New Hyper Blue Crosstrek - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 AM   #1

Default New Hyper Blue Crosstrek

Hey all, I just bought a 2017 Hyper Blue Crosstrek two days ago. This is my first Subaru ever, I've only ever owned BMWs. So far there's just a few things that have been a noticeable difference, mostly the fact that there's no engine temperature gauge, is that strange to anyone other than me?

Looking forward to doing some upgrades/mods, beginning with a simple debadging, ordered some vinyl emblem overlays already as well. Lighting, wheels, new grill are in the near future. I'm sure I'll be pestering you all for ideas, tips and tricks, so apologies and thanks in advance! Photo attached is the best I could get as it's been storming here for almost a week. Much more to follow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2653.jpg (152.9 KB, 10 views)

codizseapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

Hyper blue is the best color, very good choice!
Jean-Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Welcome to the club!

If you haven't already and since you're new to the brand, I highly recommend you check out the New to Subaru thread as well as the break-in procedures.

Unfortunately, almost all of Subaru's compact models no longer have an engine water/coolant temperature gauge anymore. We have to make do with the red/blue idiot light. I solved my problem with a dedicated OBD-II reader called the UltraGauge.

There are also bluetooth OBD-II readers that can bring the information straight to your smartphone utilizing smartphone apps like TorquePro, UltraGauge Blue, etc. However, this also necessitates a good smartphone mount, which it seems most people won't bother to do anyways, so I generally recommend a dedicated OBD-II reader like the UltraGauge.

TorquePro
https://lh5.ggpht.com/82wikNpCVUKD1M...RmtP8w=h900-rw

UltraGauge Blue
https://www.ultra-gauge.com/blue/ima...ue_Screen4.png

Also, what kind of mods are you interested in doing? Off-road? Improved on-road handling? Additional protection?
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 01:02 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight

My wifey has the 2016 Sport Hyper Blue. Wasn't too sure on the color at first but it grew on me pretty fast. It looks good beside my 2015 Desert Khaki Limited. I like the UltraGauge that AWDfreak shows above. I've used ScanGauge II since about 2007. Not as pretty as the UltraGauge but functional. One of the default gauge's for the Crosstrex is coolant temperature among others. I just can't get used to not having a temperature gauge.

https://www.scangauge.com/
Old 01-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #5

Jean-Luc, yeah yours looks pretty nice, especially with those wheels!

Thanks AWDf that new to Subaru thread looks great just from a glance. Ultra gauge blue looks like something I could get into, it's relatively inexpensive too. The display looks a lot better on the phone app than the wired monitor. For mods I'd like to dabble in the off-road aspect, beginning with tires, lights, eventually suspension. I just purchased a house so I'm going to have to pace myself with everything. Though I will be heading to Utah in April and should be able to do a little out there. For me this is all pretty new, it's not something I've done since childhood so I know pretty little, just figuring it out as I go. Is there anything particular i should look into for the added protection you mentioned?

Cogen- it was a really tough choice for me between those two colors, but like you, the color is growing on me.
codizseapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I would start with skid plates before you do anything else. There are companies such as Primitive Racing, Gorilla Offroad, etc. that make skid plates for the Subaru XV Crosstrek. Heck, even the Cusco floor brace proves that even chassis bracing can also function as protective mods too, as you can tell from the scrapes it has taken (Cusco floor center brace P/N 692 492 C) http://i.imgur.com/V2YkQ6P.jpg

For more added protection, these are Subaru optional accessories I would recommend:
  • Front hood guard (prevents chips on leading edge of hood)
  • Rear bumper protector (prevents scratches from directly affecting rear bumper
  • Rear seatback protectors (prevents direct damage to rear seatbacks)

And since you are considering the smartphone method of an OBD-II reader, I highly recommend you consider mounts like the Ram Mounts X-Grip [RAM-HOL-UN7BU] and their no-drill 30" aluminum rod [RAM-B-316-1-30-238U] as this setup offers these advantages:
  • Does not require use of adhesive or drilling of the vehicle's interior
  • Allows complete customization for placement within the limits of the 30" aluminum rod
  • With appropriate placement, will not interfere with:
  1. Safe ability to operate vehicle due to being too difficult to reach and read
  2. Airbag deployment areas
  3. HVAC vent effectiveness
  4. Obstruction of peripheral vision
  5. Existing local, county, state, and other laws
  6. Appropriate space to safely operate existing controls
  7. Visibility of existing instrumentation

Although this picture does not show the Ram Mounts X-Grip, it does showcase how I am able to fulfill the above placement requirements with the 30" aluminum rod: http://i.imgur.com/xgJ52Z8.jpg