G'Day from Sydney - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #1

My Vehicle: MY13 Subaru XV 2.0iS CVT Ice Silver Metallic
Default G'Day from Sydney

G'Day there

I just found you guys here today, pointed out to me by a member on one of the other boards. Looks like a great site

I'm from Sydney and I've owned my MY13 XV 2.0iS (all the sugar) since March '13. I've just joined the Subaru Club here in Sydney and have just come back from a great little offroad trip to River Island 4WD Park near southern Sydney.

I took the plunge and decided on the new Subaru XV 2.0iS, in preference to a Forester - a larger vehicle that has done very well for itself here in Australia. I'm a bit like that - I like to explore the fringe a little and see if things can be done that otherwise might not be by others. I knew that the XV has the same basic ride height of the Forester, so in theory should do reasonably well off road. The only disadvantage (apart from the lack of the new Forester's X-Mode HDC) was the XV's seemingly poor approach angle. Mine has the new CVT with centre electronically-controlled clutch pack, so that was another unknown. Coming previously from a fully blown and lifted Defender, this was going to be an interesting experience down at River Island.

Stock Geolandar tyres aside, and aired down to 18 pounds, the little car did very well for itself this weekend. It had obvious trouble up the steeper and more rutted tracks coming up from the river where the lack of articulation and subsequent loss of immediate traction meant that more momentum would have required to cross the dips. Centre line clearance isn't what you'd call "abundant" on these vehicles either. I saw myself losing a few kilos of plastic and the likelihood of knocking my front spoiler off if I had done this. So I didn't. Golly - it hasn't even been in for its first service yet! LOL

Where it could get traction, it climbed without drama. The CVT was progressive and performed well up hill. Coming down was a different matter, without low range and heavy engine braking it was a case of using the brakes sparingly the whole way down. It wasn't a real problem and I never lost traction - I just had a sore right leg at the bottom! The water crossing was also great fun in it. No water entered and the engine was pretty dry afterwards. The air intake is up high, but right at the front behind the sealed bonnet lip. I thank that I might relocate it further back towards the firewall one day, but this time around my Akubra hat squashed under the closed bonnet saved the day and took the brunt of the water before it made the intake.

All in all - a great weekend. I have a bunch of scratches and scrapes, mostly on the body "armor" mouldings and alloys to prove that I was there. I don't buy cars to pamper them - I buy them to be used. I may buy myself an alternate set of wheels with decent AT rubber mounted, and these will replace the nice shiny alloys and highway rubber on weekends like these. I hope to go away with the club more often, and look forward to longer trips once the XV has been set up for touring a little more. A roof pod and lightweight alloy trailer are next.

I've made a little video of my weekend, but the site won't allow me to show external youTube links? Maybe they are allowed after five posts or so. I've attached some of my photos as well as a couple from a friend along on the trip.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xv006.jpg (707.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg xv004.jpg (646.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 466509_10151687122496018_1276896399_o.jpg (356.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01042.jpg (356.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01105.jpg (1.19 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg xv002.jpg (649.3 KB, 21 views)

Omaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl
Default Re: G'Day from Sydney

Hello and welcome! Great to see another Aussie on the board!

And thanks for sharing some incredible snaps! Looks like a wonderful time, and I can already envision you and some fellow boardies here having a grand time sharing stories of pushing the little Crosstrek to its limits :-)

Surely we will watch for links you can share regarding parts and accessories you find in Oz that we do not see here in the US too!

As inspiring as your photos of your local club's outing are... It makes me wonder how long before we here in the US have a round-up (for all you US folks... Think Sturgis for Crosstreks). Hehehe

Great stuff! Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

Thanks for the hearty welcome avimia

I'll be sure to put many more photos up and chat to you guys there. I wish that I had an XV when I lived in the States for four years, in both Poughkeepsie NY and Aliso Viejo, CA. New York was my east coast base and I used to drive everywhere - into PA, CT and RI every other day, snow and all. I also used to scoot up Mt San Jacinto on weekends and camp during winter near the summit. This little car would have been brilliant.

I guess that I'll find out how to post YouTube videos, because I have one I want to post - but search for "Subaru XV at River Island 4WD Park " and you'll find it anyway.

Again, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #4

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

Welcome to CCT and congrats!!!! Looks like you had a lot of fun off-roading with the XV! Nice pics!!!

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #5

Thanks Todd Make sure you check out the YouTube video too... :-X
Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #6

Welcome. Thanks for the pics. Nice setup!
Twist2Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Dessert Khaki

Awesome photos! Welcome aboard. No Guts - No Glory - EH?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Welcome, Omaroo, AWESOME pics, they are really giving me the itch to get out there in my XV. In the States we don't have the 'iS' model, but from my brief search online it looks like it is not the turbo version, correct? Either way, it obviously preformed great.

I'll check out the video myself, but it looks like you should be able to post links now. The limit is only on your first three posts and is there to help prevent spam. It's a bit inconvenient but it seems to do the trick.

Again, great looking XV and thanks for joining us here!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

You're a brave adventurer taking the XV in water deeper than its rated wading depth!

The pictures indicate possible off-road modifications in your future, am I correct? I'm sure your differentials will need extended breathers to handle all that wading!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #10

Thanks for the welcome everyone

AWDfreak> This was part of a Subaru Club weekend, and there are many members who have driven Subarus offroad in these conditions for decades. We are very careful with the vehicles, and observe a number of precautions before attempting any obstacle, including water. The air intake was adequately covered, the thermo fans disconnected (so they don't pull water though) and the diffs and brakes were stone cold. Extended breathers are on the agenda, for sure, but as you point out, the main problem is when you go through water with hot diffs. They cool quickly as they hit water, and the good old P1 V1 T1 combined gas law comes in to play. Temps drop, volume obviously stays the same so pressure has to drop - pulling water in to the diff housing. We stop for 15-20 minutes to let things cool completely before we go in. A water blind http://www.msa4x4.com.au/Products/WaterBra.asp is the best way to ford rivers or streams if you don't have a snorkel as it keeps the engine bay dry as long as you still have forward movement.

ClubCrosstrek> the '2.0iS' model here is basically what you guys call the 'Limited' I believe, with a few country-specific differences such as start/stop. It comes with leather, nav, sunroof, xenon headlights, etc. - i.e. the full fruit.