New Desert Khaki for the OLD MAN - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #11

My Vehicle: Desert Khaki 5spd
Default Re: New Desert Khaki for the OLD MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder720
I hate it when people bash the power. Subaru makes the WRX and sti, for those seeking power but it seems that people will find any reason to complain. I had a WRX and yes I miss the power but I also rarely used it. The XV offers plenty of power to do what I need to do.
It is what it is, as I like to say. They gave it all-wheel drive and great fuel economy instead.

The GLK was 268hp with a 7spd auto, the later ones are 305hp. The car is always in the right gear and gets up and screams if you floor it. But I never drove it that way, always trying to coax some fuel economy out of it. So for 90% of my driving the XV has plenty. If you need more you rev the piss out of it.

Some have complained about the shifter too. And while it's certainly not a race shifter, it's easy and efficient. I haven't found any really bad quirks with it. The motor is so torquey just a half-hearted stab of the throttle and let the clutch out and it's going. Slow corners and rolling stops are easy with 2nd. Again, great torque and drivability. It's remarkably smooth, even compared to the fancy Benz.

I had considered a new diesel GLK250 cdi but they are all-wheel drive only and will start in the mid-40's and go up from there. Ouch again. My gas one was rear wheel drive and handling was excellent. Ride quality wasn't a whole lot better, what with 19" 50 series tires. Speaking of which, the stock tires lasted 25K and cost a grand to replace. Ouch again.

Desert Khaki 5pd Crosstrek - Subaru #3
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #12

My Vehicle: XV Tangerine, 2013

Came from a 330 hp. Grand Cherokee hemi. Was concerned about going to 148 hp.
But find the cvt works great and the car has adequate power for what I need so far.
Plus the quality of the plastic is better than the Jeep, not to mention the mpg!
orpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #13

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrekr
Welcome to the forum! Seems like everyone here (including me) is VERY HAPPY with the XV. Hope you enjoy it as much as we all do!

I can't believe your area has that many!!! They can't even hit the lot without being sold here for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing. The dealers I've seen in SoCal seem to have a ton of Crosstreks usually, but when I purchased mine in North Carolina I bought the only one on the lot/second one in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpip
Came from a 330 hp. Grand Cherokee hemi. Was concerned about going to 148 hp.
But find the cvt works great and the car has adequate power for what I need so far.
Plus the quality of the plastic is better than the Jeep, not to mention the mpg!
Just drove LA-Vegas-LA this weekend and was still impressed with how the 148hp preformed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #14

My Vehicle: Desert Khaki 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCrosstrek
Just drove LA-Vegas-LA this weekend and was still impressed with how the 148hp preformed.
Cool!
The only issue I see is 3200-3500rpms for freeway cruising, at least for the 75-85mph I like to run. Oh well, it still gets decent mileage and it's reasonably quiet, so I guess it's okay. You sure don't have to shift down for any grades. LOL

Leaving out a sixth gear was a dumb move on Subaru's part IMHO. The cheaped out on us with the stick. Otherwise it's a good evenly spaced gearbox.

Desert Khaki 5pd Crosstrek - Subaru #3
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote