Dashcam Hardwiring - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 09-06-2015, 11:50 PM   #1

My Vehicle: "Sawyer" - 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium
Default Dashcam Hardwiring

I have been looking into getting a dashcam for a while and I'd like to hard wire it in so it's working, but automatically. Of course I'd like to get something as small as possible so it can be hidden and not an eyesore. There are a lot of models with LCD screens that are good, but even smaller ones without. I've read several poor reviews about the ones equipped with wifi and how unbelievably slow they are. I was wondering if anyone has, or knows about, using the multi-function display as a dashcam screen. I have a back up cam and was curious if there are any other inputs for something like a dashcam or if I can use some sort of video splitter or other wiring jack.

tpf1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 02:51 AM   #2

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Installation - Album on Imgur Dashcam install in a 2015 Impreza Sport Premium
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:55 AM   #3

My Vehicle: "Sawyer" - 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium

Yeah, I saw that. Good stuff but my question is about wiring the video into the media hub instead of having a dashcam with its own screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tpf1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #4

My Vehicle: Silver '16 Crosstrek

i am also interested in hardwiring a dashcam, but slightly differently.

it’s tempting to hack the backup camera and split the video signal into the second input to a 2-channel recorder.

but i don’t have a clue how the oem display (‘16 xtrek no eyesight) works. i know the backup cam turns on when i put it in reverse, but how is the display triggered to switch?

my idea is to hack the power line to the camera and feed it power continuously; but does that switch over the display as well? (and goodbye radio!) adding a video splitter shouldn’t be too difficult, maybe.

is there any technical documentation on how it works?
nielkmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielkmot View Post
i am also interested in hardwiring a dashcam, but slightly differently.

itís tempting to hack the backup camera and split the video signal into the second input to a 2-channel recorder.

but i donít have a clue how the oem display (Ď16 xtrek no eyesight) works. i know the backup cam turns on when i put it in reverse, but how is the display triggered to switch?

my idea is to hack the power line to the camera and feed it power continuously; but does that switch over the display as well? (and goodbye radio!) adding a video splitter shouldnít be too difficult, maybe.

is there any technical documentation on how it works?
in order to turn it on i believe you have to fool it into thinking it is in reverse. There are kits for other cars to do this -- Prestigious Society ¬Ľ Camera Series ¬Ľ Prestigious Society
but honestly it would be cheaper and better to just use a regular dashcam. you would probably have to loose the use of the backup camera to use the factory camera or you'd have to put up with the camera displaying constantly on the head unit. Plus, no idea if the camera has decent resolution for a dash cam input or if the camera is designed not to overheat in constant use.

I hardwired a front facing dashcam and it is not at all hard. on ebay if you search you can find the 1a 5v dashcam hardwire kits. They plug into a fuse or use a piggyback fuse and they have 8-10' of cord going to the plugin you need for the dashcam to fish up the a pillar, under the headliner and out to the camera. I get a little nervous when playing in the area of the a pillar airbags, don't want to static them into deploying.

For a rear cam you have to install it on the hatch, run the wire through the loom that passes fro the hatch to the body, then run the wire down one side of the vehicle (preferrably the drivers side so you can connect it to power) then up to the front unit if it has video input.

That I haven't done because of all the panels you have to take loose. And of course the only accident I have been in was a rear ender. but it did show we weren't moving at the time we were hit and it was enough for their insurance to quickly settle the claim. here it is in all it's glory https://youtu.be/WWu8VcW7wYs
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:13 AM   #6

What if you just use a rear mirror with a camera I think it comes with small pins where you could put the wires. Already bought a regular dashcam and for the wire, I inserted it on top near the window but sometimes sit just falls since I do not have pins. (which I will buy since it keeps on falling).
h20acid is offline   Reply With Quote