The first step .... - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2008 Forester XS 4EAT
Default The first step ....

The first step is admitting ..... I'm a Subaholic.

I'm still seriously considering an XV, but waiting for the second year to sort out any of the initial problems the XV's have had and most importantly hoping that Subaru Canada offers the Marine Blue Pearl that they didn't offer this year (no blue option at all). I could settle for another silver, but we'll wait and see.

Also I've been considering the new Forester, having owned two and being a Moderator on SubaruForester.org they are near and dear to my heart, but I'm having the slight remorse of it's growth since the SG series Foresters. The XV is like the story of the three bears and porridge, one is just right.

I'd like to say anything I may post or do is meant for the love of the Subaru community and this includes this forum.

Cheers
Doug

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.
Default Re: The first step ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by good
The first step is admitting ..... I'm a Subaholic.

I'm still seriously considering an XV, but waiting for the second year to sort out any of the initial problems the XV's have had and most importantly hoping that Subaru Canada offers the Marine Blue Pearl that they didn't offer this year (no blue option at all). I could settle for another silver, but we'll wait and see.

Also I've been considering the new Forester, having owned two and being a Moderator on SubaruForester.org they are near and dear to my heart, but I'm having the slight remorse of it's growth since the SG series Foresters. The XV is like the story of the three bears and porridge, one is just right.

I'd like to say anything I may post or do is meant for the love of the Subaru community and this includes this forum.

Cheers
Doug
Hey Doug, couldn't have said it better. My wife and I were just at grocery store and as we approached our XV, i noticed it was surrounded by bloated SUVs of every denomination. I was so happy to just jump in our nimble Subie and maneuver around the behemoths. It is the near perfect size for most people IMO. From empty nesters to young families with a child or two. The utility is just built in with AWD- go anywhere, do anything!
I wonder what goes through a manufacturers mind that says "uh, no blue for Canada"?! Or better yet...no diesel for North America! There are a boatload of us who would love that motor and the 6 speed to go along. Like the island of misfit toys in Rudolph we lament....maybe next year :'(
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

glad to see you around these parts. welcome aboard
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 Limited Tangerine

Welcome good dog. After a year of reading our forums I'm sure you will be very ready and knowledgeable on the 2014 crosstrek!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2008 Forester XS 4EAT

RubySu, I think our hopes for a diesel version will not see the light of day at least until a few years from now. With California Air Resources Board (CARB which now sets the standards for US emission specs, supposedly the toughest in the world) tightening specs on diesel emissions in general over the next few years, Subaru will need to go back to the drawing board and start fresh if they want to meet future requirements. Back in 09, Subaru Canada had a couple of diesel test mules running across Canada for evaluation. It was found that they barely made the emissions standards (Canada follows US-EPA/CARB standards in most cases). And as a result we never got the diesels here in Canada. Besides Subaru is taking an easier, safer approach with developing their own Hybrid technology.

As others have predicted and I concur, the next refresh of the XV should finally include Subaru's Direct Injection, currently featured on the 2014 Forester, which should be good for some power increases and even better fuel economy. And if some of the BRZ and Forester performance specs indicate the increase in power is mostly the result of direct injection, all the better for the XV.

If you have been a long-time Subaru owner, you'll know that refreshes usually come every 4-5 years and since the latest version of the Impreza which the XV share most of it's components with came out in 2012, we may see a refresh as early as 2016-17. The train of thought would be updates to the XV would be done at the same time to bring both models in line for the future. I could live with a current XV and have a close look at one again when updates are done to it.

Chasem, nice to see some familiar names and unfortunately a lot of Auto-Bots (yikes!)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by good
RubySu, I think our hopes for a diesel version will not see the light of day at least until a few years from now. With California Air Resources Board (CARB which now sets the standards for US emission specs, supposedly the toughest in the world) tightening specs on diesel emissions in general over the next few years, Subaru will need to go back to the drawing board and start fresh if they want to meet future requirements. Back in 09, Subaru Canada had a couple of diesel test mules running across Canada for evaluation. It was found that they barely made the emissions standards (Canada follows US-EPA/CARB standards in most cases). And as a result we never got the diesels here in Canada. Besides Subaru is taking an easier, safer approach with developing their own Hybrid technology.

As others have predicted and I concur, the next refresh of the XV should finally include Subaru's Direct Injection, currently featured on the 2014 Forester, which should be good for some power increases and even better fuel economy. And if some of the BRZ and Forester performance specs indicate the increase in power is mostly the result of direct injection, all the better for the XV.

If you have been a long-time Subaru owner, you'll know that refreshes usually come every 4-5 years and since the latest version of the Impreza which the XV share most of it's components with came out in 2012, we may see a refresh as early as 2016-17. The train of thought would be updates to the XV would be done at the same time to bring both models in line for the future. I could live with a current XV and have a close look at one again when updates are done to it.

Chasem, nice to see some familiar names and unfortunately a lot of Auto-Bots (yikes!)
Haven't I seen you before?
And as you know, you're not the only Subaru-holic here

Is this direct-injection going to be a carryover of the Toyota system? Is it going to finally be implemented in the FB?!?! zomfg

While the years go by, I hope for more and more aftermarket parts that XV owners can use to improve their vehicles...
Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

Welcome to CCT, Doug.... enjoy the great company and chatter all about the XV!

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.

I think you raise some very strong points Good Dog. I would add that Subaru may be more/less inclined to introduce diesel products with Mazda and Chrysler joining longstanding providers Mercedes, BMW, Audi and VW. While Subaru watches from the sidelines to see if consumer demand is high. If so then I raise the % of possibility that Subaru would indeed jump through the CARB hoop. Likewise, lack of support could keep those oilers from ever reaching our shores.