2015 Subaru WRX steering wheel swap. - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-17-2015, 01:58 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Icy Metallic Silver Subaru XV Crosstrek
Default 2015 Subaru WRX steering wheel swap.

Hey All,

I recently found the leather wrapped flat bottom steering wheel out of a wrecked 2015 Subaru WRX for relatively cheap, at least compared to the oem price from Subaru. I would have liked the perforated leather of the 2015 STI but it still feels much nicer than steering wheel that came with my base premium XV(If I'm honest I'm not really sure what it's made of to begin with. I had to buy the back cover for the CVT WRX and the silver trim off the spoke that the limited XV comes with, but the airbag, media controls, and paddle shifters that came standard with my car fit just fine. I used this tutorial off a Forester forum from a guy who switched his to an STI wheel. (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ter-sj-371425/)

The airbag was relatively tricky to get off, in the tutorial he(Or She) mentions having to push the three pins that hold the airbag in place to take it off. The one on the left and bottom ones are pretty easy to get to, the third one on the right you have almost no room to get in there so you kind of have to play it by feel, I practiced on the WRX wheel before hand.

In the tutorial the guy didn't have to use a steering wheel puller, but my wheel was stuck on pretty tight so I ended up buying a puller for about $15 at a local Autozone.

Also the three buttons on the bottom left don't actually work as I don't have a MFD(I'm looking into remedying that soon) like in the Forester or the WRX. So I just used some electrical tape to hold it to the wheel so it doesn't make any noise for the time being.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0217151227.jpg (513.4 KB, 187 views)

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Default Re: 2015 Subaru WRX steering wheel swap.

Nice work. The stock steering wheel on the XV is garbage. Did you find that wheel on eBay? Craigslist?

The sweet is never as sweet without the sour.
Milwaukitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:39 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Icy Metallic Silver Subaru XV Crosstrek
Default Re: 2015 Subaru WRX steering wheel swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukitout
Nice work. The stock steering wheel on the XV is garbage. Did you find that wheel on eBay? Craigslist?
I found it on Ebay, was pretty hard to find though I believe there's another one on sale on Ebay. It came off a manual WRX with media controls, MFD control, back cover and a silver spoke cover. I have to agree though the one that came stock was terrible, especially on long drives, the leather and the 10 and 2 grips feel excellent.
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2015, 04:10 AM   #4

I bought Renegadmelons steering wheel and it is great! Waiting for the plastic piece from Subaru Parts Online now.
timinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #5

Hi there, I’m keen to put a 2016 WRX STI steering wheel on my 2014 XV. What problems am I expecting to encounter? Are all the buttons compatible? Will the WRX ‘7oclock’ buttons work with my ‘on-top-of-dash’ display/MFD?
-thanks in advance for any advice
MikkMikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #6

Hi there, I’m keen to put a 2016 WRX STI steering wheel on my 2014 XV. What problems am I expecting to encounter? Are all the buttons compatible? Will the WRX ‘7oclock’ buttons work with my ‘on-top-of-dash’ display/MFD?
-thanks in advance for any advice
MikkMikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:08 AM   #7

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek limited

look up the steering wheel on car-part.com ,, there are a lot of them listed ..need help let me know .. i have done the swap on a forester ,, very easy .
tony b is offline   Reply With Quote