Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Installing a Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cogen Man 
#1 ·
Hi. I was reading a thread where a reader asked for help in installing a auto dimming rear view mirror w/compass. (But I think it was an older post and had no mention of doing the install on a vehicle with EyeSight.) I have a 2019 Limited, and it did not came with a auto dimming RV mirror. (My 2015 had one when I bought it). I wanted my local dealer to install it, but they did not had the parts available and would have to order them and it would take months - including install. I know that you can buy the part (H501SSG203), from various places like SubaruPartsOnline for much cheaper than the dealer was asking. Other people said that this would be an easy install (along with the exterior auto dimming mirror with approach light J201SFL301). I was thinking of purchasing these items and doing the install myself, but I haven't seen anywhere or anybody with clear instructions on how to install these items.

Could anyone lead me in the right direction, and would this be a easy or complex install for both items. Or just buy the parts and let the dealer do the work. I am mechanically inclined and can follow directions to detail. I have seen a video on You Tube showing the process, but it wasn't on a vehicle with EyeSight.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Auto Dimming Rear View Self Install

I'm not sure if EyeSight complicates the install but I did it on my 2013 after I bought it new. Extremely simple and straightforward. Maybe you first want to try looking for the wires that should be there? Just pry down the front edge of the headliner and fish out the wiring harness plug for the mirror. If EyeSight is something that inhabits the newer models rear view mirrors, maybe there will be a more complicated plug, or maybe there's more than one up there. I would start with that task if I were in your situation, if only to be more confident that it is still no more complicated than just plugging it in.

#3 ·
I wish it was that easy. Someone told me that you can’t just fish out the harness wire without removing the panel because the wires are taped together on EyeSight vehicles and once you do install it, the kit also comes with a zip tie to wrap the excess wiring near one of the cameras. But the instructions are not clear, and it doesn’t locate where the removal screws holding the cover. I wish there were some clear details on where the screws to start the removal of the cover. It also noted to remove one of the cables on the battery in the engine bay, so no power won’t screw anything up. And also to cover the cameras as well. I don’t know if the cameras come down with the panel or not. That adds more complications if it does. I got an estimate of 375.00 for the install including parts and labor from my local Subaru dealer where I purchased the car. Only problem is time the dealer has to do the job. So I probably will pay them to do it. Maybe once that is done, I will probably install the auto dimming side view mirrors with approach lights myself, since those directions are pretty straight forward and more plug and play. Do I need something else other than a flat head screwdriver to pry off the mirrors? Or something flat and plastic not to break them.

#4 ·
Just have a update.
I completed the job of installing the auto dimming rear view mirror (H501SSG203) and the auto dimming side view mirrors with approach lights (J201SFL301) today. After some research online and some Subaru tech manuals I found online, I ordered the parts from a local Subaru dealer in North NJ (where I live) and picked them up. Total cost was 371.50 for both items.

After disconnecting the battery and covering the cameras with masking tape, I removed the EyeSight cover (2 8mm bolts) and with a plastic pry tool. That was easy. I left everything plugged in (there are about 4 connections, since they are not really in the way, and did not want to break any wires.) The hard part was finding the plug for the harness to attach to without interfering with the operation of the moonroof. This is not easy to find since it is taped up to other cables. And you have to pull down some of the overhead near the EyeSight unit as well. This part took me about an hour and a half to figure out. But with some patience and a miners type head flashlight, I found it and plugged the harness in both connections and make sure the cable is secure (they give you a zip tie to neaten it up because you are around the sunroof motor splines and the Eyesight cover has to be put back on with no obstructions. Once that was done, I then attached the cover for the cable that attaches between the headliner and the mirror. I reattached the negative cable (you don't have to remove it from the battery terminal, just unbolt the cable from the stud with a 10mm socket). I covered the sensor in front of the mirror and shone my light in the mirror. Worked perfectly. I disconnected the battery once again and started with the mirrors. I took a plastic pry tool to remove the left side mirror. It came off easily and did not scratch the inside. I unplugged the heater terminals (doesn't matter which goes where since they are both black.) After that, I used the grease they give you (you will have to have some gloves for this one since the grease is not in a tube - it is in a pouch) and put some in the place where the friction dampner spring is located. The old mirror has one so it was easy to find. You have to put the new clip on each mirror as well. Then you will have to take off some tape near the top to find the wires you need to attach to the mirror. They are held by a clip which you will have to remove - 1 black and 1 white. After separating the wires, just plug them in to their respective holders. It doesn't leave a lot of room to do the job, but it is pretty straightforward. They you also re plug the heater wires back and then line up the mirror and make sure that the damper clip does into the hole you just greased up a couple of steps ago. once the white pad the mirror has to clip on is straight, just use a bit of force and you will hear it clip in. Do the same for the right hand side. Took me about 30 mins. to do both. Once attaching the battery back, and covering the rear view mirror and shining light in the mirror, all three mirrors dimmed perfectly. And the approach lights lit when I opened the door. I then locked the door, walked away and approached the car (since I have a Limited, I have keyless entry) and the approach lights came on as I was near the car - just like my interior lights come on. Success!!!

All in all, this job took about 2 and a half hours. Probably saved myself about 400.00 easy. I wish I took pics of the job in progress, but it was the last thing I was thinking about as I was alone, and got a bit frustrated trying to find the plug. But all is well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.