Hello Everyone - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #1

My Vehicle: Crosstrek
Default Hello Everyone

Well, I don't have a XV yet...but here's the quick story of how I got here.

Back in May, I was at the trailhead ending my mountain bike ride and I saw the most gorgeous green Jeep Rubicon. Now, I had planned to drive the wheels off my Suzuki Grand Vitara but the Rubicon was just too sexy! I've been working hard so maybe it was time for something new.

So the next day, off to the Jeep dealer I went. I test drove a Rubi but couldn't really get myself motivated to buy one and I couldn't put my finger on it. I really wanted to like it. I wasn't crazy about the mileage and I wasn't sure how I'd like it for a long road trip.

And then I drove the Ford Escape. Fun engine, but I knew I'd beat the crap out of it on dirt roads. I'm an avid mountain biker and photographer and I like to get "out there" ya know.

So fast forward to a few weeks ago and I'm at my favorite bike shop and see the Crosstrek. What's this? Cool. So I go drive one and I like it a lot, (it grows on you, and so does that mileage) but...there aren't any with the options I want anywhere!

I'm thinking of ordering a limited this week but still don't know what color. I've never seen the Tangerine in person but I think I'd like it because I have a KTM 990 Adventure motorcycle that is orange. I've never seen one around here so it's not too common. I like the dark silver and the white is cool too. What do you think? Is orange to loud for a 50 year old active dude?

So that's my story. One question though. I've seen in photos here, some kind of side/door protector. Is that an aftermarket option?

Good to meet everyone.

-Ron

XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl
Default Re: Hello Everyone

Hi XLR and welcome!

First off, you're never too old for an XV and certainly not to old to have it in the Tangerine! We have a lot of folks here who aren't the Subie "target audience" (the young professionals), myself included. And of those, there's quite a few with the Tangerine. Sure, Subie is about style. But more than that, they are all about lifestyle. And you can't put an age on that. So if you like the Tangerine, go for it!

Well, good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

I've got a tangerine, and I love it. My advice would be try to find somewhere you can see one in person. Pics online can be all over the place in terms of color (though I do think a lot of the pics loaded here without filters are pretty true to the tangerine color).

Personally, I was interested in tangerine, but so-so after looking at pics. I went to the dealer thinking to buy khaki or gray, but I asked to test drive the Tangerine just so I could see it. And of course, that same Tangerine crosstrek is the one I bought!
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #4

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek Limited (Black on Tan w Nav & Moonroof)

I am much like you XLR. I am near 50 but I ride a road bike. However, my wife loves to take nature pictures, so there is that. I came from a long history of mostly Ford and BMW SUV's when one day, almost a year ago, I spotted the XV on the internet. I could never get it out of my head so 6 weeks ago I bought one. I haven't looked back since.

I will tell you that getting your choice of color while being picky about options will be difficult. I wanted a limited, loaded and there just were not that many left to choose from. Also, I made a decision that I would rather own any 2013 XV instead of waiting for the hybrid in 2014. Engines shutting down at stop signs to save gas? My first car did that in 1982, I dare not go through that again!
0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 Desert Khaki XV, Premium w/Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8
So that's my story. One question though. I've seen in photos here, some kind of side/door protector. Is that an aftermarket option?
http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1939

This is the side body molding. You can get it from the dealer as well. They will install it for a fee, or you can install for free. I installed mine. It's very very easy to do.
Wilco1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

Welcome XLR8!!! I wouldn't "order" a subie, you'll wait for a longtime to actually get it. Go to the subaru website and look up dealers around you. You can check out there inventory. If you see a model and colors you like call 'em up and start down that route. Much easier than ordering a car from Japan. Trust me, I've been down that road.

Options... You can put most of them on yourself and buy them from the dealers. Well except for the Sunroof and the radio options and the standard options between premium and limited.

A lot of us here on this website have installed at least one of the many extra options for the XV and love talking about the process. So if you are thinking about how to install something just give a shout out, I'm sure one of us can answer your questions.

And the "Orange Tangerine Pearl" color. Isn't really a "Pearl" per say. A "Pearl" should shift color by looking at it from different angles. This is just Orange Tangerine color, a darker orange. Like AlexAlejan said, it's better to have a look see in person with the tangerine color. On the web, the color is different.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Tangerine Pearl

My friend has the KTM 990 in black and orange too! If you like that bike color scheme, you'll LOVE the Tangerine XV! I do think the orange color can look very different from picture to picture, so being able to see one 'in real life' first might be a good idea...but I'm pretty sure if you like your KTM, you'll love the orange XV
Premium, Manual
k2gdub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #8

My Vehicle: Crosstrek

Hey thanks everyone and thanks for the info. Good to meet you. I live in Idaho and there aren't many dealers around. The dealer here has 8 coming in and 4 are already sold. Tomorrow, he'll have an orange loaner that I can see and drive and we can go from there. If I have to wait, that's how it goes. There's not much else I can do. I waited all summer to get a look at a Jeep Rubicon.
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #9

My Vehicle: Subaru, Crosstrek, 2013, Orange

I got the Tangerine Orange, and am pushing 40, so Ill most likely still be driving it when I'm 50.
fuzzfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

ordering the exact one you want is a bit of a pain at this point. As some others have said, it will likely take forever. I would have waited about 3.5-4 months for the one I wanted, if not longer.

Instead, my dealer put my name on the next unclaimed XV that was due them, and did a dealer trade for one that was close enough to what I wanted. I asked if they could find one with the options I wanted and I wouldn't care what the exterior color was, as long as the interior was dark. I had my XV at least a month earlier than expected. I ended up with khaki rather than the dark grey metallic I'd wanted, but I think I like it better anyway.

Anyway, my point is, it may be best (and will almost certainly be fastest) to have a couple options you'd be okay with and see about a dealer trade or getting one off the lot at your dealer that's 'close enough'.

of course, if you have the time and patience to get exactly what you want, then by all means wait!