Headlight & Rear View Mirror Default Settings - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-26-2017, 02:03 AM   #1

Default Headlight & Rear View Mirror Default Settings

Have had my 2017 crosstrek for one week.

Headlight digital display seems odd. Shows the same on display panel whether headlights are actually on or the middle setting where only running lights are on and not the headlights (the two opposite facing small lights). Seems like it would be nice when driving under streetlights to be reassured that one's headlights are actually on (with the display) rather than having to manually double-check the switch? Is this the way it is meant to be and why?

Finally figured out how to turn off the distracting bright-red digital compass setting on the rear view auto-dimming/compass mirror. It's nice to be able to turn it off. Is there a way to set it to keep it off as the default setting? I find I am turning it off dozens of times a day because the default setting is "on" each time the ignition starts up..that's a lot of extra button pushing over the lifetime of the vehicle. I'd prefer the default setting to be compass off with the option to turn on when desired.

I see in the Subaru manual that some defaults can be reset by the dealer, but no mention of the headlight display on the dash or the compass display on the rear-view mirror.

Thanks for any insights forthcoming..

akmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 02:18 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Quote:
Headlight digital display seems odd. Shows the same on display panel whether headlights are actually on or the middle setting where only running lights are on and not the headlights (the two opposite facing small lights). Seems like it would be nice when driving under streetlights to be reassured that one's headlights are actually on (with the display) rather than having to manually double-check the switch? Is this the way it is meant to be and why?
Believe it or not, I've driven several vehicles that have the same thing, where regardless if using position (parking) lights or full-on headlights, the headlight indicator will illuminate. So as strange as it seems, this seems to be somewhat of an industry standard and not necessarily a Subaru-unique trait.

You can tell your headlights aren't on completely as the DRL's will be on (dimmed highbeams) and your forward vision will be subpar compared to having the headlights fully on (lowbeams fully illuminating).

With the auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass, it likely only defaults to staying on during startup. I doubt there is a setting to have it off during startup. As I mentioned in the previous thread, the only two solutions I could think of is to stick on a dark-tinted sticker/film or replace your rearview mirror with an auto-dimming mirror only without the compass.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:21 AM   #3

Both defaults seem odd and not quite right for safety.

When driving in town under streetlights, it really is not apparent if headlights or running lights are on. With all the other displays on the dash not really wanted or needed (airbag on/off; audio off, etc.), seems odd not to have the one important display that tells you the headlights are actually on.

Putting anything on the rear view mirror..digital display, dark tape, or sticker..all distract from rear view vision. Not the best safety feature it seems to me.

I'm wondering if Subaru can help change these defaults?? I'll check in with them. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'll come back here if I learn anything.
akmk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass default setting, headlight display on dash