Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Hello From Charlotte, NC!

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dschobz7887 
#1 ·
Figured it was time to take the dive and buy a Crosstrek. After months of researching and dealing with multiple dealers, I finally brought a Tangerine Orange Pearl 5sp Crosstrek two days ago. This is my second Subaru and so far loving every moment of it! I came from an 04 WRX, so it took some getting used to not being able to peel away from other mustangs, etc. ;)

Since, this is my first brand new vehicle, I pose a question. How did everyone break in their engines? I know there are certain things people do, such as no more than 65 mph on the highway, etc, but what did you all do?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the site! I am from Wilmington myself, though I haven't lived there in about five years, but I still love NC. Congrats on the Crosstrek purchase, what made you go from the turbo WRX to the N/A Crosstrek? I had a WRX a while ago and that thing was such a blast to drive.

As far as breaking in, I believe try to stay under 65mph/4k RPM is good, as well as downshifting for engine braking to help everything "set". I could be wrong about my numbers, though.

Thank you for signing up!

#4 ·
Hello and Welcome to the site! I just clicked 13 K but I remember varying speed and keeping revs below 4000 as has been mentioned. Did this to 1,000 miles and its been rode hard since! Quite a few of us on here believe in setting the rings and other internal bits by allowing back pressure do its thing upon deceleration- much easier in our 5 speeds IMO. The hope is to match up rings/ cylinder walls early- the successful mating process will produce a long and happy marriage as the miles accumulate.

Roll on 5 speeds, roll on!

#7 ·
Welcome and congrats...

As said in previous posts.... 1000 miles under 4000 rpms.. but keep the rpms varying as you drive... upshifting and downshifting as not to hold at a steady rpm too long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.