Good morning from the land of enchantment. - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Member
 
N6VHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 90
My Vehicle: 2015 XV Crosstrek (Tangerine Orange Pearl)
Default

Jeeez....I was freaking out because I have already put almost 10,000 miles on my new XV in about 4 months. You guys all seem to have me beat!

__________________
Southern California ~ Subaru Ambassador

N6VHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 159
My Vehicle: 2015 Silk Blue XV Crosstrek Premium, MT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6VHF View Post
Jeeez....I was freaking out because I have already put almost 10,000 miles on my new XV in about 4 months. You guys all seem to have me beat!
Bad thing is, I'll blow out my warranty in about 5 more weeks.
Wolverine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #13
Hero Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 811
Default

Extended warranty? Not sure it would even be worth it at the rate you're adding miles.....
__________________
"The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I'm doing."
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2015, 05:16 AM   #14
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 159
My Vehicle: 2015 Silk Blue XV Crosstrek Premium, MT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Extended warranty? Not sure it would even be worth it at the rate you're adding miles.....
Yeah, extended warranty might give me a few weeks at best. I'm my own mechanic anyway so......
Wolverine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #15
Site Team
 
AWDfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,940
My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default

My extended warranty lasted be a little bit less than a year on the 60,000 mile plan with my ridiculous commute. I wish I had chosen the longer one, because I had been a bit too naughty with my 5-speed manual Crosstrek.


If you're your own mechanic, and I'm not trying to scare you, but I'd like to share with you a few suggestions...

1) If this is your first Subaru, rely primarlily on OEM oil filters only, or filters that legitimately meet the OEM specs. There is an abundance of engine oils that meet the specs outlined in the owner's manual, but oil filters that meet Subaru's unusually high bypass valve spec are few.

Some of the ones I know that meet the spec are (but this list is not complete)
  • Subaru blue OEM (manufactured by Honeywell/FRAM)
  • Subaru black OEM (manufactured by Tokyo Roki, highly sought after)
  • Six star brand (Canadian OEM, manufactured by Northeast Imported Parts)
  • Purolator oil filters
  • certain Wix oil filters
  • pink STI (Subaru Tecnica International, prohibitively expensive, used by motorsport teams especially Subaru factory rally and race teams)


2) Monitor your tire pressures religiously. Check them only when cold. Subaru defines cold tires as being driven less than 1 mile and having sat for more than 3 hours.

The owner's manual calls for a monthly checkup. I go a step further and check all four drive tires once a week. I check the spare tire once a month, in line with the owner's manual recommendation.

I go the extra step and ensure the tires are uniformly exposed or shielded from sunlight and the vehicle set at a level surface such as a garage.

The reason why I preach this is because the lack of tire maintenance on my first Subaru resulted in a failing center differential and a driveline that was basically ready for the junkyard. To err on the side of caution considering you too drive an exceptionally high amount of miles per week compared to average commuters, periodically check your tire wear patterns and inspect the suspension alignment angles. A bad alignment can snowball from a slight inconvenience, to unevenly worn tires, to eventual driveline component damage.

Oh, and I'd recommend running the specified tire pressures on your tire placard at the driver doorjamb. If you're adamant on running higher pressures, I'd advise to use the same front-to-rear proportion of pressure as the specified pressures on the placard.


3) If you haven't already (I would be concerned if you don't do this already), do a pre-drive inspection every day before you begin driving to the letter according to the owner's manual, as well as inspections during fuel stops.

For my 5-speed manual 2014 Crosstrek, I put this on my sunvisor's map hold as a reminder:
http://i.imgur.com/6qTdCYq.png


In addition, checking all fluids according to the owner's manual is something that should be done during every fuel up.

Like I said, #3 should be something you're already doing. If not, I'd recommend you get in the habit of doing.




If you too have any suggestions on such preventive maintenance checks and services, I'd like you to share considering I too still have a bit of high mileage mega-commuting to go.
__________________
"Why would I want to profess my feelings for some 3D girl?" - Tomoya Aki from the anime Saekano
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #16
Hero Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
My extended warranty lasted be a little bit less than a year on the 60,000 mile plan with my ridiculous commute. I wish I had chosen the longer one, because I had been a bit too naughty with my 5-speed manual Crosstrek.


If you're your own mechanic, and I'm not trying to scare you, but I'd like to share with you a few suggestions...

1) If this is your first Subaru, rely primarlily on OEM oil filters only, or filters that legitimately meet the OEM specs. There is an abundance of engine oils that meet the specs outlined in the owner's manual, but oil filters that meet Subaru's unusually high bypass valve spec are few.

Some of the ones I know that meet the spec are (but this list is not complete)
  • Subaru blue OEM (manufactured by Honeywell/FRAM)
  • Subaru black OEM (manufactured by Tokyo Roki, highly sought after)
  • Six star brand (Canadian OEM, manufactured by Northeast Imported Parts)
  • Purolator oil filters
  • certain Wix oil filters
  • pink STI (Subaru Tecnica International, prohibitively expensive, used by motorsport teams especially Subaru factory rally and race teams)


2) Monitor your tire pressures religiously. Check them only when cold. Subaru defines cold tires as being driven less than 1 mile and having sat for more than 3 hours.

The owner's manual calls for a monthly checkup. I go a step further and check all four drive tires once a week. I check the spare tire once a month, in line with the owner's manual recommendation.

I go the extra step and ensure the tires are uniformly exposed or shielded from sunlight and the vehicle set at a level surface such as a garage.

The reason why I preach this is because the lack of tire maintenance on my first Subaru resulted in a failing center differential and a driveline that was basically ready for the junkyard. To err on the side of caution considering you too drive an exceptionally high amount of miles per week compared to average commuters, periodically check your tire wear patterns and inspect the suspension alignment angles. A bad alignment can snowball from a slight inconvenience, to unevenly worn tires, to eventual driveline component damage.

Oh, and I'd recommend running the specified tire pressures on your tire placard at the driver doorjamb. If you're adamant on running higher pressures, I'd advise to use the same front-to-rear proportion of pressure as the specified pressures on the placard.


3) If you haven't already (I would be concerned if you don't do this already), do a pre-drive inspection every day before you begin driving to the letter according to the owner's manual, as well as inspections during fuel stops.

For my 5-speed manual 2014 Crosstrek, I put this on my sunvisor's map hold as a reminder:
http://i.imgur.com/6qTdCYq.png


In addition, checking all fluids according to the owner's manual is something that should be done during every fuel up.

Like I said, #3 should be something you're already doing. If not, I'd recommend you get in the habit of doing.




If you too have any suggestions on such preventive maintenance checks and services, I'd like you to share considering I too still have a bit of high mileage mega-commuting to go.
AWDfreak, if it isn't already, your post should be a sticky!
__________________
"The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I'm doing."
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:55 AM   #17
Site Team
 
AWDfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,940
My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default

Well, I'd have to integrate a few more maintenance things I keep in mind, but I will try to get to that by the middle of this week. Appreciate the suggestion!
__________________
"Why would I want to profess my feelings for some 3D girl?" - Tomoya Aki from the anime Saekano
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.