New member here glad to see so many fans of the XV - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited Ice silver Metallic
Default New member here glad to see so many fans of the XV

Hello,
I am from Des Moines, IA but i am currently stationed at Fort Riley, KS waiting for my orders to get out of service. I have driven Subarus since 2010 when i bought a 2008 Impreza 2.5i. I loved that car and started do alot of research about them. I wanted to get a BRZ but with it being RWD I didnt feel comfortable haveing that as my everyday car so I traded in my Impreza for a XV and i love it but just a little disappointed by a misguiding MPG rating and lack of performance in the engine which is underpowered in this car. But i love it no matter what.

suuichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #2

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl
Default Re: New member here glad to see so many fans of the XV

Welcome and congrats! If you are heavy footed and live in a hilly region ( like me ) I only get 25-26 mpg on average. Eventually you will have the aftermarket supplying XV owner the opportunity to upgrade for performance, but I wouldn't expect a HUGE improvement... unless you went with a turbo setup for around $5000.... voiding any warranty you have.

Did you get the manual or CVT? I went from a manual to the CVT in the XV and there is a lot of difference for sure, but with time I have learned to adapt to the characteristics of it and enjoy it a lot. If you have a manual.... you can always keep the the shift points higher and keep it well within the powerband to gain a bit more 'spunk' out of it, if that's what you miss.

again... WELCOME!

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

Welcome to the forum Suuichi! I have found my XVs mpg and my mathematically calculated mpg to be about 2 mpg apart (with the calculated being lower). I'm still however, getting great mileage and love the car! Coming from a series of much older used cars I don't have any problem with the power, but your experience may differ.

Anyhow, welcome to the boards!
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

Welcome
Twist2Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #5

Oh sorry i didnt put down the trim lol I have the limited CVT. I know there is alot that effects the MPG including temperature elevation winter blend fuel and of course driving style but at the same time i only recently started getting above 24 mpg plus i get better city miles than highway which is weird i can get like 30 to 32 in the city and only 25 to 28 on the highway.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by suuichi
Oh sorry i didnt put down the trim lol I have the limited CVT. I know there is alot that effects the MPG including temperature elevation winter blend fuel and of course driving style but at the same time i only recently started getting above 24 mpg plus i get better city miles than highway which is weird i can get like 30 to 32 in the city and only 25 to 28 on the highway.
When you say "highway" are you talking about speed limits of 55-60 or 70+? The "highway" mpg is typically considered speeds of 55-ish.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #7

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl
Default New member here glad to see so many fans of the XV

Highway speed varies greatly from location. I drive 75-80 on all our freeways.

Sent from my iPad II using Tapatalk

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suuichi
Hello,
I am from Des Moines, IA but i am currently stationed at Fort Riley, KS waiting for my orders to get out of service. I have driven Subarus since 2010 when i bought a 2008 Impreza 2.5i. I loved that car and started do alot of research about them. I wanted to get a BRZ but with it being RWD I didnt feel comfortable haveing that as my everyday car so I traded in my Impreza for a XV and i love it but just a little disappointed by a misguiding MPG rating and lack of performance in the engine which is underpowered in this car. But i love it no matter what.
Hello and welcome to the site! Also, thank you for your service....lots of us on here. I have to ask what you mean by "misguiding mpg rating?" In my experience, the rating has been too low. I have a manual transmission that gets 33 mpg at 65 mph. I also average 28 in town, minimally. Believe it or not I've yet not to average 30 /gal for each and every full tank of gas. I've got 9956 miles on my XV and it did get better as the mileage accumulated- hope yours does the same.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

I wasn't very clear. My bad.

The EPA estimates of Highway MPG (the 33mpg on the CVT, 30 mpg on the 5mt) come from speeds of around 55. Speeds of 65+ will typically take the actual MPG down to lower numbers, but people still think of roads that run those speeds as "highway," which can lead to the perception that the EPA estimate was high and the actual mpg is lower than the estimate.

My last post was meant to ask the OP if his usage of "highway" was referring to highways of the 55-ish mph sort or the 65+ mph sort.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #10

Well that sucks lol i drive 65 mph on the highway and im not to say disappointed cause it still goods decent gas millage but i wish theyd release a more realistic number for realistic driving. But I love my vehicle i just cant wait for the new WRX STI concept to come out i want that and a better BRZ. Plus im just tired of the US not getting all the good subarus like everyone else is.