Not for some... but for the sun! - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 06-15-2013, 04:36 AM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited, Satin White Pearl
Default Not for some... but for the sun!

Just a little mod added today. Well.. more of a protective mod.
I needed something to help keep my steering wheel cooler when it sizzles in the 115+ degree sun glaring down on it all day. But, mostly I wanted something to protect the original leather of the steering wheel.

Been searching for a while. And, while I love some of them out there, I had to admit I am not a person who's going to sit and stitch a steering wheel cover on (ug). So, I needed something that would just slip on over the wheel, but be made of a material that would hold up. I found a few different ones I liked, but landed on one in the beige (cooler than the black!) and it has silver accents, all matching my beige and black interior.

So, went with that. I found an additional poly cover that just slips right over the whole thing as well and found it keeps my steering wheel a *lot* cooler!

Now I'm just waiting for my new Covercraft triple-layer sun shade. But for now, got the steering wheel covers on and now at least my fingers don't burn off. :-)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteeringWheelCover1.jpg (436.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg SteeringWheelCover2.jpg (463.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg PolySteeringCover.JPG (59.6 KB, 108 views)

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

My Vehicle: MY13 Crosstrek Limited CVT- Satin White Pearl
Default Re: Not for some... but for the sun!

Very nice touch! I personally don't like a 'thicker' feeling steering wheel that the covers give you, but that is just a personal preference.. my wife loves them and I am surprised the XV doesn't have one yet... lol!! :

"Life is tough... but it's tougher when you're stupid." ~John Wayne
Xtrekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Yep, I'm right there with you on the thickness issue, Xtrekr. Heck, just the wheel itself is a span for me (the circumference thickness of the wheel nearly the same thickness as my own wrist). So, yep.. adding the cover does add to that. But, I figure over time, I'll get used to the difference and all while not burning my fingers off in the mean time. hehehee.

What car makers *need* to do is, build a car that comes with a cool touch steering wheel already built in! :-)
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek, Black 5 sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimia
Yep, I'm right there with you on the thickness issue, Xtrekr. Heck, just the wheel itself is a span for me (the circumference thickness of the wheel nearly the same thickness as my own wrist). So, yep.. adding the cover does add to that. But, I figure over time, I'll get used to the difference and all while not burning my fingers off in the mean time. hehehee.

What car makers *need* to do is, build a car that comes with a cool touch steering wheel already built in! :-)
Looks great and serves a purpose- cant go wrong with that Avimia. That is a great idea for the wheel- especially in that there exists a heated version. I am also a huge fan of cooled seats. I had them in a Cadillac CTSV and they were to die for. By the by, I also had a Covercraft for this car and it was exceptional quality and fit it just so. The "v" stayed covered in my garage most of the time and I only owned it 13 mos. It was just a plaything.....I did love it though! Sold it to a man out in Utah and drove it there upon sale. Great trip....triple digit speeds were the norm 8)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Wow! Nice car RubySu! I didn't know those had cooled seats. What a luxury. :-)

I heard about the heated steering wheels. And, can imagine those will continue to catch on. Though I think today's steering wheels are much better than years ago (remember when they were made if Bakelite and would crack)? Hahahaha!

Obviously a little add on like this is completely for the reason of the car being in the sun when I have to park it at work (she stays in the garage at home, but there is no shade or covering at the work parking lot). This past week, that steering wheel was so hot, I had to hold it at the bottom the whole ride home. Not only uncomfortable, bit not the best driving scenario either.

So, once my Covercraft window shade comes in, that will be a huge help. Then, my steering cover will be more to protect the original leather of it. I'm good with that. :-)

Did you get a Covercraft for your XV?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

No- nothing for the XV....I bought for the Caddy because even though it was in my garage, this close to the ocean there is just so much salt in the air and it would just sit mostly because I was going to keep it until, well, I was going to put it in my will! Funny how priorities change? i found the perfect piece of land and weighed keeping the Caddy vs. it and the Caddy lost. That car was the finest American product I've ever had the privilege of owning. I was all set on a E63 AMG but for due diligence I also drove the M5 and the CTSV. Then I drove them all AGAIN on the same day on back to back to back drives. It wasn't even close IMO....the Caddy blew them all away. If you ever want to treat yourself to one- I highly recommend it. In fact, the man I sold it too- we have a gentleman's agreement that when he sells, I get first shot at it. I sure hope i have the financial ability to get that car again. Any way, where was I?! Sorry! The XV will be gone in 5 years - especially at the rate I'm using it. 15K in 6 mos. of ownership. I promised my wife I would not buy another vehicle until 100K miles are reached on Crosstrek. The price I'm paying for automotive sins! Thank God she gets me!!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

My Vehicle: '13 XV Limited Khaki, 06 Outback 2.5i 5MT Atlantic Blue

Man, I want a CTS-V wagon. Remove the chrome, dumb down the exterior and make all these silly little racer boys feel like the "geniuses" they are as they get wasted by a Caddy wagon. Sometimes I forget that I'm closer to 50 than 40...

Ruby, I'm running about the same annual mileage as you, I've had the car since December 1st and hit 19k yesterday. My twin daughters will have their licenses in two years so the car will be living in my driveway for quite some time but I get to make another new car choice at that point. Woot!
gravitylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover
Man, I want a CTS-V wagon. Remove the chrome, dumb down the exterior and make all these silly little racer boys feel like the "geniuses" they are as they get wasted by a Caddy wagon. Sometimes I forget that I'm closer to 50 than 40...

Ruby, I'm running about the same annual mileage as you, I've had the car since December 1st and hit 19k yesterday. My twin daughters will have their licenses in two years so the car will be living in my driveway for quite some time but I get to make another new car choice at that point. Woot!
I honestly feel that The CTSV wagon will be a future classic. So the ladies get the XV and you get a "v"of your own! And if you dare- get the 6 speed...the one regret I had with mine is that it was the automatic. Either is great though IMO. Have you ever seen John Hennessey's V wagon? He has a speedshop extroidinare out of Texas. It's his daily driver and I think his is rated at 700hp! Now that's my kind of wagon. 8). All I can say is when I got behind the wheel of my stock V, I felt like I was a automotive god! Beware of the challenges though because they are literally at every light, corner and stop sign I NEVER came close to losing one ....not one! That car was magic. Yes, and I'm 48! It turns you into a 16 yr old hooligan.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #9

I like that cover.
Twist2Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2015 CBS WRX

Good looking cover. Also nitty a fan of the extra thickness but I wouldn't be against getting one since its very practical. Luckily my car never gets too hot here in LA, but I do have experience with it coming from NC.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta