Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

2016 Audio upgrade

15K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Bes Nievera Jr. 
#1 · (Edited)
Finished my audio upgrade to my 2016 Crosstrek Premium. It was a hell of a lot of work but well worth it. The sound is stellar and it's a much quieter ride.

Kicker HS8 Hideaway Sub under drivers seat
Alpine MRV-F300 Power Amp under passenger seat
Kicker Dash Tweeters
Kicker 40CS654 6.5 inch 2-Way Speakers in all doors
Stock HU

10+6 wire harness from ae64.com wired up and shrink wrapped.

4 gauge battery cable with a Stinger Fuse block. There's a spare wire holder which holds the new battery cable nicely.

Closed cell foam attached with heavy duty Velcro inside all doors.

Frost King applied to all doors and floorboards

Alpine MRV-F300 Power Amp under front right seat

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice job. I just finished my audio upgrade last weekend. Like you I chose the Kicker upgrade speakers and Hideaway. I mounted the sub to the back of a rear passenger seat. Also replaced the HU with a Kenwood DDX9702S but no amp. I was totally surprised at how great those speakers sound once the doors are sealed up.

#7 · (Edited)
Hey Guys new to the Crosstrek Club and upgrading the factory premium head unit with the Kicker tweets and door speakers. I added a 150 watt Rockford Fosgate sub enclosure to the back of the right passenger seat. My question is, did you tie in the sub to the rear 6 1/2" speakers or did you wire them from the dash? If you wired them from the rear 6 1/2" speakers did it still allow you to balance out the sub with the rest of the speakers? Finally, did you have any better luck in figuring out what the wattage output from the factory amp was? Thanks.

#8 ·
The factory radio only puts out around 18w if that. Yes you splice the sub into the rear speakers. You can splice in anywhere. Either at the head unit or under the door guards. Make sure you connect to both left and right side rear speakers or you'll get some weird volume issues when bass guitars are recorded with a stereo effect like a chorus or delay.

#9 ·
Just out of curiosity, do you have steering wheel controls on your Crosstrek?

I'm ordering up parts for an audio upgrade and I'm seeing mixed information about which wiring harnesses I should get.

I'd like to keep the stock HU with steering wheel controls, but want to create a T harness to add an inline amp.

#17 ·
did you encounter an issue with the starlink warning/emergency system showing a trouble light (red light)? I just changed my hu to a Kenwood (‘cause airplay2), and it was on, and my app also warned me of this issue. Other threads make mention of a resistor needed for the front speaker lines to ensure it is still operating…is this something that you did when your set up was installed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.