My first new car! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Ice Silver 5-speed Subaru XV Crosstrek
Default My first new car!

I've always driven a hand-me-down Toyota Camry, but when my husband felt it was "unsafe" he made me get a new car.

We're moving to Minnesota, so I was looking for a car that would handle well in the snow. Subaru ranked very well in this regard, but I always thought they were so damn ugly. Fortunately, the XV Crosstrek came out a few weeks before I started my search. It was love at first sight!

My husband and I both liked the body. (He loved the wheels.) I picked the color and he picked the transmission. We got a Premium 5-speed manual in Ice Silver Metallic. I had to learn and get used to driving a manual, but I've had the car for 3 months now and I really enjoy it. I get 31.2 mpg and I'm at 2750 miles. (And I assume that will improve as a get better at driving a manual.)

My husband does complain about the lack of power, but that's because he wants to drive like it's a rally car. For me, it has more than enough power to make the hour-long commute to school and run errands around town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crosstrek3.jpg (107.8 KB, 20 views)

Xellye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #2

Default Re: My first new car!

Welcome,

I have never been there. What made you and your husband want to move there?
Rmaligie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #3

My Vehicle: White Pearl XV Crosstrek Touring Model with 5 speed.

Nice to know another manual XV is on the road.
Got One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 crosstrek limited desert khaki 2011 legacy 2.5i premium ruby red pearl

Yeah when we first started looking my hubby wanted Subaru also & I was like noway they are ugly...low behold what did we end up going with! After looking in person & test driving my mind was made up! We also have a Toyota Tacoma that I said I would never own a Toyota but fell in love with it, still love it but it's not 4 wheel drive or front wheel drive so kinda sucks if we have a lot of snow. So after we get our new crosstrek paid off we will be getting rid of truck & probably get either the impreza or another crosstrek

Enjoy your crosstrek!!! Hopefully we will be enjoying ours soon...we had to order ours we wanted the desert khaki color & it's a hard color to find..our dealer said it should come in in 2-4 months! We just ordered Jan 2! ;D

Lovin' our Crosstrek 8)
tmorgan66030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Congrats on the new Crosstrek purchase and thank you for joining! I feel the more you drive the Crosstrek the more you learn to take advantage of what power it has and it really doesn't seem like it's lacking much.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #6

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek Venetian Red, 2012 Accord, 2013 Fiat 500

I have always driven stick all my life. I really wanted a manual for my XV, even test drove one, but got sold on the CVT's stated fuel economy. Not saying I'm unhappy with my choice, but I feel with my style of driving, I could have easily matched the fuel economy of the CVT with the manual. I sometimes feel that the CVT is lingering too long on a gear whereas with a manual, I would have already shifted. And it is at this point that you can see when the Avg. MPG goes down.

Anyway, one of these days I'll just turn off this MPG thing because it is severely affecting the way I drive, maybe for the better.
XVEwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 Ice Silver 5-speed Subaru XV Crosstrek

Thanks for the greetings!

I start a job in Minnesota after I graduate this spring. We'll be in the Twin Cities, so it should be a good time. As a native of California, I hope the weather doesn't get to me too much, but I hope having a good car will help with my daily commute in the snow.

I was interested in the Desert Khaki, but nervous about ordering that color after only seeing a swatch in the brochure. I got to see the other models in Ice Silver, so I felt a little better about it. I'd like to know what you think of the color when it comes, tmorgan66030.

XVEwing, I'm sure you could have quickly gotten close to the CVT mileage. I'm a total novice and I'm not far off. And so far, all power issues have been my fault for probably being in a gear that's too high. Speaking of mileage and power - I can almost guarantee that if they brought the diesel Crosstrek State-side my husband would get one too.
Xellye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XVEwing
Anyway, one of these days I'll just turn off this MPG thing because it is severely affecting the way I drive, maybe for the better.
Couldn't agree more. I have to leave mine off and try to avoid looking at the little needle moving back and forth because it is constantly making me over think my driving.