Hello from the Pacific NW - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Limited Quartz Blue Pearl
Default Hello from the Pacific NW

Hello every one, my name is Aaron and I will be getting my Crosstrek in just a few months now. This will be my first Subie. I am very excited as it will replace my Honda minivan....which is has seen more off roading that 90% of 4x4's on the road BTW. I live in Portland, OR and can't wait to have an adequate vehicle to take to the mountains to ski and along some nasty FS roads to get to the trailhead for backpacking. I am drooling over all the mods on here. Thanks to everyone with all the posts and pics, very informative. I look forward collaborative effort that makes a forum like this possible.

A-A-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2016, 02:21 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Welcome to the club!

Since you're new to Subaru, I highly recommend you check out the New to Subaru thread. And if you are getting a Subaru brand new, don't forget to also check and review the break-in procedures.

If you've taken your Honda Odyssey off-road, you will find a significant improvement in comfort and capability with the XV Crosstrek's raised suspension. With use off-road and winter use, I would highly recommend using a dedicated winter tire and/or all-terrain tire such as the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in 215/60R17.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:17 AM   #3

AWDfreak, thanks for the recommendations of the winter tires. I was planning on a winter tire, however, I get a crosseyed look from Subaru owners that head up to the resorts for skiing. They all just run their stock tires. Excited about these decisions I'll have to make over the next few months. Was out skiing today up at Mt. Hood and 1/2 to parking lot were subies, and 2/3'ds of those were outbacks. Just don't like the styling of the "wagon" and the current iteration of the outback is such a large vehicle....I want to downsize from my minivan, not make a lateral move. I think another reason people here resonate with the outback more is it has more bells and whistles. For me, the Cross trek has plenty and I'll have no problem parallel parking it on the city streets of Portland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 03:50 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 16 Crosstrek

Hi neighbor. I'm down in Salem and I am also new to the forum. Have a Crosstrek and a Jeep (2004 TJ). The Crosstrek is no Jeep but...having been all over the forest roads, and I mean all over, of OR and WA (aren't we lucky), the Crosstrek can do about 80% of them that the Jeep can do with some minor mods. For example you can go to Shuttle Lake (super kayak lake) from Oakridge stock but don't even think about coming in from Crescent Lake in the Crosstrek. I am a big fan of BFG KO2's (have them on my Jeep and Crosstrek). Had to go to 16" rims (Sparco) and 215/65/16 tires. If I had to do it again I would look for a 45 offset rim, however. For us out here, this is would be IMO the first mod - unbelievable in the snow. Think twice about the Primitive skid plate (front). Hangs too low. But more on that later. I'm modifying it now, but frankly I wish I hadn't got it even though that oil pan hangs low and concerns me somewhat. Going to Joshua Tree and Ansa-Borrega soon, so will see how this rig holds up. Enjoy the Subaru - it will tend to grow on you. See you out there!
JMft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMft View Post
Hi neighbor. I'm down in Salem and I am also new to the forum. Have a Crosstrek and a Jeep (2004 TJ). The Crosstrek is no Jeep but...having been all over the forest roads, and I mean all over, of OR and WA (aren't we lucky), the Crosstrek can do about 80% of them that the Jeep can do with some minor mods. For example you can go to Shuttle Lake (super kayak lake) from Oakridge stock but don't even think about coming in from Crescent Lake in the Crosstrek. I am a big fan of BFG KO2's (have them on my Jeep and Crosstrek). Had to go to 16" rims (Sparco) and 215/65/16 tires. If I had to do it again I would look for a 45 offset rim, however. For us out here, this is would be IMO the first mod - unbelievable in the snow. Think twice about the Primitive skid plate (front). Hangs too low. But more on that later. I'm modifying it now, but frankly I wish I hadn't got it even though that oil pan hangs low and concerns me somewhat. Going to Joshua Tree and Ansa-Borrega soon, so will see how this rig holds up. Enjoy the Subaru - it will tend to grow on you. See you out there!
Welcome to the club!

That, the Primitive Racing engine skidplate actually does. In fact, the Subaru XV Crosstrek loses ground clearance as a result of it:
http://i.imgur.com/KQIIsuK.jpg
In my picture of the tape measure, it has, at a glance, a minimum ground clearance of about 7 inches. Stock, it is rated at 8.7 inches of minimum ground clearance.

I know one of the other alternative skid plates available is from Gorilla Offroad but I do not know if it also eats away ground clearance.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #6

Thanks AWDfreak. Good to be here. I am making some mods to the front plate now. If it works I'll post in the future. I did get a little greedy and so some fine tuning is needed. And for A-A-Ron, I got my "S" lakes mixed up - it's Summit Lake. Take care all.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips. As far as the BF Goodrich KO2's with the smaller rim, that's my first on my to do list. I know some on here do as you did with the 16 inch rims to keep the same wheel dia, and some even had go as far as 215/75 R15 (LP adventure, they're out of Quebec)....looks awesome, but wonder if its bit too big, although the rig they show has a 2 inch lift kit. A lift kit is a ? on my to do list. It's a costly mod that I would need to have done professionally, bit beyond my skill set. Already talked to Paul at Primitive Racing, which is just a few miles from my house, and I can buy the lift kit form them and they can install it. My one reservation with the tire and/or lift kit mod is that the Subaru dealer told me that any lift and/or non-stock sized tire would void the warranty.....Seems insane to me. Does anyone know if this is really true?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Ive never heard that it would void the warranty.

Although, if you were to lift it an insane amount where it would be stretching the limitations of the axles, brake lines ect, and something like that were to break... id understand if they didnt cover it.

But a 2 inch lift, is not going to put any of those parts in any more jeopardy than they already are. And a lift will not effect engine issues for warranty.
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #9

Yes A-A-Ron, I agree with the stupidchicken03. Sounds like a dealer thing. They all have their takes. I suppose, one could argue on the lift affecting the suspension portion of the warranty (maybe, but a real stretch), but the whole warranty????? On the wheels, the spare (donut) is mounted on a 16" rim, so does using that void the warranty? Also the Method wheels (MR502) were developed for the Subaru rally team, that's why they are one of few if not only 15" wheel that will clear. One thing - the stock 17" rims have a 48mm offset. The Methods have a 15mm offset which pushes the wheel/tire out (looks great IMO) but does considerably affect the scrub radius. The Sparco's (Paul sells these) are a 50mm offset. I would have preferred something at 45mm to help offset the slightly narrower tire but that's a little nitpicky on my part.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #10

Very cool to hear. Thank you. Yeah, kinda thought that was a dealer thing. New car salesmen are just a hair above used care salesmen.