Potential Newby from Buffalo - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-12-2015, 02:39 AM   #1

Question Potential Newby from Buffalo

Hello all, So i am VERY close to buying a 2015 Crosstrek. Ive heard some bad things about new subarus lately, but also some great things about the Crosstrek. I am very conflicted and this would be my FIRST Subaru AND first new car purchase in general. (always had a Ford Taurus 2004). I also know the 2016s are coming soon. Any thoughts on waiting? How are your crosstreks holding up?

Also has anyone gotten rearended? The fact that it has no butt scares me and looks like it might crumple.

Thanks for the help!!

kh444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 02:57 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I would wait and see how the improvements compare to your priority list of features. The 2016 model year info was JUST released today, so it would benefit you to take a trip to the dealer and compare in person.

My XV is holding up fine so far, though I doubt my use of my XV Crosstrek is what I would consider typical of the XV Crosstrek owner.

Front and rear ends are supposed to crumple, hence the term "crumple zone". Like most vehicles these days, the front and rear bumpers are simply plastic to minimize damage/injury and repair costs.
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2015 Desert Khaki CrossTrek Limited

Welcome to the Forum. Just curious as to the "bad things" you've been hearing about Subaru. This is my first Subaru and I've only had it since March but the first 7,000 miles have been great, completely trouble free with 0 defects on delivery. Coming from 40 + years of driving mostly Toyotas and Fords I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't be overly concerned about Subaru quality. If the XV fills your needs, go for it and enjoy.
Pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2015, 03:54 AM   #4

Thanks, everyone! I made the (poor) choice to read reviews about Subaru in general and a lot of things about oil burning issues came up, and how Subaru is not holding true to the warranties and such and a lot of bad reviews of new Subaru cars that came from long-time Subaru owners. I usually don't read reviews, and probably shouldn't have, but it definitely made me rethink things before I go ahead and buy one. I'm glad to hear you haven't had issues so far. I guess just looking for some reassurance and actually on these forums, it seems like everyone is pretty pleased with their XVs so far.
kh444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #5

Keep in mind that owners who have any type of issue with their cars will be the most vocal about it. If you read the Consumer Reports article on the issue of excessive oil use, you'll find Subaru fixed the issue of oil burning in their recent model years. The enclosed link also shows that Subaru has addressed the oil burning issue with a fix.

Some 2011-2014 Subarus To Get New Piston Rings

I bought my XV in February 2014 and now have over 17K miles with no oil burning issues. Took it on a 4000 road-trip in May 2015 and it didn't use a drop of oil nor did I experience any other issues.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru Crosstrek, Orange

Yup. To continue off of Hacksaw's post. I purchased my XV in October 2014. Have 18+k on it already due to trips to FL & MA as well as being highway driver in the DC area. No oil issues here.
Safety Sieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2015 Silver XV Crosstrek Limited

I did a fair amount of online research before choosing the Crosstrek and most of the info was positive on the 2015s. I just got mine on 8/28 and have only put about 40 miles on it but love the car and all the features of the Limited model.
I don't know where in the Buffalo area your in but you might check West Herr Subaru in Orchard Park they had over a dozen Crosstreks when I was up there in August for my mothers 96th birthday.
I didn't want to wait for the 2016s and because I lease it didn't really matter to me.
yankee2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee2500 View Post
I did a fair amount of online research before choosing the Crosstrek and most of the info was positive on the 2015s. I just got mine on 8/28 and have only put about 40 miles on it but love the car and all the features of the Limited model.
I don't know where in the Buffalo area your in but you might check West Herr Subaru in Orchard Park they had over a dozen Crosstreks when I was up there in August for my mothers 96th birthday.
I didn't want to wait for the 2016s and because I lease it didn't really matter to me.
Only 40 miles since August 28? The Crosstrek was meant to be driven!
Old 10-04-2015, 01:28 AM   #9

My Vehicle: 2015 Silver XV Crosstrek Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Only 40 miles since August 28? The Crosstrek was meant to be driven!
I just reread my post and realized I hit the 8 instead of the 9, it should read I got it on 9/28.

And it's been raining every day since I got it and sometimes just a steady downpour, I hate going out when it's like that unless I have to and being retired I can be picky about what I have to do.
yankee2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #10

Default ???

So..... did you pull the trigger on the new Crosstrek? Recently bought one, myself. Wondering if you did, and how you like it, if you did. Maybe you want to run it thru some paces, with backup?
Soobydoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, ford, new subaru owner