Holy HomeLink, NO thanks to Wayne-Dalton - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #1

My Vehicle: Sigourney our XV, and Pearl our XT
Default Holy HomeLink, NO thanks to Wayne-Dalton

Before the rant begins this is not a HomeLink issue, mostly user error with no thanks to Wayne-Dalton garage Prodrive motors.

If you are wondering about the HomeLink process go directly to their website: http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome . There are some useful written programming instructions and a programming video for a universal kit that is way too vague for me. For some reason they ask you to select your specific vehicle year, make and model plus the Garage Door Motor, I am not sure why because the instructions seemed to be generic anyway. The webpage is helpful though when you don't have the Subaru instructions readily available.

A better Subaru specific video is this one: or a second to be fair to others: . I usually get so distracted the first time watching a how-to video when things are going on in the background, it just seems more entertaining at that moment. Or is it thanks to America's Funniest Home Videos where we watch for that blooper moment, who knows.

What is supposed to be a 3-Minute process took me no less than 30 minutes to complete, remember user error. With several total re-programmings to make it happen on ALL of the remotes and keypads I finally got it figured out.

You MUST sync the remote with the Mirror first, keep the remote within 1" to 3" of the HomeLink button that you have selected to operate your garage door. This took the better part of holding both buttons simultaneously for 27 flashes before they finally paired and the flashing became quicker. Yes, there is a difference between a tortoise slow and steady flash from the hare rapid paced flash. I never thought that it was going to work and the instructions don't give you a time frame to hold both button together. For me it was 27 slow flashes before it picked-up speed, OK release both buttons. If you get lucky the garage door will operate, ours did not and the frustration began. I am not sure if we have a "rolling code" garage door or just a poorly design overly complicated contraption with multiple idiot buttons, I will leave that for you to decide.

Next I had to figure out the "Learn" vs. "Program" setting on the lovely Wayne-Dalton Prodrive garage door opener. This is the most confusing motor I have ever seen on a Garage Door. Now begins the Rant! First I had to Push the Program Button, everything lights up to tell you that it is ready to add a remote device, next you need to select the Learn button and Highlight the pre-programmed slot that you want to utilize. If you choose the wrong position it will erase the currently saved code for the other programmed device. Poured cement walls are not a smart thing to hit your head on, so just count it as a DAM moment. Guess how many times it took me to figure out what the poorly placed lit LED numbers 1 through 4 meant on the back of the drive machine.

After figuring all of that out and two ladder races later you may now have less than 15 seconds to get into the XV and push and hold the same HomeLink button that you chose to pair with the Garage Door Remote. Per Homelink this may take up to three attempts while depressing the Homelink button in 2-second intervals, no more and no less so say the directions

This was the only four leaf clover moment for me, the garage door linked on the first button depression. Finally a break in this electronic debacle. I do understand why the Wayne-Dalton company is no longer making Garage Door Openers and are sticking to the Door part of the Garage, their units are NOT user friendly. I can only imagine their installation process for the Doors though, overly complicated for something that is traditionally simple.

With all of this being said I truly hope that everyone else had a better experience when syncing their HomeLink system to their garage, gates, and home electronics. Thank you Subaru for making this toy available to us, RUN if you open your garage door and see a blue Wayne-Dalton Prodrive Motor hanging from the ceiling.

Dan

The Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default Re: Holy HomeLink, NO thanks to Wayne-Dalton

I've had a pleasant experience programming my household's LiftMaster (fairly old model I should say, probably early to mid 2000's). Sure, there was a program button but it took me only about 15 minutes to program.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited Tangerine

My old chain drive Craftsman synced no problem at all.

However we are looking for a belt drive because our bedroom is directly above the opener and it is very noisy. We almost got the new Chamberlain with the iphone feature but I read some complaints about not syncing with Homelink.

We might just get another Craftsmen belt drive, I pray that it syncs OK.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #4

My Vehicle: Subaru XV Crossteck, orange

I too have a Wayne-Dalton garage door opener. Once I figured out that instead of following the Home-Link instructions, you get the mirror to learn the remote, then program the door opener motor just like you would a new remote from the factory......
Wrigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

Default "Learn" vs. "Program" settings HELP!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hulls View Post

You MUST sync the remote with the Mirror first, keep the remote within 1" to 3" of the HomeLink button that you have selected to operate your garage door. This took the better part of holding both buttons simultaneously for 27 flashes before they finally paired and the flashing became quicker. Yes, there is a difference between a tortoise slow and steady flash from the hare rapid paced flash. I never thought that it was going to work and the instructions don't give you a time frame to hold both button together. For me it was 27 slow flashes before it picked-up speed, OK release both buttons. If you get lucky the garage door will operate, ours did not and the frustration began. I am not sure if we have a "rolling code" garage door or just a poorly design overly complicated contraption with multiple idiot buttons, I will leave that for you to decide.

Next I had to figure out the "Learn" vs. "Program" setting on the lovely Wayne-Dalton Prodrive garage door opener. This is the most confusing motor I have ever seen on a Garage Door. Now begins the Rant! First I had to Push the Program Button, everything lights up to tell you that it is ready to add a remote device, next you need to select the Learn button and Highlight the pre-programmed slot that you want to utilize. If you choose the wrong position it will erase the currently saved code for the other programmed device. Poured cement walls are not a smart thing to hit your head on, so just count it as a DAM moment. Guess how many times it took me to figure out what the poorly placed lit LED numbers 1 through 4 meant on the back of the drive machine.

After figuring all of that out and two ladder races later you may now have less than 15 seconds to get into the XV and push and hold the same HomeLink button that you chose to pair with the Garage Door Remote. Per Homelink this may take up to three attempts while depressing the Homelink button in 2-second intervals, no more and no less so say the directions

Dan
Hey Dan,

I too, have a Wayne-Dalton ProDrive and I have been trying to sync my remotes for the past two years. I would buy a new garage door opener, but installation is what is holding me back. If I could just program my homelink and a wall unit, I could bear with this opener.

You mentioned "Learn" vs. "Program" settings. Could you please help me out with that? Every Garage door opener uses the Learn button, but WD's manual says press the Program button. What are the steps? Also, what does the 1-3 channel LEDs represent?

Thanks in advance!!
cerv008 is offline   Reply With Quote