Hello from the Rincons - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 06-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #1

Default Hello from the Rincons

Greetings all and sundry from the shadows of the Rincon Mountains,

I've had the pleasure of reading and learning from all the XV owners on this site, and greatly appreciate the passion and insight. We are planning on purchasing an XV 5 MT come autumn (depending upon how long Rocinante, our 2002 Subaru Outback Sport, defies the call of mechanical entropy), and would love to hear from all of you on the following:

Which options did you select for your vehicle?
Which of these were worthwhile, of which do you have second thoughts?
What investments did you make to protect your purchase (paint protection, clear bra, brush guards etc.)?
If I could provide you with a time machine what would you have done differently, and why?
If I could provide you with the winning numbers for tonight's lottery, how would you throw caution to the wind and indulge your XV desires?

This ghost would like to be in a new machine come September/October, and every little bit of knowledge you care to share will reduce the probability of a haunting.

Best,

GITM

Ghost In The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.
Default Re: Hello from the Rincons

Love the intro GITM! Welcome to the site and CCt. Let me be the 1st to welcome another 5 speeder to the fold 8). You ask some intuitive questions and I KNOW. You'll gain valuable advice/opinion.
Let me run down your list of ?s
-I bought the first one that arrived here in Charleston (Nov.2012)All I wanted was the manual, period. It only has cloth, no navi, no sunroof, nothing....and it's perfect.
-2nd thoughts- maybe color? And that's a very minor maybe. I have black, but would have taken a Khaki if it were available.
-protection- none. Wash by hand and waxed it at 4 mos. nothing else. Considered clear bra but probably not going to happen. Not a bad idea though.
-no changes really, no regrets. I have 14K and average 30 mpg. It's a utility vehicle for me that gets good mileage and gets me up/down the mountains (getaway). Does everything I want it to do and then some.
-Lottery #s? That's a great ? ....I'd give my XV to my daughter and buy back the CTSV I sold when two of my kids entered college! Lol. Enjoy your journey, and again, welcome.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:16 AM   #3

Welcome!!

I think a manual XV is a solid choice!

I picked up mine April of this year after my 2012 Sport met it's demise with a snow plow, she was never the same again despite all the kings men putting her back together. After 9 weeks of waiting, much to my dealer's shock and dismay, I went with the 5MT, in Tangerine Orange, because I have been drooling over it since it came out.

-Went premium because 5MT was more important than the sunroof to me
-Black cloth seats are WAY easier to clean than the ivory ones
-No Navigation system, the aftermarket option proved to be easy peasy and way better choice than subaru's navi option.
-Added the wing (totally makes it stand out) and the splash guards

Investments made,

-I clean and wash it once every two weeks
-upgraded headlights to silverstar zXe's
-No changes and no regrets on anything with the purchase. I love the utility of the vehicle and it's ability to stomp anywhere I can take it.

Time machine,

I would have gone back, invented the pet rock, and bought an XV, and the bad ass WRX in the Tangerine color I saw today!

Lottery,

See Time Machine.

Welcome!!

Anymore questions send them freely! You won't regret your future purchase!

p.s. Turn your old outback sport into a crazy side project!

-Louis C.K.
Phoenix622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Hello GITM and welcome!

Fellow Arizona Desert Dweller here too! :-)

This is awesome as Ikon is from Arizona and so is kdspuck who just joined this week. kdspuck is in your neck of the tumbleweeds in Tucson! Ikon and I are a bit more north ;-)

To answer your excellent questions:

I got the Limited CVT, navi, Aero Bars.

Which of these were worthwhile, of which do you have second thought?
No second thoughts at all... other than I would have had more goodies added before I drove off the lot. hahahaa!

What investments did you make to protect your purchase (paint protection, clear bra, etc)?
As the guys here will tell you, I'm all about protection mods. I have done:
  • [li]3M Clear Bra including back of rear-view mirrors and door handle cups[/li]
    [li]Paint Protection[/li]
    [li]Interior and Leather Protection[/li]
    [li]WeatherTech DigiFit Mats (front and rears)[/li]
    [li]Rear Bumper Protector[/li]
    [li]Hood deflector[/li]
    [li]Side window deflectors[/li]
    [li]XV Rubber mat interior compartment protectors[/li]
    [li]3M Nano Tint (put on just this past week. With our temperatures rising, it's already paying off and has made a HUGE difference)![/li]
    [li]Stainless Steel door sill plates[/li]
    [li]And.. oh yeah... matching white feather duster neatly tucked in to the driver door compartment. hehehe.[/li]
Hope to add the moon roof deflector and a few other goodies in the next month or two.

If I could provide you with a time machine what would you have done differently, and why?
Only thing I would have done differently was.... bought the XV before I bought my Land Rover LR2. In February, I bought the LR2. Test drove it and loved it. Drove it home that night and hated it. So, gave it to the hubby. One week later, found the XV and haven't looked back. Still threatening to dump the LR2 and get another XV. But, hubby is reaching for the LR Evoque (can't blame him there either).

If I could provide you with the winning numbers for tonight's lottery, how would you throw caution to the wind and indulge your XV desires?
I would upgrade her paint, and lift her up a bit higher and put bigger tires on her. I would probably put in a different head unit/navi system. Though the stock unit works fine, I find the interface a cause to rear up the A.D.D., and its kluge.

Will be watching to see what you get and please post pics when you do!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

RubySu, Phoenix622 and avimia,

Many thanks for your detailed and considerate replies. I'm really interested in your choices and the reasons and rationale that brought you to your decisions. And while I was consistent with my lottery numbers last night (bust - again) I would never have thought of claiming the pet rock as my invention. Very creative thinking there...

I've heard many reports and opinions about the XV - mostly positive, but a few sore thumbs stuck out, one of them being paint quality. Has anyone experienced issues with thin paint, excessive chipping etc? As you can tell from Rocinante we hang on to our Subaru's (though she is the third in our family) for quite some time before we send them out to pasture. And she already is a side project - new struts, rebuilt transmission, and still going strong at 170K miles. If I won the lottery she'd be the center of the donkey and mule sanctuary I'd open. So yes, any worthwhile investments made upfront at the time of purchase to prolong the life and luster of our XV will be part of our to-do list.

Again, many thanks for your replies and your kind welcome.

Best,

GITM
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Hi GITM,
Well yes... many comments are made regarding Subie having thin paint. However, its suspect that a lot of cars are this way now.

As for "excessive" chipping... I haven't noticed anything "excessive". Its probably like most cars and how/where you drive it.

As you know, we here in AZ have tons of sand and rocks on roads (highways included). So, inevitably, we're going to have more episodes of front end sand blasting and window chips (thank goodness windshield replacements are free here in AZ. LOL).

Because of this, I had the 3M Clear Bra installed and it provides a much more confident drive for me, knowing it's on there. I had to warm up to the idea as I hated seeing the straight-line seam across the hood. So, I had the installer put it on in the "bikini cut". Gives a bit more of a curvature to the seam and doesn't seem as pronounced. Since I did that, I love it. Some will even go ahead and have the entire hood covered. All a matter of what you want to spend. Don't forget to do the back of your rear view mirrors and see if they'll throw in door handle cups.

There are some who will even use the protection film on their headlights, fog lights and I have heard they make one for the windshield!

Xtrekr and a couple of the other guys have mentioned excellent ways to keep your Subie looking great. MacGuires and 3M seem to have some good treatment/maintenance products (there's another new one out too. High end stuff, but I can't remember the name). If you search the thread, I'm sure more will come up.

Donkey and Mule Sanctuary with a Subie in the middle? Now.. that's an interesting visual. LOL
Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.

GITM- I cant believe you asked this today- your timing is impeccable. I planned to come in and edit my post and then read your response. I washed my XV this afternoon and am appalled at the gross number of chips-14...15...I stopped counting. All on the hood/front bumper. The paint is junk- flat out. I'm not argumentative by nature but I'd be the last one to be convinced otherwise! I love the blue pigmenting I see in my black silica on occasion and it has a nice gloss BUT it is paper thin. For a 6 mo. old car that has 14K on it- what's it going to look like in two years? By contrast, my wife's Lexus Rx350 is virtually unmarked. Its a 08 with 45K. We drive the same roads and interstates. It's not even close. I've made up my mind that I'm going to buy the hood deflector or put on some type of clear film. Ive done it before on some higher end cars I've owned but rethought, as I was buying inexpensive this round, that I'd skip it and not worry. That was a mistake. There is a new film by 3m that is advertised to work for up to a year. Might be a inexpensive alternative as a self appliqué. Either way, don't do what I did- get something as soon as possible or you will be disappointed with your vehicles appearance in a relatively short time.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #8

Hi RubySu,

Many thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about the number of stone chips on your six month old XV. Our ‘02 Outback Sport is “Midnight Blue”, and even when driving my old Tyngsboro-Boston commute I did not experience that many chips in the hood. I did have a clear bra installed 4 months after I bought her though, so that certainly helped. Yesterday when waxing the ‘02 I could not find more than 9 chips in total across the hood and front bumper. The screen – well, that’s another matter.

On that note – it seems that with each successive Subaru I’ve owned the paint has become increasingly thin-skinned. I’ve come across four XVs parking in the lots in my neck of the woods, and all of them (with one exception) carry an impressive number of chips and nicks on their faces (all different colors to boot – Cherry Red, Tangerine Orange, Satin White Pearl and Khaki – and the white one had the fewest pimples on its face – age related?). So as avimia recommended I’ll have the whole 9-yard 3M Clear Bra (bikini-cut, woohoo) installed, as well as the front hood deflector. I found engine and rear differential protector plates as well as front and rear bumper guards on the Subaru Germany website; I’ve yet to determine if they will sell and ship to the US – that or buy from a supplier in China. Another item will be the short-throw shifter (excellent write-up by the Hulls) and sundry bits that I can install myself as my list nears completion.

Again, thanks for sharing your (penetrating) experiences.

Best,

GITM
Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

Welcome Ghost!

Limited- CVT, all weather package, bedliner, bumper guard

No real second thoughts, the trunk bedliner is awesome.

What investments did you make to protect your purchase (paint protection, clear bra, brush guards etc.)?

Nothing as of yet.

Not bought the car at the same time I was supposed to be taking an exam

Hood protector, window deflectors, spoiler, and a regular detailing!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Welcome to the site, Ghost!

Quote:
I got the premium with CVT, rear bumper guard, all weather mats with seat-back protector, and moon roof -- not much, but all I need!

Quote:
All of mine are worthwhile, no second thoughts. I do wish I had leather and navi, though it was out of my price range.

Quote:
Nothing, and I kind of regret it, though I guess it's not too late. This is my third Subaru and all of them have been known for bad paint (chips easily). I would recommend clear bra and maybe even hood deflector.

Quote:
MAYBE wait it out for the white or ice silver. I really like my black, don't get me wrong, it's just such a PITA to keep clean!

Quote:
This would really be a fun one. Since it wouldn't have to be my daily driver, I would really love to see what kind of dune buggy I could make out of the Crosstrek. Strip out the rear seats, pull out all the extra weight like the AC unit and whatever else isn't a necessity, pull the doors off, go crazy on the suspension/tires, etc. I don't know much about the mechanics of cars, but with enough money I think you could really make the XV light and fun as hell.

Quote:
This ghost would like to be in a new machine come September/October, and every little bit of knowledge you care to share will reduce the probability of a haunting.
Good luck on your purchase, I hope it works out for you! By September/October we'll have the 2014 models hitting the lot so I am excited to see what they have to offer.

Thank you for signing up!