get a properly-sized all-terrain tire on.

Also, Subaru Japan has used it as a concept tire for the original Subaru XV Sport Concept

http://www.subaru.jp/tas2013/images/.../report_74.png
Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
I generally recommend using the stock tire size (for the current 2nd gen Crosstrek, it is 225/55R17), however, the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S is not available in the stock tire size, hence my recommendation of a good alternative of 215/60R17 as it is very close to the stock tire size.
Would this be it??

http://amzn.to/2iR6yTb
Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDude View Post
Would this be it??

http://amzn.to/2iR6yTb
Negative, that's the 225/60R17, not the 215/60R17 I recommend.

This is the one I recommend:

Yokohama¬*Geolandar A/T-S

The treadwear and traction ratings of the A/T-S are superior to the stock G95A tires.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #10

My Vehicle: '17 Crosstrek Special Edition - Black

Great photo, nice looking new car!
YohanOkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first new 2017 car love