Hello Crosstrek Peeps - I picked up my new subie on 10/31 :) - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #11

My Vehicle: 2014 Crosstrek Limited (Khaki) // 2015 WRX Premium (WR Blue Pearl)
Default Re: Hello Crosstrek Peeps

I am definitely taking all the information into consideration. There is a car show in Sacramento this weekend I will be going to where the Hybrid along with other Subaru's will be on show. I am excited to check them all out and see what information I can get.

For those of you with Crosstreks what kind of City MPG are you seeing? I drive really only within the city with very limited highway unless we are taking a trip to see family on the weekends.

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #12

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

I rarely drive on the highway and I'm getting 31.2 mpg at the moment with 20k on my xv.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #13

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

I get an average 34mpg. Beats my LR2 for sure! ;-)
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimia
Welcome to the board! You're making a great choice in the XV for sure.

Have to say ditto to other points about the hybrid. If your lifestyle is one that you know you never leave the city, maybe it's ok. But more than likely, at some point you're going out of those boundaries. In this case you better have a second car. The fact is, in the US, while hybrids have appeal to environmental awareness, they simply don't fit into mainstream America lifestyle (yet anyway). And Subies are all about lifestyle. If hybrids were the way to go, everyone in the US would have one. But along with the unique expenditures they have, the US simply isn't logistically set up yet for hybrids (how many charging stations do you see at rest stops)?

I only drive in the city or inner-city highways too. No road trips. But, a single round trip to work and home would have the car flipping over to gas for me anyway. When I get home, the last thing I want to do is mess around with plugging a car in, etc.

For me, the messing around with gauging where I want to go, with amount of charge left, is just a hassle. I had to admit I probably was not going to fool around with all that and would leave the car on gas mode any way. I couldn't validate the cost, the added maintenance, and the constant charge level monitoring to paying for the added cost to my electric bill anyway.

Obviously, the choice is completely a personal one. There are some who have already purchased the hybrid and they love it. So, the answer may simply be, take a good look at how you actually live. How do you personally function with a car of any type? Think about how/where you drive on a daily basis. But then also, where you went over the past year. Did you have even one trip outside of your territory? Do you have another car you can take should you be out of charge and already low on gas? How often will you burn gas out of a single tank to ensure you keep fresh gas running through the system? Think of your human logistics, and perhaps it will help with your decision.

Good luck. And no matter which you choose, we're happy you're here and do keep us posted!
The hybrid they have isn't a plug in so that shouldn't be an issue, the battery/electric motor is charged when you apply the brakes. The electric motor is used while driving at slower speeds then the gas engine will kick in when needed. Its the same technology as used by the Prius and other hybrid cars which is cool. I had looked at some of the plug in vehicles offered by other companies and really the cost to charge is low however getting the charger installed would be almost $3K (parts and labor) which is nuts!

I checked out a Hybrid at the International Car Show in Sacramento, I really loved the extra options. I just need to get in a drive the hybrid.
I already drove the gas model and loved it, I just need to make the final choice early 2014 when the mustang will be going away (which my husband is leaning toward hybrid big time)
Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthereyouare
I rarely drive on the highway and I'm getting 31.2 mpg at the moment with 20k on my xv.
31.2 with mostly city? That's impressive, def beats my 18 MPG I am getting right now :-[

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimia
I get an average 34mpg. Beats my LR2 for sure! ;-)
8)
Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #16

Keep your fingers crossed for me....if everything works out by the end of this week I could be the proud owner of a 2014 Khaki Limited w/ Sunroof and Nav 8)

The local dealer cut me a great price just working on financing and my trade in to seal the deal.

EDIT --

Well I picked up a 2014 Desert Khaki Limited w/ Moonroof and Navi last night.
The dealer cut me a great deal and sold me a 2014 at the clearance price they have the 2013's at since they didn't have a 2013 in the color I wanted or with the options I wanted. I am so happy! I couldn't have wished for a better car, I finally feel like I am in something I can keep and rely on for many years to come 8)

I have to thank all of you for your information on here, it really gave me the confidence I was getting the right car. I knew I loved it but reading posts from so many owners that love them sealed the deal that I was making the best decision.

I am looking forward to talking with yall more as I get more miles under my Subie belt.