New Crosstrek owner... - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #1

Default New Crosstrek owner...

New owner and first time Subaru Buyer here... was a lurker for a little while, but hoping to get involved and use this resource. I'll take a little bit deeper, but throw it out right now. I'm picking up my new car today from the dealership. I certainly want a towing package, but I assume I can do better on the private market and at the dealership. Same thing for crossbars and a basket for the roof. Love to know what people recommend, and where to find it

Snow-ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

Hello Snow-ape, and welcome. Like you, I'm a new owner with my first Subi and just loving it. I also plan to add crossbars and towing by next summer. Having scrolled around a bit, the tow hitch that looks most promising for me is the Torklift Eco Hitch for Crosstrek. It's "designed to be completely hidden behind the knockout plate" and doesn't reduce your ground clearance either. The reviews all look pretty good too. Check it out:

Torklift Central | Torklift Central | 2013-2017 Subaru XV Crosstrek EcoHitch
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! I was able to hustle crossbars from the dealership, gratis, yesterday but thanks for the gouge on the hitch! I'll definitely check it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Welcome to the club!

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you check out the New to Subaru thread as well as the break-in procedures.

For cross bars, I would personally recommend Thule's offerings of cross bars as I've found their Thule AeroBlade Edge a very rigid platform that also has a rigid strap that acts as a secondary failsafe. Although not the most user-friendly to install, I've used the bars with complete confidence. But if you don't intend on carrying heavy loads on the roof, the Subaru optional aero bars will do fine.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:20 AM   #5

I've got the stock crossbars for now... they threw them in, and that'll do for now.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 05 big turbo STi - 18 ADF lifted Crosstrek

Welcome to the club, hope you enjoy the car!
stupidchicken03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 AM   #7

My Vehicle: 2017 Crosstrek, Black
Default First Time Subaru Owner, 2017 Crosstrek Premium

Been researching Subaru for 8 months now. Have been a Dodge owner for more than 30 years now. With my research the Subaru AWD always came out on top. Have many friends that owned them also. So I purchased a new 2017 Subaru Croasstrek Premium CVT. The package that car had already was rather full, but I still added the OEM Hitch and Remote Start. Have only 400 miles on it now, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Got to test it in some snow this week and was amazed. I fell like this car is on rails. Awesome handling and control. I plan on taking this car to 200,000 + miles. I just changed from a 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 5MT. The car had 238,000 miles on it. I surprised my Mother in Law and gave it to her for Christmas. She was in tears that her son in law was giving her a car. The car was still in Great mechanical condition and looked great.
gofastdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:54 AM   #8
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastdk View Post
Been researching Subaru for 8 months now. Have been a Dodge owner for more than 30 years now. With my research the Subaru AWD always came out on top. Have many friends that owned them also. So I purchased a new 2017 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT. The package that car had already was rather full, but I still added the OEM Hitch and Remote Start. Have only 400 miles on it now, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Got to test it in some snow this week and was amazed. I fell like this car is on rails. Awesome handling and control. I plan on taking this car to 200,000 + miles. I just changed from a 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 5MT. The car had 238,000 miles on it. I surprised my Mother in Law and gave it to her for Christmas. She was in tears that her son in law was giving her a car. The car was still in Great mechanical condition and looked great.
Welcome to the club!

How does the Lineartronic CVT feel compared to conventional automatics and other CVT's you've driven? Do you miss having a manual transmission?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2017 Crosstrek, Black

Thank you! I researched the CVT a lot before buying. Driven many things with many CVT style drives. I miss the Manual Trans. But also very pleased with the CVT. I read how many manufacturers had problems with their CVT's, but not Subaru. Wanted to buy a new Manual Trans, but other items outweighed the manual. So I purchased the CVT. The CVT still has a good passing performance, Climbs hills well with power. Was not looking for a sports car. Wanted a very good every day driver. And I have found it.
gofastdk is offline   Reply With Quote