Crosstrek Being used as Sand Serpent Bait - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-01-2015, 03:34 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 Crosstrek XV
Default Crosstrek Being used as Sand Serpent Bait

So, I admit that I played a little hookie today, and I bailed out of work early to hit the desert.

I was out looking for sand serpents and it seems that the Crosstrek makes great bait for those pesky desert serpents.
_0_MG_0530_1_2_tm.jpg

I went exploring and noticed some of the trails changed after the hard rains the last couple of weeks.
_0_MG_0466_tm.jpg

It was a nice relaxing way to spend Friday afternoon.
_0_MG_0473_tm.jpg

I sure have been enjoying this, and WOW, it sure does like soft sand. There were a few times where I was sure I would get stuck, and she pulled me right out.
_0_MG_0565_6_7_tm.jpg

2014 Subie XV Crosstrek
SoBaStRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2015 Red Crosstrek Limited

So Cool. . .Is your XV a standard Crosstrek or did you modify it for off-road frolicking?
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight

Glad that bad boy didn't eat ya. It's good to bail from work now and then. Someone's got to play with the serpents.
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
So Cool. . .Is your XV a standard Crosstrek or did you modify it for off-road frolicking?
The XV is bone stock. She has over 3000 miles on dirt, gravel and sand roads and trails. I added a CB radio, 2 different whip attennas depending on how far off the track I am heading.

It travels with a kit that includes jumper cables, air pump, tire repair kit, full field medical kit (including blood clotter, suture kit, 2 snake bite kits), small shovel, Large shovel (if doing heavy sand duty or long range offroading), hatchet, (axe if doing long off-roading), folding wood saw, set of tools for the car, 5 quarts of oil, jb weld, duct tape, bailing wire, rubber sealing repair tape, 200 feet of rope, 200 feet of para cord, 50 foot recovery strap, anywhere from 8.5 gallons to 25 gallons of water depending on where I am going, and a bugout bag for each of the three of us.

The bugout bags are camelbak water bags that hold 1 liter for my daughter with a small first aid kit and a survival kit and food rations (for her, trailmix, dried fruit, jerky and granola bars along with packaged emergency water), and 2 liter of water for my wife and I each with a survival kit, first aid, and a 3 day water and ration kit for each of us) the bugout bags include small 2 way radios, 1 solar charger, maps of the area, etc.

I have had to replace multiple bumper plastic mounting pins, a new plastic tray under the engine and 1 broken heat shield already. Subaru has replaced all of those under warranty so far.
2014 Subie XV Crosstrek
Old 08-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogen Man View Post
Glad that bad boy didn't eat ya. It's good to bail from work now and then. Someone's got to play with the serpents.
After a crazy week it is VERY good to get away for some extra family time.
2014 Subie XV Crosstrek
Old 08-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2015 Red Crosstrek Limited

Nice. . .Good to know a stock XV is a serious off-road SUV. While WI lacks sand snake habitat, snow snakes are common. Looking forward to making fun of winter!
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:10 AM   #7

Wow, sounds awesome. Maybe they should call you Road Warrior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Butch Coolidge is offline   Reply With Quote