Dog-proofing the back seat? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 06-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Tangerine
Default Dog-proofing the back seat?

Most of the time, the back seat of my car belongs to the dog ... and he sheds hair and collects mud at a terrifying rate. After a couple of days with him in the back seat, humans are afraid to sit there.

So I need to find a rear seat cover ASAP. Ideally I'd like something that's tough, easily removable and washable, looks OK with the black interior, is relatively inexpensive, and and fits the Crosstrek seat OK. It doesn't need to be super-pretty or form-fitting or custom-made, because my dog will likely trash it pretty fast, but I'd like it to be quickly removable for those times when I need to carry bipeds back there.

Anyone found anything like that, that fits the Crosstrek particularly well? Thanks.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

Default Re: Dog-proofing the back seat?

Have you ever considered dropping the seats flat? Buying the rear seatback covers would offer you protection from clawing. I would then suggest a simple bedsheet (perhaps fitted) that you can stow under the rollback cover when the furry one isn't around. Combined with the trunk liner...its a pretty easy cleanup for hair. Plus it give the guy some more leg room!

-Louis C.K.
Phoenix622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2008 Forester XS 4EAT

I'm leaning towards a hammock design for my next dog. From my neighbor who has one, the dogs easily adapt.
http://www.autoanything.com/pet-trav...A0A28A0A1.aspx

They tend to be more universal fit than model specific, so look at size dimensions for coverage. And can be removed quickly for people transportation.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #4

My Vehicle: XV Tangerine, 2013

I just keep the seat backs down 99% of the time. The seat back rubber cover and tray that
come with the xv work just fine. Also when need to flip seat/s up it's so easy with the Subie; compared to
my old Grand Cherokee.
orpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Thanks, guys. I hadn't really thought about keeping the back seat down, just because it seems like I always have other junk to carry around in the cargo area. The hammock is tempting because it would cut down on dog hair on the floor, and be a disincentive for the dog trying to sneak into the front seat ... though the Subie's already partly solved that, since the adjustable armrest on the console moves under the dog's weight, and freaks him out.

Guess I'll just pick something and go for it, unless someone mentions finding a specific one that's a perfect fit for the Subie's dimensions.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

My Vehicle: 2013 Desert Khaki XV, Premium w/Nav

We use the hammock in my wife's 08 outback. Though, I wish they made it with end flaps that could buckle shut in order to protect the rear door cards. Also, I have to bring a medium sized durable plastic bin lid. I put this between the two frnt seats behind the console to keep them from jumping into the front. The hammock alone doesn't help with this.
Wilco1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #7

In case anyone's curious, this is what I ended up getting:

http://www.kurgostore.com/dog-travel...ch-seat-cover/

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's as good a fit for the Crosstrek seat as I'm likely to find for the money, and the material looks like it's going to be durable. And the best part is that the cover has just a little bit of light-orange piping on it ... not quite Tangerine Pearl, but close enough! ;D
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Tangerine Pearl

Montanan -

How have you liked the seat cover you bought? After having my dog in the backseat for a quick ride and spending 30 minutes after getting all the hair and mud off the seats - I'm looking into this seat cover. Is it easy-on-easy-off? I might also try putting the back seats down, I tried getting my boxer up in the hatchback, but there was definitely not enough room for him there. With seats down, it might be good though...

Thanks!

Krista
Premium, Manual
k2gdub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Hi, Krista,

All in all, I'm still pretty happy with the seat cover. It fits well on the seat, looks good, and stays in place even with a rambunctious 75-pound dog pacing around. It just takes a minute or so to install/remove, once you get the hang of it ... there are small straps that loop around the headrests, and a big strap that goes around the seatback. (You have to momentarily unlatch the seatback to fit that one.) The cover seems well-built, and the fabric is tough.

I think it will do a good job of protecting the seat, but of course it doesn't keep all the dog hair off the rest of the car. I'm still regularly vacuuming dog hair off the floor, and the backs of the front seats. But all in all, I'd recommend it.

Mark
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Tangerine Pearl

Good to hear. I definitely want the XV to be 'dog friendly', but with it being so new and clean, it makes it hard to want to stick a dog back there that's going to shed and drool everywhere...

Might go the route of the seat cover, might try out folding down the seats next time though...

Thanks!
Premium, Manual
k2gdub13 is offline   Reply With Quote