Hey from NY - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #11

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.
Default Re: Hey from NY

"Semi-savvy" my as$! Looks great and I really appreciate the time you took to write/ explain it all. +1karma 8)

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #12

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Looks like a really clean install, Phoenix. One of my biggest issues with some of the nav's I've played with (at Best Buy-type stores) is that they can seem unresponsive. How is this Pioneer unit?

Also, this may be a dumb question, but does the BlueTooth still work? Thank you for all of this great info.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #13

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix622

Also, the parking brake bypass..depending on what model you get, find a youtube video to figure out what pin you have to move and ground out so you can actually nav while the car is in motion. Took about 5 minutes for a semi-savvy person like myself.
This is something thats been in the back of my mind. I don't mess with the nav when Im driving, but it would be nice to be able to make an adjustment without having to pull over.
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAlejan
Quote:

Also, the parking brake bypass..depending on what model you get, find a youtube video to figure out what pin you have to move and ground out so you can actually nav while the car is in motion. Took about 5 minutes for a semi-savvy person like myself.
This is something thats been in the back of my mind. I don't mess with the nav when Im driving, but it would be nice to be able to make an adjustment without having to pull over.

I agree Alex. Especially if I include the times when my wife or someone else is in the pass. Seat and can easily adjust the navi.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #15

Default Hey from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubySu
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAlejan
Quote:

I agree Alex. Especially if I include the times when my wife or someone else is in the pass. Seat and can easily adjust the navi.

It is very useful to do. I mean it's a judgement call on safety I feel. The bypass is a simple process though. Let me know if anyone needs more details

-Louis C.K.
Phoenix622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #16

I just wish you were closer Phoenix! That way if I started to mess it up, you could bail me out! I have this unwarranted fear of electrical installs of any type. Now if its replacing a axle or motor, swapping a transmission- I'm all game-done it more times than I care to remember. As soon as I get to a wiring harness-YIKES I wanna turn and run! Let alone dash/stereo aftermarket-scared to death of it!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #17

If you can swap a transmission I have the utmost confidence that you can transplant one measly little wire from one spot on a harness to another! ;D I use to be afraid of wiring but the great thing about wiring harnesses are that your factory wiring doesn't get the brunt of the action therefor the worst thing that can happen is you buy a new harness for $15. If you (or anyone else for that matter) is really getting the ball rolling on the install I can attempt to pull apart the dash to take some more pictures of the wiring getup.

Don't be scared! It is just a bit of copper surrounded by rubber!!

What's the worst that can happen.....famous last words....

-Louis C.K.
Phoenix622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #18

I'm getting better at it, I guess. I swapped out my the navi in my daughters QX4 a few months back and it was quite simple. Then again, it was the exact same thing out/in. It's not the dash that's scary, or the electric current, it's the putting it back together and it not working due to something not being powered correctly or shorting something out. It's a mutant phobia, I agree!

Haven't decided to do yet, and probably won't because I have too many funds going out to spend on (yet another) car upgrade. Thanks for the encouragement though!