Did the interior LED replacement today... - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV
Default Did the interior LED replacement today...

Today I did the interior lights LED change-out. Man, those tiny yellow bulbs get hot, hot, hot!! I bought the 08 and Up Subaru Impreza 5 Door Kit and it works perfectly.

It comes with 6-bulbs..and no instructions really on which ones go where. The 3 bulbs with the sort of pointy ends on both ends are for the front two map lights and the center dome light. The two pillar type lights are for the license plate lights and the last bulb is for the trunk/boot light.

Just use a very tiny flat head screwdriver to pry the plastic covers from the map and dome lights and the covers will pop right off. I know..it's scary because I don't want to crack one of those covers either, but they really do just pop right off. The bulbs that go in the map and dome fixtures are slightly larger, so the tabs that hold the light will bend slightly further out..but that isn't any problem. Turn the light on when you hold the bulb up to the contacts to make sure you are putting it in correctly. It should light up as soon as you hit the contacts, if not, reverse the bulb since they are polarity fixed.

As others have noted, the license plate lights require a little bit of oomph to get them out. Mine require a good press on the side of the light toward the center of the car to shift them about 1/2" inward, then they just pull out and down. No problems at all getting them back in..

All of the LEDs look great. A nice cool white light that I don't feel is overpowering at all and gives a bit more of a modern look to the interior.

Nice, cheap, easy upgrade..

BeachAV8R

BeachAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl
Default Re: Did the interior LED replacement today...

Wow! Really brightened it up! You're right, looks modern and fresh. Did you do the cargo area lamp too? How well did that do? I turned it on the evening and couldn't even tell it was on. Had to do a double-take. Kinda ticked me off cuz, my old-lady eyes need a lot of light to see anything. I so need to replace all the bulbs in mine.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimia
Wow! Really brightened it up! You're right, looks modern and fresh. Did you do the cargo area lamp too? How well did that do? I turned it on the evening and couldn't even tell it was on. Had to do a double-take. Kinda ticked me off cuz, my old-lady eyes need a lot of light to see anything. I so need to replace all the bulbs in mine.
Yes, the cargo area replacement is also included in that kit. It brightened it up a bit, but really that area could stand to have an overhead type dome light or a secondary light on the opposite side.

BeachAV8R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 04:24 AM   #4

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

Did the exact same mod today and we even got the same kit. Yup I burnt my fingers trying to pull the front two map lights out lol. They are definitely brighter and I agree that the white looks good.

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #5

Just ordered my kit after reading this thread. Excited!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Rmaligie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #6

It seems odd to me that Subaru wouldn't have just made LEDs a standard feature of their new cars - it seems like that would be a good brochure bullet point:

* LED interior/exterior lighting

I mean - are those old yellow bulbs that much cheaper for the bottom line versus the updated look and technology of LEDs?

BeachAV8R
Old 08-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this LED kit as well. In addition to the kit, I ordered two more 194 bulbs for the "eyebrow" lights.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 13 Crosstrek Premium CVT DGM

Did anyone get a coupon code to work if/when they ordered via Paypal???

Wing always looking for a deal!
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 13 Crosstrek Premium CVT DGM

Guess not. Sniff sniff.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #10

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek CVT Limited w/ Nav+Moonroof

Didn't get a coupon, sorry .

What you could do is get the bulb sizes and then order them off ebay or a local led shop, might save a few bucks that way.

superbrightleds.com will give you the bulb sizes.

Turkeytoe is offline   Reply With Quote