AWDfreak household's 2018 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight - Page 2 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Go Back   Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums > Other Subaru Models > Forester

Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I also forgot to mention, about a week or so ago, I managed to overheat the AT OIL TEMP twice. Or at least, I managed to get the warning lamp (MIL/idiot light, etc.) to illuminate twice in a manner that did not involve the warning lamp start checkup. This occurred under spirited mountainous driving conditions.

With such a disappointing result in such a short period of spirited driving, I was thinking this 4th gen Forester needs an ATF cooler. More specifically, one that exceeds the cooling capabilities of the factory AT cooler that also functions as a warmer, as it passes through the engine coolant system to "cool" off.

Doing further research, Subaru has a newer style of cooler. However, it is labeled as an engine oil cooler, but I do believe I see AT oil lines going through it as well.

Subaru Ascent factory/stock auxiliary engine oil cooler P/N 45510XC000
https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...5510XC000.html

I'm going to ask if this is going to be of benefit for the CVT fluid temperatures.

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
Site Team

After getting the service done at the local Subaru service center, I was very surprised to hear that the brake pads were in a worn condition.

Curious to verify if their claims were unfounded, I took off a brake pad of the left front brake caliper.

They weren't kidding.

This isn't the level of quality I expect from Hawk Performance products. I have had some experience with their products, and never have I seen such a terrible state of the friction material. It looks as if its crumbling away like a brittle cookie.

Even worse, this is with about 5000 miles of driving. Friends and family who have used Hawk Performance brake pads have not had this kind of wear or failure. Although the brake pads work, I cannot accept this as being normal for a street driven vehicle.

https://imgur.com/pvzXILd

https://imgur.com/7RT7zvm

Hawk Performance is going to be getting a call from me.

On the positive side, I got it a ScanGaugeII to be able to read out engine coolant temperature, voltage reading, and of course, the most important one, the CVT fluid temperature.

https://imgur.com/FFiDaK2

https://imgur.com/vPG9HxE

FYI, I did figure out the temperatures to take note of:

Starting at 253 degrees Fahrenheit and above, CVT starts to limit RPM's to around 4000 RPM.

At 266 degrees Fahrenheit and above, CVT fluid overheats and illuminates the "AT OIL TEMP" idiot light/warning light/MIL (malfunction indicator lamp).
Old 09-29-2018, 01:55 AM   #13
Site Team

The brake pads at the front went metal-to-metal... *sigh*, time for new brake pads, again.

Contrary to my usual methods in choosing American-made brake pads for multipurpose severe-use brake pads, instead of opting for the usual racing brake pads with good cold bite, I have chosen to go with aggressive street brake pads designed to handle race-level temperatures.

I have purchased the PFC Brakes 0929.10 Z-Rated CarbonMetallic brake pads for the front brakes. These are street brake pads, based on the product description, with unicorn characteristics not much different from the unicorn brake pads I already know work as excellent street brake pads with race capability. I have confirmed Endless brake pad compounds such as the MX72, MXRS, and MX72PLUS possess moderately-low dust, relatively silent braking for temperature capabilities, and maximum operating temperatures that work under severe racing conditions often found in motorsports.

Unfortunately, the rear brake pads with the FMSI pad shape part number of D1114 cannot be purchased from PFC Brakes, as they do not offer any brake pads in the FMSI pad shape part number of D1114. So instead, I opted to choose the Hawk Performance HPS 5.0 as a mild rear brake pad compound to reduce the risk of brake pad fade at the rear. This is not an ideal setup in my current philosophy of brake pad choice, but it seems to be the best option in maintaining the current choice of American-made aggressive street brake pads.

Part numbers bought:
PFC Brakes 0929.10 front brake pads
Hawk Performance HB557B.545 rear brake pads
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 03:25 AM   #14
Site Team

So I must further clarify...

The street performance compound characteristics that PFC Brakes Carbon Metallic Vehicle specific compound offers has similar claims as Endless' MX72 brake pad compound. What I'm implying is that it seems PFC Brakes aims to the same level of excellence I have found from Endless' brake pads.

https://pfcbrakes.com/Portals/0/DNNG...PART%20KEY.pdf

Quote:
Carbon Metallic® Vehicle specific formulated friction material for maximum performance

Truck and Fleet specific Carbon Metallic® formulation offers upgraded durability, increased longevity, and quieter operation for fleet, towing, and
medium duty applications. Lower cost per mile.

Sportscar- From the track to the street, our sportscar specific Carbon Metallic® formulation offers more stopping power and increased fade
resistance for the high performance driver that demands the most from their BMW, Porsche, Mustang, Corvette or Import. Denoted with an ending
part number of .10 example: 0786.10

https://endless-sport.global/us/products/pad_1a/4

Quote:
The standard for ceramic carbon metal, for street-conscious track meet users

MX72

MX72 minimizes dust and brake noise while being semi-metallic, improving braking performance at low temperatures. It also increases braking stability at high temperatures and realizes a reduction in rotor aggressiveness. We also worked to polish the pedal touch, which is a strong point of semi-metallic materials.

Recommended for the following people
●Sports users who "Wish to use in various settings from Street to Highway, Circuit, and All-around"
●Those who drive vehicles which are heavy but which have low brake capacity such as minivans and SUVs.

●Proper rotor temperature/50~700℃ ・Average friction coefficient/0.37~0.47
●Materials/Semi-metallic(ceramic carbon metal)
Both claim low-dust, low-noise, while providing exceptional high-temperature fade resistance. I can confirm the Endless brake pads as delivering these characteristics. I guess I can also test PFC Brakes' claim to these same characteristics.

I did some further research regarding two different brake pad shapes. FMSI D929 and FMSI D1539. They are almost exactly the same pad shape, but the largest difference is that the D1539 seems to be a revised D929 with more surface area of the lining material, as if to accommodate larger rotors. Despite this difference, PFC Brakes sells the D929 as the 0929 which is specified to fit applications also using D1539.

And I also searched up additional street-legal brake pads I could possibly use for aggressive street applications. Same brake pad part numbers apply, FMSI D1539 for front, D1114 for rear.

Raybestos Street Performance Specialty Metallic Brake Pads
SP1539XPH front
SP1114XPH rear
Old 10-06-2018, 11:04 PM   #15
Site Team

I bedded in the new brake pads on the Subaru Forester. It is running PFC Brakes Z-rated CarbonMetallic front brake pads with Hawk Performance HPS 5.0 rear brake pads. Both brake pads are rated at an "FF" friction rating. My current initial impressions on the Performance Friction brakes is that hte pads have an emphasis on modulation rather than outright heavy bite. At times, it had lower bite than I anticipated from an American brake pad, which typically tout higher friction and strong bite. With an emphasis on modulation, this ".10" street compound really reminds me of the Winmax W3 and Winmax W4 brake pad compounds. They are rather consistent under a wide operating temperature range. Cold bite is as expected from a high performance street compound, a little warming up is needed to get them to have better friction and bite.

Afterwards, I initiated a run on a harsh downhill mountain pass, and can confirm based on my findings and prior experience with high performance brake pads, that the brake pads from PFC Brakes are great. Their company name, Performance Friction, rings true to how they performed.

There was no perceivable fade, these are the most consistent brake pads I've ever tested, even more consistent than Winmax W3 or Winmax W4.

However, these are very different from typical American high-performance brake pad compounds. Since the emphasis seems to be on consistency, the expected steep ramp-up of friction when the pads warm up to higher operating temperatures and higher friction capabilities. Just imagine the factory brake pad friction rating, and imagine it never having severe brake fade into quadruple digit Fahrenheit temperatures.

To my own surprise, this is the second manufacturer of brake pads that has performed the amazing feat of having track-capable fade resistance coupling it with quiet street manners. So PFC Brakes (Performance Friction Brakes) and Endless (Endless Advance) are two brake pad manufacturers I can say with confidence offer unicorn brake pads that combine composed street manners with amazing fade resistance for a street pad.

It would be fair to say the PFC Brakes Z-rated CarbonMetallic street brake pads are the American equivalent to the Endless MX72 street brake pads, as both claim to be well-mannered street pads with track-day capability.

However, the dusting of these PFC Brakes requires long-term evaluation, as does its performance drop-off over time as it wears.

These Z-rated Carbon Metallic brake pads will require me to revise my three characteristic rule of brake pads. My initial rule was that one had to pick two of three characteristics:
  • street-friendly manners
  • high-temperature capability
  • cheap

Amazingly, these Performance Friction brake pads actually fulfill all three of these. But due to the difficulty of accessing them, I will change the "cheap" characteristic bullet point to "cheap/accessible", as trying to get these pads is kind of a pain, there are not too many vendors that stock PFC Brakes, Performance Friction brake pads.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #16
Site Team

So I think the choice of rear brake pads is more insufficient than I thought.

The Hawk Performance HPS 5.0 brake pads have a low maximum operating temperature of 750 degrees Fahrenheit. The PFC Brakes Z-Rated Carbon Metallic brake pads presumably have a maximum operating temperature of well into four digits Fahrenheit. (I am awaiting confirmation on their maximum operating temperature. I think the weaker rear brake pads are taxing the front brake pads.

I also found out I foolishly forgot that the DOT 3 brake fluid is still in the brake system, as I managed to get brake fluid fade on a spirited downhill drive.

But not all is bad. With these Performance Friction brake pads, these are the easiest brake pads I've used to initiate threshold braking. As stated before, the only other brand of brake pads to match such modulation are Winmax brake pads.