Dynamat Anyone? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-21-2018, 01:50 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Limited Quartz Blue Pearl
Default Dynamat Anyone?

I have upgraded my sound system and wondering if skinning my doors with Dynamat is really worth it. Have never done it personally and seen a few You-tubers do it. I know you'll drop a few dBs, just wanted a few of your opinions the matter.

A-A-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2018 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight

I will be doing mine when the weather gets better. In addition to a little improvement in audio sound. It will also reduce road noise and outside noises to a degree.
northframingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Even with a garage, cold fingers "es no bueno". If I do anything else, it'll be an under the seat subwoofer, then I'm done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #4

I'm looking to do the same. Though I adopted the philosophy that before I improve the interior conditions, I want to have an amp & speakers worth listening to!

Just checked out a 4-ch amp and some Polk speakers today that look nice, so I may make that purchase soon.

For dynamat, I feel like the wheel well areas may need more than the doors themselves, but I haven't torn down any of the trim to see what it all looks like yet.
FoaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:50 AM   #5

Just an update: Did this project, used Kilmat, a Dynamat knockoff on Amazon for $55 a box. That's almost a 1/3rd the cost of Dynamat. I started with just the front two doors to "try it out" and see if it was worth it. The interior plastic door skin/panel trim comes off easily. Started with skinning the inside of the outermost portion of the door, covering as much area as I could reach. *Warning*, sharp sheet metal and the foil of the mat = your hands will get raw. I started with gloves, but opted for more dexterity. I bought the roller that was recommended...save your money and just use the butt end of a screw driver and your fingertips. It's all you need. Then, I skinned the innermost portion of the door with the mat, covering as much area as I could. Average labor time is about 1.5 hours a door. After finishing the two front doors, I was amazed at the sound quality of the stereo (I installed the R-F upgrade a few months earlier). Also thoroughly impressed at the markedly diminished road noise. SOOOooo then I went nuts: did the rear doors, hatch, under the hood, and entire trunk under the spare tire, etc. All in all, I put about 6-7 hours in this job. Sounds crazy, but was well worth it. Needed to buy an additional box of Kilmat, so $110 for the whole car. With/without the stereo on, the sound dampening and the "solid" sound of the doors closing is that of a luxury car now. One if my major complaints when I bought this car was the fact that you could hear every pebble that you drove over, and the tin can sound of being in the car, let alone the high engine rev of the CVT to maximize the modest horsepower.

Take this for what it's worth, I was more than pleased with the outcome, but obviously it's a time commitment.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #6

I'm new here today. I have had my '18 Crosstrek since July. Adding insulation to the doors is my next step. Depending on the roads I think the noise coming through the doors is affecting my ability to hear telephone voice through the Starlink system. When the volume is turned up high enough to hear, the distortion sets in. The radio is pretty bad as well and it doesn't take much radio to please me.

I had a local quote of $500 to install insulation in all four doors. Seems high to me.

Otherwise I love the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northframingham View Post
I will be doing mine when the weather gets better. In addition to a little improvement in audio sound. It will also reduce road noise and outside noises to a degree.
RLB2444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #7

That's exciting to hear. If you did one door in an hour and a half it would take me 3+ hours and I would create new words for the dictionary along the way.

You have achieved the quietness that I want.

Bob
Old 10-15-2018, 02:37 AM   #8

Yeah RLB2444, your point is yet another consideration for door insulation. I notice now that people who are one the phone through the car stereo are broadcasting their conversation to anyone around them while they are stopped at a light.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #9

Maybe I'm safe.....I seldom have the windows down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A-Ron View Post
Yeah RLB2444, your point is yet another consideration for door insulation. I notice now that people who are one the phone through the car stereo are broadcasting their conversation to anyone around them while they are stopped at a light.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB2444 View Post
That's exciting to hear. If you did one door in an hour and a half it would take me 3+ hours and I would create new words for the dictionary along the way.

In my experience you have to go through this a number of times or on a few cars then it gets more natural. But I guess everything's sort of that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A-Ron View Post

This was one of my big reasons for wanting sound insulation/isolation. Makes it easier to have a call on a road trip where you're going to be at max road noise, too.

Glad your project worked out! I am hoping for some more Dynamat for Christmas... got the area behind my speakers covered on the outer door metal. DEFINITELY cut my hands up. In my prev. comment I said something about the wheel wells, but after having pulled all 4 doors I can see just how noise-conducive they are. It must be pretty significant having them all done, esp. with an amp.
FoaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote