Hello Crosstrek Peeps - I picked up my new subie on 10/31 :) - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 Crosstrek Limited (Khaki) // 2015 WRX Premium (WR Blue Pearl)
Default Hello Crosstrek Peeps - I picked up my new subie on 10/31 :)

Hey All! I have been reading on the boards for a while now getting information on the crosstrek and decided to register. ;D

I am in the market looking to pick up a 2014 Crosstrek, deciding between the standard and hybrid right now but leaning more to the hybrid with my daily drive being mostly city.

Yall post great info so I am happy to join here and be a part of the crew.

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited Ice Silver
Default Re: Hello Crosstrek Peeps

Welcome CaliHK,

We love our XV Crosstrek, I bet you'll be happy with yours when you get it. Ours is a 2013 so its not a hybrid we're happy with it. Glad you like the forum. Crosstrekers are good folks, you'll find lots of them here.
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #3

Yeah from the test drive I could tell I am gunna love it ;D glad you love it and happy to read so many people loving their Subie.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

Welcome CaliHK.

Not to talk you out of a hybrid, but have you checked out the MPG gains over a gas XV. It's not that much maybe a couple of miles. Also something to think about, a hybrid needs a licensed/certified mechanic to work on them. Since they have a ton of battery power. So taking it to your local garage, they may not want to work on it.

With that said, I do like the the LED lights on it. Wished they came on the gas version.

I'll have mine for a year now and really like it.

Either choice you make I'm sure you'll like it.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #5

Yeah the battery thing is one thing that we have been talking about. I generally take my cars to the dealer for all service anyway since I have yet to find any local garages here that I like. I am concerned with the increased cost of maintenance and the battery over time or if it needs replacement.
I am so on the fence, so any input you guys have I am so open to hear. I would rather hear from owners than sales guys I started reading boards to decide if the Crosstrek was the right car for me before I even went to a dealer to drive it.

I just cant wait to get back into a Subaru.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited, ice silver metallic

I have the 2013 and generally exceed the rated mpg's. On a trip to Baltimore from New York, I got 37.5 mpg (dash said 39 mpg, but that is consistently 1.5mpg higher than what I actually achieve). I am impressed with this vehicle and if dollars are part of your decision, I would stick with the gas engine. The Hybrid gets a few mph more, but that does not warrant the cost and it does not have the super sporty rims that the gas engine has.
JohnKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

I'll toss my 2 cents in here...
Most hybrids achieve so little improvement in mileage over the gassers that it takes many many years to recoup the initial extra expense. You may want to do the math on it.

Others buy the hybrid in appreciation of our environment. Unfortunately, the extra pollution created by battery production offsets the reduction of combustion pollution to a significant extent. I'm not sure how to do the math on that. I was recently told a Hummer has a lower carbon footprint than a Prius up to 80,000 miles dilute to the batteries and the fact that Hummers are built in the USA as a opposed to Japan.

You won't have the USA option but the message is clear, the gains we get in buying a hybrid take time to be realized. Possibly far more time than we think.

That's why I'm going to buy a gas XV; and I'm a tree-hugger.

Good luck to you!
Squenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

I read in consumer reports at one time the amount of people that buy another hybrid after owning one already. The number is extremely low, they tend to go back to the fuel version. Thought that ratio was interesting.

The concept of a hybrid vehicle is truly amazing(to me), why they can't make them get crazy mileage like 100's per gallon. I'm not really sure. I guess the fuel companies still have there hand in them as well some how.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal Black Silica/Ivory Leather/Moon/Nav

Something else to think about is how long you want to hold on to your car. To me, it's really not cost effective when buying to hold on to a car for less than 8-10 years. The battery life appears to be about 10 years on a hybrid from what I've read. So if you want to keep your car for that long plus replacing the battery in addition to polluting the environment with that used battery may not be worthwhile in the end. My $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Welcome to the board! You're making a great choice in the XV for sure.

Have to say ditto to other points about the hybrid. If your lifestyle is one that you know you never leave the city, maybe it's ok. But more than likely, at some point you're going out of those boundaries. In this case you better have a second car. The fact is, in the US, while hybrids have appeal to environmental awareness, they simply don't fit into mainstream America lifestyle (yet anyway). And Subies are all about lifestyle. If hybrids were the way to go, everyone in the US would have one. But along with the unique expenditures they have, the US simply isn't logistically set up yet for hybrids (how many charging stations do you see at rest stops)?

I only drive in the city or inner-city highways too. No road trips. But, a single round trip to work and home would have the car flipping over to gas for me anyway. When I get home, the last thing I want to do is mess around with plugging a car in, etc.

For me, the messing around with gauging where I want to go, with amount of charge left, is just a hassle. I had to admit I probably was not going to fool around with all that and would leave the car on gas mode any way. I couldn't validate the cost, the added maintenance, and the constant charge level monitoring to paying for the added cost to my electric bill anyway.

Obviously, the choice is completely a personal one. There are some who have already purchased the hybrid and they love it. So, the answer may simply be, take a good look at how you actually live. How do you personally function with a car of any type? Think about how/where you drive on a daily basis. But then also, where you went over the past year. Did you have even one trip outside of your territory? Do you have another car you can take should you be out of charge and already low on gas? How often will you burn gas out of a single tank to ensure you keep fresh gas running through the system? Think of your human logistics, and perhaps it will help with your decision.

Good luck. And no matter which you choose, we're happy you're here and do keep us posted!