Hello! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #1

Default Hello!

Hello everyone! Iím new to the forum, and have been really looking at Crosstreks for the last two years. Have read a lot on here the last few days, and decided to make my first post/ask questions.

So, if you had to do it all over again, what options would you absolutely get, what stuff have you found isnít a huge thing to have.

Is the smaller screen in the Premium a good one or would you have gone with the larger one in the limited?

Do you wish you would have got eyesight? If you have it do you use it/like it?

CVT or Manual? (I know dead horse) has the CVT really improved over previous versions?

What are some accessories that are absolute have to have and what are some you feel you might have wasted money on?

Which company makes the best lift for the money? (In your opinion what makes them the best?)

Thanks all! I look forward to reading your responses, and any other information you feel is pertinent that I might not have asked please feel free to add. Iím not after a speed demon, just something I can go over-landing, camping with and drive to and from work.

Jeff

AFMoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 09:49 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Welcome! I dont think you'll be unhappy with a Crosstrek. I wanted one for years and I finally bought a 2018 in Sept 2017.

Items I personally ordered from the dealer to come with my new car:

-Auto-dimming mirror with homelink
-Body side molding
-Rear bumper cover
-rear seat back protector

The above "mods" ^^^ are absolutely worth it from the dealer IMO. The below options are NOT worth it IMO.

-Sunshade
-All weather floor mats
-STi roof spoiler
-crossbars

You can get a MUCH better/cheaper sunshade aftermarket. The all weather floor mats are not to the same caliber I was used to from my old Subaru. Aftermarket WeatherTech or similar are a better option. The STi spoiler looks OK... but its not THAT big of a difference over the standard one, and if I knew exactly what it was before ordering, I would not have gotten it and I wouldnt do it again. The corssbars are great if you stick with them. I personally got Yakima round bars to replace to OEM. Main reason was I like to DIY and made a couple different mods out of them as well.

I got the Premium model as the cost to gain wasnt worth the Limited. I dont care for leather to begin with, and you cant get cloth in the Limited (last I knew anyways). The stereo head unit is perfectly fine as is (once you have the firmware updated, it was buggy from the factory).

I did not get eyesight and am still fine without it. I THINK you have to have a cvt for eyesight to be an option if I remember correctly. Bringing me to that I got the 6-speed transmission (starting 2018, all models 2017 and older were 5-speed or cvt). Ive never personally owned an automatic so I saw no reason to start now.

Lift kits are fairly subjective. Big names for the kits are ADF, LP, Readylift and a few others. I went with the ADF for their pricing (one of the cheapest) and still making an awesome quality product, also being made in the USA if that matters to you.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #3

Awesome!!! Thanks for the reply!! I watched the videos from Blakeís garage and it seems straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Nice haha! We had a good time filming that vid.

All the lift options should be very similar install, maybe a minor difference here and there, but thats the jist of it!
Old 02-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
Nice haha! We had a good time filming that vid.

All the lift options should be very similar install, maybe a minor difference here and there, but thats the jist of it!

Only one Manual within 350 miles of me. Figures.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2018 Premium

Hi there,

I bought my 2018 Crosstrek Premium in October 2017, and still love it. I dont feel like I would have enjoyed eyesight, and with a CVT I get better gas mileage, but a manual transmission would be more fun to drive. I personally have had 0 problems with my CVT and iv taken it off road a bit with very heavy loads.

I previously owned an 02 Honda S2000, so it was a pretty big change for me, but I purchased it for hauling mine and my wife's kayaks.

As far as OEM mods go I have:
-Auto dimming mirror with home link
-Rear bumper cover
-Rear seat back protectors
-All weather floor mats

I love them all except for the floor mats, there are better ones out there.

I chose to not get the OEM crossbars because im pretty much a Yakima fanboy.
Instead, here's my roof rack setup:
-Yakima medium core bars with timberline towers
-Yakima windshield (honestly not needed with core bars)
-2 pairs of Yakima Jay-Lows for hauling 2 kayaks (you really only need one set, but I was going more for appearance)
-Yakima hood loops, These work well for strapping down the bow of my kayaks. The tie down point under the front bumper seems to cause problems to have the loops under the hood provided a more direct line

Some other mods include:
- Curt 2 inch hitch
-Curt basket cargo carrier with the 2 inch fixed shank.

For a lift kit I dont have one yet, but iv'e decided to go with SubieLift OZ. ADF would be a second show for me as well. In addition to the lift im going to be upgrading my springs to the OEM height RalliTEK springs because they're stiffer than OEM, but not as stiff as King Springs.

Actually the exact suspension setup that I want has been done by StarDude Outdoors (youtube channel).

My biggest complaint with my crosstrek so far is the soft springs. IMO stiffer springs are more important than lift spacers. The lift looks nice, but if you're placing heavy load on your crosstrek the springs are going to be more helpful with keeping your crosstrek from bottoming out.
Nostrebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #7

Awesome! Thank you for your insight as well.