Drilling into the dash! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

Talking Drilling into the dash!

Does anyone know what's between the padded vinyl and the HVAC ducts under the dash? I have a 2014 base model, if it makes any difference.

I've given up on adhesive and suction cup mounts, and screwing a RAM mount to my dash. It's either going between the instrument hump and the left door, between the window vent and the adjustable vent, or on that flat, hard piece in front of the info panel (above the stereo and HVAC controls).

I wasn't too worried about screwing into the ducts -- with the cabin filter, it shouldn't collect too much crud or hurt the airflow much. What I'm worried about is wiring! I have no idea where the dash speaker wires are routed, or if there's anything sensitive in the center area.

Anyone know?

Ur-Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

I unfortunately do not know of any wiring in that area. I don't believe mounting in that area will be very beneficial as I consider it to be intrusive and will reduce quite a bit of situational awareness.

I would recommend taking a look at Ram Mount no-drill products such as the aluminum rod I use, as I've generally been happy with my Ram Mount that mounts to the seat mount holes. No drilling needed.

(not exact part I used but you'll get the idea)
RAM POD I WITH 1" SINGLE SOCKET ARM Unpackaged - RAM-B-316-1U | RAM Mounts

http://i.imgur.com/8xkE3O9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xgJ52Z8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2dsK1jZ.jpg

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I bent mine so that it fulfilled the following criteria:
* did not lie directly in the path of any of the airbags (including but not limited to, side seat air bags, side curtain air bags, passenger front airbag)
* did not obstruct ability to view outside vehicle
* did not obstruct ability to view existing instrumentation
* easy to view and reach without obstructing room to shift gears
Old 07-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
I unfortunately do not know of any wiring in that area. I don't believe mounting in that area will be very beneficial as I consider it to be intrusive and will reduce quite a bit of situational awareness.
Nice setup, but I respectfully disagree -- I've had previous phone mounts in the above-mentioned locations, and have always been able to adjust them so that the road isn't blocked at all. I also find that my situational awareness is improved by having the GPS (aka phone) close in, in my peripheral vision. More awareness of alerts on the nav that way, and more awareness of the road when I glance at it. The further it is from my focus point (typically straight ahead), the longer each glance takes me.

If anyone else is curious, I found I was able to pop out the defroster grille with judicious use of a small (keychain) prybar. Then I could cram my sausagey hand down in there and feel that there was no wiring or anything else in the way between the dash and the duct.

I didn't have a right-angle adapter for my drill, so in a fit of impatience, I drilled the holes out by hand. I don't recommend this -- the sharp edges of the drill bit gave me a pretty annoying blister. It wasn't easy to apply the nuts to the bolts -- I had to lay them on the pad of my middle finger, and bend and stretch to get it in far enough, then turn the bolt with the other hand from above. I had imagined something involving a box-end wrench with a piece of tape holding the nuts, but like I said... impatience (navigating is a real pain with my phone in the cup holder)!

It all actually went pretty smoothly, except for the plastic stiffening ridges. I didn't realize they weren't straight, so when I thought I had it lined up to miss them, I was wrong. I tried to take a picture by sticking the camera end of my phone down the hole with limited success.

I consider this mounting to be temporary until my order of washers and lock nuts comes in. I'm also considering some threaded inserts -- I used the AMPS pattern holes on the RAM mount as my template, and I think having my dash threaded for an AMPS mount would be pretty sweet. Just need to test it to see how well epoxy can hold a threaded insert in the plastic -- the dash sandwich (vinyl on foam on plastic) is way too thick for any Rivnuts I could find, which all seemed to be designed for sheet metal.
Ur-Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT (ISM)

I like my Proclip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468443677586.jpg (62.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1468443763438.jpg (77.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Very nice install and writeup! I may share your install for my buddies who need themselves a mobile device mount.

I like how both of you have your devices mounted in a location that does not intrude into airbag-deployment areas (side curtain airbags, side seat airbags, front airbags, driver knee airbag). I've found many people fail to realize where they mount their devices intrudes in the way of airbag deployment areas.