Newbie looking for more horsepower. - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2012 Honda Fit
Default Newbie looking for more horsepower.

Hoping to buy a new Crosstrek to share with my wife, and 4 1/2 year old son. It seems like a perfect fit for us, but I am a little concerned about it being under powered. Are there any rumours about a HP increase, or turbo? I see some members have had multiple Subarus, have there been any reliability concerns? We have a new dealership here on Prince Edward Island, and the Crosstrek would be a capable vehicle with our Maritime weather, heavy snowfall/rain/windy conditions. Does anyone know when the 2014's will arrive for sale?, and will there be any changes/upgrades?. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Hawkeyfan1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Tangerine
Default Re: Newbie looking for more horsepower.

Welcome!

Anyhow, I'll admit to being slightly biased, but I think a Crosstrek would be an excellent choice for a place like PEI. Personally, I don't find the vehicle to be at all underpowered, though it's definitely not a racecar ... but once you get used to the transmission you'll find that it gets up to speed as readily as most cars in its price range. And it really seems to excel under difficult road/weather conditions.

There are a lot of Subarus out where I live, and overall they seem to have an excellent reputation for reliability ... and they usually have a higher-than average resale value, which I think speaks to that reputation.

So far, the only 2014 Crosstrek that's been formally announced is the hybrid model, which really only provides marginal fuel economy gains for most driving conditions -- I really think only big-city dwellers could make an economic case for owning one. I would guess that the remaining 2014 Crosstrek versions will be nearly identical to the 2013 models, since the car was a new model for 2013. I've heard no rumors about a different engine for 2014, and that seems unlikely since the hybrid is using the 2013 gas engine.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

My Vehicle: Silver XV Crosstrek

Yes, the stories re; low power gave me pause as well. But my experience has not seen that issue or problem. I wonder about the bias that "reviewers" bring to the market.
If you're looking for neck snapping acceleration you might look at a bigger vehicle, even the Forester. I've no problem getting into and thru city traffic, merging onto US interstates, or just getting out of someone else's way.!
What kind of driving do you want to do ? What are your expectations?
Security, comfort, traction and economy? You bet! My buggy surprises many and myself as well. I love it and I'm toting 3 grandkids !
U_ba_ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

There will definitely be a hybrid but nothing else is rumored in the US.
Twist2Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Welcome to the site, Hawkeye.

Of course you will probably find some biased opinions here, but I think the Crosstrek is quite a fine fit for what you describe. I have had some much quicker cars (Infiniti G35 and Subaru WRX) in my past, and the XV definitely doesn't have the get up and go as they did, but it isn't a slug. As Montanan said, once you learn how/where the transmission delivers power then the Crosstrek really is fun to drive. As far as an HP increase or turbo, nothing has been rumored yet, but I really hope that one comes out.

The best bet is to take a good, solid test drive and really feel out everything. Take your time and try to answer all the questions that are lingering in your mind. I, too, was concerned about the power as I bought one when they first hit the shelves in North Carolina (so not many hands-on reviews yet) but once I test drove it all of my hesitations were relieved.

Thanks for joining the site and good luck!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 Desert Khaki XV, Premium w/Nav

I had the same concern, but have not experienced any disappointment with power. I have just done my typical day-to-day driving, so perhaps I haven't really asked much of it - but compared to my previous Impreza 2007 OBS, which had 30 more hp, no difference. The CVT is pretty awesome. Plus while I haven't noticed any power difference from my OBS, I am getting 34 average mph v 29 mph - so that's pretty nice.

BTW, took an incredible vacation to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI back in 2011. PEI was a bit of an odd/great experience. I had always envisioned it as a rocky island based around fishing (think northern Maine coast). When I arrived it was all rolling fields of farmland. It reminded me of where I grew up in the Midwest. It stuck with me long after I left.
Wilco1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek

The car is slow and I too hope that Subaru will either add a few hundred cc's to the engine or a small turbo. There is a total absence of torque. Once up to highway speeds it's ok.
enzobindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited, Desert Khaki

Everything's a trade off. The 2.5 engine or a turbo would certainly deliver more power, but you'd give up some fuel economy. If you want the best AWD system on the market AND 30mpg all day long, you'll just have to get by without neck-snapping acceleration.

OTOH, I've found the XV to have plenty of power for everyday driving. The CVT seems to be a great match for the 2.0 boxer, and I find the paddle shifters add a little snap.

This is our third Subaru, and we've found them to be very reliable. Our first is a 2003 Forester that our daughter and son-in-law are still driving with 140k miles. We replaced the timing chain and head gasket at 115k (pre-emptively) and the ac compressor about the same time. No other issues. FYI: that car has a 2.5, delivers 185hp and 20mpg. Quite a change.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited CVT , 2008 Honda Ridgline

You are on a Crosstrek forum so we are little bias ;D. To address your concerns power should be more than adequate for what you describe. If owners complain about lack of torque or hp I feel either they didn't test drive a Crosstrek long enough or have unrealistic expectations. The Crosstrek was designed to have have the best fuel economy in its class. The 2.0 liter engine was downsized from 2.5 liters in the previous generation Impreza line to address better gas milage. It was never advertised as a WRX replacement. I have have no problem staying up with traffic or merging. As far as reliability even though the Crosstrek is new to North America it has been a model in Europe for several years so it has some history. And Subaru's are known for better resale value then most other brands. Before I bought, I looked at the competition, Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Rav 4, etc. For the options and fuel economy and design I found the Crosstrek had the best value. Others may have had more hp but less milage. Others optioned the same as my Limited were $1000s more. Others start with only FWD and 4 WD is an extra option. Some 4WD systems are actually FWD biased and kick in the rear wheels when needed. Subaru has a true AWD system. If you are already thinking of turbos the Crosstrek may not be the best choice for you. It is a personal decision. I suggest you test drive the Subaru Crosstrek and other brands and see for yourself. Good luck and have fun!
GT-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Tom
You are on a Crosstrek forum so we are little bias ;D. To address your concerns power should be more than adequate for what you describe. If owners complain about lack of torque or hp I feel either they didn't test drive a Crosstrek long enough or have unrealistic expectations. The Crosstrek was designed to have have the best fuel economy in its class. The 2.0 liter engine was downsized from 2.5 liters in the previous generation Impreza line to address better gas milage. It was never advertised as a WRX replacement. I have have no problem staying up with traffic or merging.
Completely agree with GT Tom here. The XV was never built to be a street-speeder. Like most here, I have no problems keeping up in traffic, merging on the highway and even zipping around in the passing lane if needed. The XV is an SUV... technically a CUV. Go compare its gas mileage to other SUV/CUVs and see what they come up with. At my current 34 miles/gallon, I have no problems with the trade-off of "more power" for "more gas". I'm long past the "4 blocks to the gallon" type of car. :-)