Hello from the Rincons - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #11

Default Re: Hello from the Rincons

Hi all,

Just an update on our progress:

Rocinate continues to succumb to mechanical entropy. Following the advice and contributions in response to my intro post (and a good deal of common sense) I test drove both Crosstrek manual and CVT transmissions over a weekend, negotiated a very strong price on the next Wednesday (06/12/13), immediately ordered the Rally Armor mud guards for delivery on Friday (they arrived 06/14/13) and made an appointment with the local 3M custom fitters for Monday morning (06/17/13). Long story short - as of Sunday, the 16th of June we are proud and satisfied new owners of a 2013 Crosstrek 5 MT, Satin White Pearl, with a full cut bikini bra, Rally Armor mud guards (very easy to fit), and a few other extras that I installed myself (side molding, seat back protector).

The vehicle now has just over one thousand miles on the odometer, and we have no regrets. The driving dynamics of the Crosstrek are quite different from our previous Subaruís Ė not better, not worse, just different. Iím still in the process of finding optimal shifting ranges and have remained under 4000 rpm throughout. We are on the second fill-up since driving off the dealer lot, and fuel consumption is remarkable (provided you drive it that way), averaging 34 mpg in mixed driving (indicated 36.7, but I like to run my own figures).

There are a few items I will be adding, foremost an effective way of improving the mid-range of the speakers. I have also found an overseas manufacturer of Crosstrek engine, gear-box and differential protection panels, and will try to ascertain cost and shipping to the U.S. Iím not sold on the short throw shifter yet as Iíve never owned an automatic and, while there is some imprecision in the Crosstrek shifter, shift travel does not seem excessive, though Iíd be hard pressed to call it snappy.

More to come as we rack up the miles.

Best,

GITM

Ghost In The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #12

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Hiya AZ-neighbor GITM! Good to see you again and big congratulations on the SWP XV!! (of course, I'm partial to the color). You surely made a smart decision and already have gotten some great mods (isn't she sexy in the "bikini" cut clear bra)? She is on mine! hehehee.

I upgraded the tweeters, mids, and subwoofer and holy cow what a difference. If you mod that route, you surely will be pleased!

Do keep us posted and let us know how things go for you.. and her. Say... post some pics too!!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #13

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Just saw your update, Ghost. Congrats on the purchase, it really sounds like you are loving it and made the perfect decision.