For all those curious about replacing their stock speakers. - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-25-2014, 02:46 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru XV Crossstrek, Tangerine Pearl
Default For all those curious about replacing their stock speakers.

Hey everybody, so many of you have been asking wondering about if you should replace the stock speakers. The short answer is yes, stop reading and go order some speakers and tweeters and get to to work. Honestly when i pulled them out of the car all I could say was wtf is this. They seriously looked like walmart bargain bin speakers and I could not be happier that they have been replaced. So I didnt go with the Kicker Upgrade package for the single reason that I could not find any info that specifies what model they are and any sort of specs. I still went with Kickers though however, for both speakers and tweeters. The install was about 2 hours but it was worth every moment of it.

Upon turning them on there was an instant difference in the sound quality. I tested various types of music from Rock, Classical, Rap, Techno, Dub Step, Instrumental, etc and they all came in perfectly clear. I had to tweak the settings a little bit, but once I found that sweet spot it was perfect. Whether I have the volume at 5 or 30, open or closed windows the sound is crystal clear and driving is a lot more enjoyable. So if you have or are considering replacing them, it is really worth it, the cheapos that are in there right now take away from the overall experience of music.
Oh and if you're considering replacing the tweeters in the process, I recommend the Kicker Tweeters that are specific to Subaru since they come with the bracket already which makes for an easy install.

So if you want to know what Installed here are links directly to what I got.
Speakers (Kicker DSC65) - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641DS...C65.html?tp=95
Tweeters (Kicker upgrade Specific to Subaru) - http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/pr...oducts_id=1937
Get these, youll need them. Its only $12 so dont be cheap - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_126CR3N...nel-Tools.html

Pics of the new compared to the old
Tweeters. Old on the Left, New on the Right

Speakers. Old on Top, New on Bottom

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 04:19 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Sport Jasmine Green Metallic
Default Re: For all those curious about replacing their stock speakers.

were they direct bolt in replacement?
was the time involved just removing panels or was there more to it?
The Rog Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

I for one, if you go as far as installing door speakers that involve removing door panels. Suggest go a little farther in order to get even better sound. Install some gtmat on the back side skin doors and jute padding on the back side of the door panels. It'll give you a deeper richer sound, plus block out road noise.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 14 Crosstrek XV

Geronomo- Thanks! My only complaint about my new XV was the sound quality? It would be ok if this was 1980 and the radio had a cassette player lol. I just ordered the exact same equipment based on your post. I Like to go with something that's proven. So for a couple hundred bucks I can enjoy my tunes. Can you tell me what gtmat and jute padding is?
streek19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The
The tweeters were direct bolt in replacement. The door speakers however required some drilling. Since the stock set up in designed on a 3 screw pattern and the replacements required 4 I had to make new holes to mount the speakers. Removing door panels is the easy part, there are 2 screws that hold the door in place, 1 in the handle the other just below it. Once those are out, you just pop the door off, and I highly recommend unscrewing the door controls from the door to make it easier to work without the door hanging in your way. Now keep in mind that the stock front speakers have their wiring on the outside, so youll have to reroute the wire into the door, which isnt hard there is a spot for it to go and come out of the speaker hole. All in all once you get into a groove its pretty simple, or you can pull off all of the door panels and just put them on as you install.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob
I for one, if you go as far as installing door speakers that involve removing door panels. Suggest go a little farther in order to get even better sound. Install some gtmat on the back side skin doors and jute padding on the back side of the door panels. It'll give you a deeper richer sound, plus block out road noise.
I do agree that the little things you can do make for better sound, at the moment I didnt even consider that so I just went with the quick fix to the situation. Where would you get gtmat and jute padding? Is it similar to dynamat?
Old 05-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #7

If you GOOGLE, gtmatt is a sticky substance when applied to tinny medal surface, it'll give more mass. So instead a high tinny drum sound, you get more of a dull thug. Jute is padding has been use in the auto industry for years to absorb road noise. Go outside and tap on the crosstrek doors.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The
The tweeters were direct bolt in replacement. The door speakers however required some drilling. Since the stock set up in designed on a 3 screw pattern and the replacements required 4 I had to make new holes to mount the speakers. Removing door panels is the easy part, there are 2 screws that hold the door in place, 1 in the handle the other just below it. Once those are out, you just pop the door off, and I highly recommend unscrewing the door controls from the door to make it easier to work without the door hanging in your way. Now keep in mind that the stock front speakers have their wiring on the outside, so youll have to reroute the wire into the door, which isnt hard there is a spot for it to go and come out of the speaker hole. All in all once you get into a groove its pretty simple, or you can pull off all of the door panels and just put them on as you install.
http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread...c4f98af25&
Old 06-09-2014, 04:55 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited - Dark Gray Metallic

Geronomo,

I went with almost the exact same setup except I installed the Kicker CS65 instead of the DS65 (along with the Kicker tweeter upgrades). Overall I am pleased with the clarity, but could definitely use a bit more bass. I'm hoping after the "break-in" period and my ears adjusting to not hearing complete crap speakers that it will sound even better. To be honest though I think there's only so much the stock head units can handle. Even with an amp or much more expensive speakers, I think there's a "cut off" point for how good it can sound.

Here are some pics of the installation and finished product. Admittedly, I went pretty crazy with the Dynamat. I had a bulk pack I ordered from Amazon so I tried to put it around every exposed piece of metal and even on the back side of the plastic door panels. On the bright side all my doors are heavier and close like a bank vault now! I look forward to opening and closing them! Bumps don't transfer through the cabin as much and definitely sounds quieter at highway speeds.

ajr017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #10

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl

youwent crazy with the dynamat but not crazy enough! Gotta seal em up tight to keep the bass tight and the water out!