Argentinian Mud - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #11

My Vehicle: MY13 Subaru XV 2.0iS CVT Ice Silver Metallic
Default Re: Argentinian Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCrosstrek

What does it take for a snorkel kit? Is it possible on the Crosstrek (I assume it's possible on any vehicle)?
It's not difficult, and I've done it before on a Jeep Grand Cherokee before any kits existed for them. We'll never see a decent brand like ARB make them for the XV - it's not within their scope. You can, however, choose a snorkel that's "close" in windscreen rake angle, A-pillar height, through-the-body intake position, body side angle and side of vehicle. If it's made from a plastic such as the ARB's are, you can then apply a little well-distributed heat and bend the snorkel a little to make it optimum.

Once you have one the right shape, or as close to as you're going to get, you then need to worry about the through-the-body connector pipe and what it's going to chew through to install. Then, it has to connect upstream of the filter box somehow and make a tight seal. It's all quite a challenge in there isn't a specific kit made.

There are quite a few "car-like" 4WD's out there nowadays - as far as windscreen angles go. Gone are the days, really, of upright screens on the older style machines.

Omaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #12

Interesting would love to know just what was being said
Ick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #13

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Tangerine

I took a minute and dug up the original web page where this video was posted. It's at:

http://www.16valvulas.com.ar/probamo...-ruta-y-barro/

There's a pretty detailed review there. It's all in Spanish, but if you run it through Google Translate you can get a good idea of what's being said. All in all, it's quite positive.

Sample paragraph, translated:

"Like every Subaru, we are witnessing a versatile model capable of providing outstanding dynamic behavior in route but also the arguments sufficient to address adverse off-road terrain without suffering shocks. The New XV starred design changes that manage to combine harmoniously compact style, adventurous, strong and athletic."
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #14

I think more important than a snorkel, is a set of elevated diff breathers. You put those axles underwater, 'specially after some hard running, and you're going to suck water into the differentials when they drastically cool off.
Soobydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:19 AM   #15
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

The front differential vent, as far as I'm aware, is located as high as the engine air intake.

As for the rear differential, it has a vent that requires a bit of custom work to make a vent that goes well above some deep water. I've heard of someone routing a tube from the rear differential vent all the way up to one of the taillights.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
The front differential vent, as far as I'm aware, is located as high as the engine air intake.

As for the rear differential, it has a vent that requires a bit of custom work to make a vent that goes well above some deep water. I've heard of someone routing a tube from the rear differential vent all the way up to one of the taillights.
Does it seem odd that the front differential vent would be located much higher than the rear? Or did the engineers assume that once you realized how deep you were getting into, you would back yourself out?
Old 11-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #17
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I'm guessing they figured most drivers wouldn't fully exploit the XV Crosstrek's abilities (like the rest of their crossover lineup). Also, it genuinely looks like a PITA to attempt to make a vent for it considering the lack of room at the undercarriage.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:17 AM   #18

Default Diff vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
I'm guessing they figured most drivers wouldn't fully exploit the XV Crosstrek's abilities (like the rest of their crossover lineup). Also, it genuinely looks like a PITA to attempt to make a vent for it considering the lack of room at the undercarriage.
I haven't gotten around to looking to see what's there from the factory. Shouldn't be a problem in the front. And in the back, could do like my jeep was done, and route it up along the fuel tank, and follow up the fill neck to the back of the gas cap.
Soobydoo is offline   Reply With Quote