Front Passenger Seat Belt Tensioner - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2017 Hyper Blue Crosstrek Limited
Default Front Passenger Seat Belt Tensioner

So I've had my Crosstrek for a little over a week now and one issue has cropped up that is driving my wife crazy. The seat belt for the front passenger seat locks up far too easily, sometimes while she's pulling it out to buckle it. Other times it locks up with the slightest movement in the seat. It's not like this on the driver seat. Is this an issue or is it supposed to be like that? Is there any way to adjust it?

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 AM   #2

My Vehicle: 2019 Limited/EyeSight

It"s new and under warranty. It's a pain in the butt, but a trip to the dealership is in order. Can't help by telling you how to fix it. Sorry.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #3
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

What you're referring to isn't actually the seat belt pretensioners (those go bad when the airbags deploy), but rather the Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR).

Pulling it out slowly is the typical response. Sounds like you know that already. Whenever I have someone else drive my Subaru, I sometimes have the same issue. I re-attempt with a slower action, until I get it right. For some reason, that passenger-side seat belt ELR is more sensitive, but I haven't bothered to get it checked.
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2017 Hyper Blue Crosstrek Limited

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't totally sure what to call it and suspected I might be calling it by the wrong name. My wife is the only one to ride in the front passenger seat so far but I'm going to let her drive it this weekend with me riding so I can see if I can replicate the issue myself. I'm going to run by the dealer next week to grab a few accessories so I'll ask them about then too if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
What you're referring to isn't actually the seat belt pretensioners (those go bad when the airbags deploy), but rather the Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR).

Pulling it out slowly is the typical response. Sounds like you know that already. Whenever I have someone else drive my Subaru, I sometimes have the same issue. I re-attempt with a slower action, until I get it right. For some reason, that passenger-side seat belt ELR is more sensitive, but I haven't bothered to get it checked.