Canadian Off Road - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-14-2015, 03:22 AM   #1

My Vehicle: XV
Default Canadian Off Road

1 easy, 2 tougher, 3 toughest climb and then a picture from near the top. Hope you like it.

Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Just crawlin' over them rocks. That's awesome!

The sweet is never as sweet without the sour.
Milwaukitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

And this is where the Lineartronic CVT is a better choice.

It really is awesome to see another XV Crosstrek going where most people would never even believe a crossover could traverse.

BTW, you might wanna seriously consider some skid plates and rock sliders.
AWDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 01:54 AM   #4

I have the full set of plates, they did their job well a couple of times and deflecting rocks flying up from under the tires. What I would change going off roading like this is not installing the gorilla flaps, banged them so many times that I had to see if I still got my bumpers. It was an awesome day. I'm working on a roof rack and a full size (OEM wheel/tire) spare next.

ps because the flaps made it sound like my bumpers were hitting the ground
Old 09-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #5
Site Team

Skidplates already, sweet!

Yeah, my RallyArmor mudflaps aren't usually happy when I go do some off-roading that truly challenges the XV Crosstrek. I've ripped them maybe twice while off-roading...

Roof-mounted full-size spare is a great idea. Have you considered a rear hitch-mounted spare tire mount? It may be in the way of the tailgate, but it would be easier (and safer) to access than a roof mounted one. Or maybe even mount it at both locations for maximum readiness.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:14 AM   #6

I want a step with the rear hitch, so people don't bump me when I park and to get to the roof rack. With our Canadian dollar is in the gutter, shopping have to wait for a while lol

Can't wait to go back up north, always keeping an eye out on google earth for not well traveled roads Winter is coming soon, that's another fun time with the XV. Still have to get another tow hook.... man this shopping list only getting bigger
Old 09-15-2015, 03:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Considering you're in Canada, I'm guessing some all-terrain and/or winter tires are in the works?

I've personally used the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in tire size 215/60R17, which are VERY close to stock tire size, and they do great off-road. They are also supposedly good in winter conditions, though probably cannot match a true dedicated winter tire. However, the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S all-terrain tires are not optimal for dry pavement use as I have found.

With heavy dry-pavement use, some rain, a bit of mud and dirt, my A/T-S tires only lasted 35,000 miles (though I drive VERY hard and spiritedly), and I found it to sacrifice a moderate amount of dry pavement grip, which made me feel a little uneasy in dry conditions, especially during emergency maneuvers and panic-stop braking. As a result, I went back to the stock Yokohama Geolandar G95 tires in P225/55R17.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:54 AM   #8

Already have mags with winters, man I can't believe soon I have to put them on O.o damn summer was too short