Wilmington NC - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #1

Default Wilmington NC

Hello all,

Checking in from Wilmington NC. I have had my 18' CVT Premium for about a month now and have been very happy thus far.

I have a rather.. extensive new member post on the other XV Forum so I thought I'd keep this brief. I'm on the Southern Coast of NC. Only mod at this time is a LoadWarrior with extension. I have already gotten my Crosstrek out on the beach and she does great even in the loose stuff down here. In a week and a half I am doing section of the Trans America Trail from Damascus to Tellico Plains. I will let you guys know how it goes!

danhall7979@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 03:08 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Welcome!

If you've got off-road adventure in mind, you should seriously get some skid plates and a full-size spare tire, as well as additional adventure gear to keep your safe.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #3

Thanks! Skid plates are actually the first big purchase I have planned for this thing. Not as fun or glamorous as some of the other mods but definitely a must for me. I have got a recovery kit on its way (jack, recovery ladders, compressor, shovel/axe, kinetic tow strap). Also have a pretty substantial emergency kit as I grew up in the Scouts and grew up parented by two Army medics.

I'm holding off on a full size spare until I upgrade tires. I am leaning toward the Geolander A/T but I really have absolutely NO experience buying A/T tires. I'm looking for something that will be okay for daily driving (though I commute only 1 mile) and long road trips to the trail head but also handle itself off-road (primarily loose beach sand with occasional mountain trail trip). Any suggestions?

I hate to ask so many questions in my new member post but I see that you have pretty serious experience with your Xtrk. How necessary to you feel a lift is? Because it scares me. Particularly a spacer lift so it looks like if I need a lift Primitive is my only option. What are you thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks! Skid plates are actually the first big purchase I have planned for this thing. Not as fun or glamorous as some of the other mods but definitely a must for me. I have got a recovery kit on its way (jack, recovery ladders, compressor, shovel/axe, kinetic tow strap). Also have a pretty substantial emergency kit as I grew up in the Scouts and grew up parented by two Army medics.

I'm holding off on a full size spare until I upgrade tires. I am leaning toward the Geolander A/T but I really have absolutely NO experience buying A/T tires. I'm looking for something that will be okay for daily driving (though I commute only 1 mile) and long road trips to the trail head but also handle itself off-road (primarily loose beach sand with occasional mountain trail trip). Any suggestions?

I hate to ask so many questions in my new member post but I see that you have pretty serious experience with your Xtrk. How necessary to you feel a lift is? Because it scares me. Particularly a spacer lift so it looks like if I need a lift Primitive is my only option. What are you thoughts on this?
Personally, I think the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 is a good pavement-biased all-terrain tire. I do believe it is available in the factory stock size. If you want to conveniently store the full-size spare in the factory spare tire floor pan, you will have to run the stock tire size if you wish for it to fit with the existing fastening nut.

A lift is necessary if you think you are the type to get VERY adventurous. But if you feel like the car has more capability than you as a driver, you may not quite need the suspension lift.

So far, most lifts for the 3rd generation are spacer lifts, but I do believe spring lifts are quickly being developed by the aftermarket.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Personally, I think the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 is a good pavement-biased all-terrain tire. I do believe it is available in the factory stock size. If you want to conveniently store the full-size spare in the factory spare tire floor pan, you will have to run the stock tire size if you wish for it to fit with the existing fastening nut.

A lift is necessary if you think you are the type to get VERY adventurous. But if you feel like the car has more capability than you as a driver, you may not quite need the suspension lift.

So far, most lifts for the 3rd generation are spacer lifts, but I do believe spring lifts are quickly being developed by the aftermarket.
Thanks! Then I think that might be right up my alley. I'm not looking for something to go out and carve up the country roads, just a decent ride on the road and trustworthy offroad. Now its just deciding on ordering another 17" xtrek wheel or switch to another set of wheels. I was maybe thinking about just going to a set of smaller steel wheels since they're cheap and occasionally repairable. I also understand that it should give me more options when it comes to tires.

While I expect to get very adventurous with my Xtrek I am also the kind of adventurer that will take to easiest line to make sure I get to the site in one piece. For me its much more about the exploration than it is romping in my car. My primary concern with lifting is reliability and the added wear and tear on the vehicle due to the change in geometry. I think I will need to do a couple trips and see what the vehicle tells me.

As of now, if the car ends up needing a lift I am leaning toward the Primitive lift. I like the idea putting stiffer springs in for those really loaded down trips.

Anyways thanks for the warm welcome,

Dan