LEDs for map, dome, cargo and license plate for under $11 - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 11-11-2015, 12:26 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek
Default LEDs for map, dome, cargo and license plate for under $11

Here is a little bit of a write up on changing the map/reading lights, dome light, cargo light and the two license plate lights. I've seen a bit here and there, but nothing too comprehensive. You might consider watching some of the videos online showing removal of the covers, but it's intuitive enough.

Total time: Upwards of 30 minutes (+/- 10 minutes)

First, you will need to order the following two sets of lights. My total came to $10.98 with tax (I have Amazon Prime).

(FLAT) Amazon.com: Cutequeen Blue 31mm(1.25") 12-SMD 12V Festoon Dome Light LED Bulbs DE3175 DE3021 DE3022 3175(pack of 4): Automotive
In case the link dies, here is the subject that they used "Cutequeen Blue 31mm(1.25") 12-SMD 12V Festoon Dome Light LED Bulbs DE3175 DE3021 DE3022 3175(pack of 4)"

and

(ROUND) Amazon.com: Cutequeen 10PCS LED Car Lights Bulb White T10 2835 4-SMD 80 Lumens 194 168 (pack of 10): Automotive
In case the link dies, here is the subject that they used "Cutequeen 10PCS LED Car Lights Bulb White T10 2835 4-SMD 80 Lumens 194 168 (pack of 10)"

I am calling these FLAT and ROUND for ease of explanations later. For reference, the FLAT ones have a flat surface that the LEDs are mounted to and the ROUND ones sit on a round shape.

The FLAT lights replace the two reading lights and the dome light up front; therefore, you need a total of three (the pack includes four).

For the two reading lights you just need to press in the two tabs and the cover pops right off. A small flat head screw driver works fine for this.

For the dome light in the middle it is the exact same thing. Don't confuse the tabs on the cover for the space between the housing of the light and ceiling liner.

APPLICATION NOTES
1. If you had the interior lights on remove them with a towel or let them cool. They heat up fast.

2. If you put in the LED and it does not light up then try flipping it. The likely scenario is that your polarity is reversed and flipping it around should solve the issue.

3. You should notice that the old bulbs have little tabs that you would otherwise rotate that help keep it in place. The new LEDs will not; however, they should stay in place by pressure alone. They're a tight fit.

4. They are bright. I have only used them during the day to compare (in the photos), but you should see a noticeable difference at night.

The ROUND lights replace the one cargo light and the two license plate lights. You will only need three, but the pack I linked gives you ten. What to do with the other seven...haven't a suggestion here.

Replacing the cargo light is simple. It pops right out, unplug it at the connector and slide in a new light. Again, test it before putting everything back in and flip the light if it didn't work the first time.

The license plate lights are also pretty straight forward, but getting the assembly off can be a bit obnoxious. Watch a YouTube video or just give it a go with my directions.

APPLICATION NOTES:
1. You are not removing the clear cover. You are removing the whole assembly.

2. The assemblies slide towards the license plate with a fair bit of pressure.

3. I used the hand end of a butter knife and leveraged the assembly towards the license plate and the opposite end (furthest from the plate) pops out. It didn't require a lot of pressure, but more than I could do with my hands/fingers.

4. LIKE the cargo light, pull the connector, twist out the light holder (non-technical term), pull the old light and pop in the new one. Check polarity before putting it back in place.

That's it, hope my suggestions and instructions help someone else.

Some pictures for reference and comparisons:

The light on the left is the old one and the FLAT shaped LED is on the right. You can see the little tabs I was referencing before in this picture.

These are the original reading lights with no cover for reference to their brightness.

These are the new LED reading lights with no cover, again for reference to their brightness. Pretty friggin' bright

This is the old dome light, without cover.

This is the new LED dome light, with cover, to see the level of diffusion.

This shows the original license plate light (left) and the LED (right).

TwistedGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement