SC Subie Newbie <3 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV Limited
Send a message via Yahoo to kmcollins84
Default SC Subie Newbie <3

Hi guys and gals &lt;3

My name is Kelly, I live in SC, I am a Subie Newbie! May 30th I purchased my very first new car, and it just happened to be a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek I am obviously very excited to finally, at the ripe old age of 28, say I own my first new vehicle (had 3 previous hand me downs that are still with other family members).

My fiance and his entire family have always had Subarus... so it was bound to happen eventually (it's been 7 years of them trying to get me to get a Subaru lol!) plus I have several friends who are all about their Subarus!

It took me a long while to finally decide what kind of vehicle I would be purchasing, I have done months and months of research about smaller SUV's and read/watched countless reviews on just about everything there is available... I had it narrowed down to the Subaru Crosstrek and the Nissan Juke (don't judge lol) and after test driving both of them I made up my mind immediately that it would be the Crosstrek that I would be bringing home eventually. I was initially going to wait until later this year to purchase my new vehicle, however my previous car decided to break down on me, therefore forcing my hand... so here I am!

I have 3 dogs, 2 German Shepherds and 1 Beagle/Border Collie mix... so I of course had to get the cargo mat and rear seat back protectors for my beloved pooches to have a space all their own. My dogs were my biggest deciding factor in all of this... I wanted them to have a safe area and enough room for road trips! I have accomplished my task beautifully!

On 6/4 I finally got my tweeters and upgraded speakers installed... it has helped the sound some, but coming from a previous Mercury Sable I was pretty disappointed by the quality/volume level of the radio (CD/Aux is fine though, thankfully) but according to my Subaru friends, this is a problem with the way the antenna is in the Subarus tinted windows... This is the only big thing that bothers me, the other being non-power adjustable drivers seat... these are things I shall learn to live with!

Overall I'm extremely happy with the vehicle, I just had my friend do his paint job magic on it and he polished and sealed it so it'll be beautiful for years to come... and she lives in a garage, so thankfully that limits most weathering! I did decide against the moonroof/nav due to unfavorable reviews of them leaking/having issues fairly regularly.

Hopefully with the steps I've taken this far, and the upgrades I've made... I will be able to enjoy this vehicle for the next 10 years (that's the plan anyhow!)

So there's my story in a nutshell... comments? concerns? emotional outbursts? advice? Ready, Set, Go!

&lt;3
Kelly

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl
Default Re: SC Subie Newbie <3

Welcome Kelly and congratulations on your new baby! Sounds like she is just the right car for you and the pooches! And that's pretty cool you've already done some mods to her! I think adding mods to the car is just like a real lady... Give her a new bauble now and then and she's happy as can be! Lol

Hehehe. Glad I'm not the only one who pops Subie for no power seats. It bugged me at first too. But, to be honest, how often does the seat get moved anyway. I figure that once Subie sees how well the XV is doing, maybe they'll put it in future versions. For now, it's a very minor inconvenience that rarely gets thought about. :-)

Regarding the sound system upgrade you did: while its true even the upgrade isn't a top of the line unit, it is better than the stock. But... We have a thread here about digging into the system's hidden setting and changing the "through mode" and such. While it won't have the system sounding like Harmon Kardins, it does help to bring out a much richer sound. So check out that thread (it has a great video with it) and ill bet you'll be much happier.

Please post some pics of your new baby when you get a chance!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.

Well hello there! I was wondering if we'd ever have another South Carolinian besides myself and the Hulls! That was a very fine and thorough intro....I am glad that the XV passed your litmus test. Quite honestly, I believe more car buyers would be happier with their purchase if they put the same sort of effort into their pursuit.

CCt has a wealth of resources, and I might add, expectations! Mainly, I'm referring to pics! We all love them- soooooo we want to see pics of the car and pups when you get a chance! As avimia posted-there are threads for just about every ? You might have.

Again, welcome and congratulations. Enjoy 8)
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #4

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

Welcome to CCT, Kelly! Congrats on the purchase and thorough research! Very detailed intro of you and your family... thanks! Make sure you post up pics of the pooches on the DOG LOVERS thread..... we seem to have a lot of them!

Welcome aboard and hope you find all you need with the friendly folks here on CCT!!!!

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 Premium Dark Grey

You sound as OCD as I am, took forever to decide on a car, and I was all over the place from -- Mazda 6, Ford Mustang, Nissan Altima, Ford Escape, and Subarus Crosstrek, Outback, and Legacy, just to name a few, couldn't even decide which style of car. But ever since driving a Forester off road on Kauai last year have had Subaru's symmetrical AWD on my mind. It will outperform the Juke's AWD system (really, a Juke? :-) ).

We have dogs too, but they are not allowed in the vehicle until my wetokole.com seats arrive, just ordered them last week (until then dogs go only in the wife's car -- formerly my car, a 2006 Mazda 6). The other modification I just did was tinting the front windows with Global QDP 20 to match the rear windows.

Have been wondering about protecting the paint. My Mazda6 still looks pretty good after 7 years and 92k miles, (not garaged), and my cleaning and paint care regimen has consisted of . . . rain. Hoping the Crosstrek paint holds up as well under neglect.

Any way, welcome!
VariousPositions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #6

My Vehicle: Sigourney our XV, and Pearl our XT

We are glad to see and welcome you to the SC XV Community and ClubCrosstrek alike. As RubySu has mentioned, we are finally growing our numbers south of the Mason Dixon line.

Enjoy your XV Kelly, Fiance, and the four-legged kids.

The Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited

Welcome aboard. I too researched the juke. But it is too small and too $$. The crosstrek is perfect. Great size, great mileage and looks cool as heck. Post some Picts of your cool new XV.
Master Shooter
All round nice guy
Ikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Welcome to the site, Kelly! Congrats on the new Crosstrek, it sounds like it is definitely the right vehicle for you with the three dogs. I have one big mutt myself and it's so easy to tote him around with the rear seats down.

As for the audio, yes the radio does lack quite a bit. For me, I don't listen to the radio that much (I always use BlueTooth from my phone or CDs) so I don't really think about it too much.

Thanks for joining!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #9

Ohhh my goodness! So sorry I've been away, I had to have surgery unexpectedly and that was no fun... anyhow, I am back now! Pictures, yes that I can do! Give me a few minutes here to remember how to post pictures on forums! &lt;3

And then I have updates too!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #10

Alrighty, uploaded some pics... here we go!

This was yesterday! Over 1k in just 3 weeks!

The day after I brought her home... I'm still debating what to name her...

Here she is next to Michael's '02 Legacy

Here she is after being polished and sealed...

So, here's the update... my aux/usb port stopped working after like 2 days... which was no good because my HTC DNA doesn't play well with the Subaru bluetooth system... so I took her in to get them replaced, go to pick her up, and they said it is actually the head unit that needs to be replaced... and apparently that's a super rare thing... so Wednesday I get to take her back to get the whole thing replaced... thank goodness for good warranties! Aside from the audio issue, I'm noticing improved gas mileage the more I drive her... I'm assuming this is probably just common with new cars?