How I ended up with a Crosstrek - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #1

My Vehicle: Crosstrek XV Limited, Orange
Default How I ended up with a Crosstrek

So I own a 99 Isuzu Vehicross which has been a great vehicle for me, but it's bad gas mileage and lack of cargo space in addition minor maintenance needs associated with a ~14 year old car had me start looking for a replacement a few months ago. I originally was looking for a small pick up that gets good mileage but I found that they all get about the same mileage as modern V-8s (low 20s or worse), and all of their designs were getting to be dated (at least the ones you an buy in the US). After not having much luck with pick ups I realized that I want to be able to lock up the stuff (i.e. my mountain bike) I throw in the back for when I need to stop somewhere on the way to the trails so I started to look for small suvs. I was looking at Jeep Cherokees as an options, especially the little know Diesel on that was made for a few years, but reliability was a concern with those for me. So I looked at the honda element as an option because of Honda's reliability but the mileage wasn't great and the exterior styling wasn't the most appealing, that was a top contender for me. On a search for reliable cars that still met the criteria of offroad-able and could hold stuff I came across Subarus, and I thought to my self, oh yeah Subarus, why didn't I look at them sooner? I hadn't know that they were up there with honda and toyota with reliability but had the offroad-ability and cargo capacity I was looking for.
Then I saw the Crosstrek on Subaru's website and wondered what it was all about, I noticed the gas mileage numbers and that it had a decent amount of ground clearance. I was pretty much sold from that point on, I had done a lot of searching and research and this car had everything I wanted at a reasonable price. I went into my local subaru dealership test drove some outbacks and imprezas since the didn't have a Crosstrek in stock, I ended up ordering one after I talked them down to invoice plus 500. After about a 6 week wait, I finally picked it up yesterday. I have already put 150 miles on it driving on the snowy/icy back roads of eastern Washington and I couldn't be happier (at this price range at least ).

Poego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #2

Default Re: How I ended up with a Crosstrek

Not much input of snow use yet. Can you comment on its snow ability?
Tech707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Awesome man, thanks for joining. I will be hitting the snowy mountains of Big Bear Lake when I get back to California in January so I am interested in its snow ability as well.

What color/trim/options did you go with? Any pics you can share?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #4

I was gonna go with a premium and add the CVT and navigation system for the upgraded stereo and back up cam, but I didn't really need the nav system with google maps and it was gonna be about the same price for a limited so I just got a limited with no additions (they threw in the all weather mats for free), which had everything I wanted. I was conflicted on the color, cause it looks good in several of the color combos but I ended up picking orange (which I've noticed makes it really quick to find in a parking lot lol). Any other additions I may want down the road I can have Subaru install later and I can just pay cash for it. I intend to get the trailer hitch and roof racks at some point.

As for driving in the snow and ice, it really has been great. I've only driven in about 4" of snow so far, up a moderate grade and had no issues whatsoever, on the icy bits I notice the traction control light turn on occasionally and it just keeps pointed in the intended travel direction, this is all while going the speed limit or a bit over which the wife wasn't too happy about, but it really did make me think of the slogan "Confidence in Motion". Now I was able to get it to lose traction by driving stupidly taking corners to fast on icy parts (when the wife wasn't in the car) but I was playing it safe enough to be able to regain control before anything regrettable happened, I like to test the limits so I know what is safe and what isn't. The real test will be in a week or 2 when I drive up to the ski lodge whose roads were really putting my Isuzu to the test...
Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

I am in the same boat about the accessories. I just have all weather mats and rear seat-back protector and anything else I want I will just pay cash for.

Good to hear that it handles well in the snow/ice. Is that on stock tires?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #6

Are you on the factory all seasons?
Tech707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #7

My Vehicle: White Pearl XV Crosstrek Touring Model with 5 speed.

Yes, please tell us what tires you have on yours. Expecting snow where I live fairly soon. Also did you get the manual transmission or auto?
Got One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Wow, quite the unique vehicle you had! The Isuzu VehiCROSS was one of those quirky vehicles that looked very odd, was ahead of its time, and because of that, looks like something designed in the mid-2000s.

Glad you made the change though, the VehiCROSS was intended more as a conventional off-roader, hence, the bad MPG.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak
Wow, quite the unique vehicle you had! The Isuzu VehiCROSS was one of those quirky vehicles that looked very odd, was ahead of its time, and because of that, looks like something designed in the mid-2000s.

Glad you made the change though, the VehiCROSS was intended more as a conventional off-roader, hence, the bad MPG.
Interesting, I have seen them before, but didn't know what it was called. To save the others who, like me, have to look up a Vehicross, here it is:
Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #10

Yep, just the stock tires, I was thinking of getting them sipped if I have any issues and see if that makes a noticeable difference, but I'll have to do some more "testing".

Yeah I love my VX I still get compliments on it and get asked what year it was made all the time; I would love to keep it and make it a project car, but unfortunately I need to sell it to pay off the wife's car so we don't have 2 car payments for too long.