Cell phone holders - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #1

Default Cell phone holders

Hi all!

I'm interested to know what everyone uses to hold their cell phones. My main purpose is for the navi.

Thanks!

Spoonfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #2

My Vehicle: Limited Tangerine XV Crosstrek
Default Re: Cell phone holders

I use the Lifeproof case with the Lifeproof windshield mount, and run the power connector over the steering wheel.

kekkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited Ice Silver

Hey Spoonfed!

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you in the Crosstrek tribe.... Enjoy
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #4

Thanks! Glad to be a part of this tribe. I like the location on the side window kekkan, ever worry about opening the door with it there plugged in?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #5

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek Sport CVT - Tangerine Orange Pearl

IMHO the Kenu Airframe car mount for smartphones is the best solution out there. I love mine.

Available at any Apple Store or online.
jamesxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek

One of my buddies I work with invented a cell phone mount that is better than anything else I've ever used. I like the airframe previously mentioned and I've had it in the past, but I sit too far back in my XV and have to extend my arm all the way out to reach it. I know, 1st world problems... I have the "Gekko Stand" with a longer series of the ball and socket joints sort of like the setup at 1:15 of the video so it's right there in front of me. This video was from like 9 months ago when he was just getting started. This is the best thing out there right now.

JTXV

http://www.joshuaholloway.com

JTXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

My Vehicle: Limited Tangerine XV Crosstrek

I have opened the door and forgot it was plugged in, so ya it can be an issue. But I like where it is so I just do my best to unplug it before I get out
kekkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesxv
IMHO the Kenu Airframe car mount for smartphones is the best solution out there. I love mine.

Available at any Apple Store or online.
Thanks for sharing! Does it scratch or leave any marks on the vents? I see it's made of metal on the inside from the video.

JTXV - Looks neat!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl

Yeah, I'm not clipping things to my air vents. Reminds me of my grandmother clipping air fresheners to her car. Ha! Nor am I going to mount my phone up there're where the sun will beat down on it (and here in AZ, that's an issue).

Sorry, but nothing out there on the market compares to the Steelie:
Solid steel, interchangeable, a breeze to remove, and nothing to have to "keep in your pocket". Best of all, you can mount them anywhere!

http://www.niteize.com/product/Steel...-Mount-Kit.asp

I bought these... Love them and they look cool mounted in the car. Even bought my hubby one for his Rover, and another he's mounted in the garage on the wall by his workbench where he hangs his iPad while he's puttering around out there.

The product is fairly new. And I see they have recently added even more products. So,
if you're absolutely wanting to put a cell phone on your vent, they have theses too:
http://www.niteize.com/product/Conne...-Universal.asp

They even make a holder for you cyclists out there.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek

I'll have to disagree with the Steelie Mount. The company I work for sells both the Steelie and the Gekko, as well as some other generic mounts and I've tested them all thoroughly. I actually used the Steelie on my 2-week road trip last month to the west coast. It worked great, but I don't like a permanent metal fixture on the back of my phone or iPad. I hated that so I decided to put it on a spare case I had which also worked great. However, I quickly got tired of swapping out cases every time I got in and out of the car. Plus, I was reallllllly ticked when I got home and removed the ball from my dash - it didn't leave any residue but it did permanently discolor a circle on my dash. The circle where it was mounted is now noticeably darker than the rest of the dash.

That said, this is why I love my Gekko stand at least for my purposes. It has fully customizable arms to extend wherever you need it. There's no permanent metal fixture you have to glue to your phone with 3M tape and glue that Steelie provides you with. Simply set your phone on the pad and go. That's it. The suction pad holds your device without any need for adhesion or even spring loaded arms to keep it in place.

This is just my $.02 but working for a cell accessory company I've tested all the mounts out there. The Gekko is obviously more bulky than some others, but it gets the job done better without any add-ons, and without glueing magnetic pieces of metal to your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.joshuaholloway.com

JTXV is offline   Reply With Quote