OEM Stereo Fix (Vocal Image Control) - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

Default OEM Stereo Fix (Vocal Image Control)

Just to be clear I have a 2016 Premium with an all stock stereo (non-navigation) and stock speakers. I was planning on upgrading the speakers, but now I might not. At least for a while

I saw a video where a WRX owner did this, and I thought I'd give it a shot... It definitely helped the stock stereo sound better than what I was able to do on my own playing around with the settings. The video is long and boring and I didn't agree with a couple things, so I thought I'd write a short post with the steps.

First off if you haven't already, then turn off these settings. Especially if you like to crank up the volume, because they just cause distortion at higher levels. If not, then it might not matter much.
Sound Restorer - Off
Volume Smoother - Off
Virtual Bass -Off

Then comes the really important part. Go to "Vocal Image Control" and move it all the way forward to 8 or 9. This moves most of treble to the tweeters, and frees up the door speakers for the mids and lows. I NEVER would have thought to do this, but it makes a huge difference.

Now you can go in and adjust your EQ settings the way you like it. Here's what I ended up doing. The bass is actually punchy and the highs are clear and bright without the mids overwhelming everything like it used to. It actually sounds pretty GOOD!

I also have an EQ setting with less bass for certain music, and one with even less bass that's more flat for talk radio.

Enjoy!

scroggins5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT

Damn, I wish my headunit had all this.

Thanks for sharing, I recall messing with the 2016 loner Crosstrek and playing with the audio settings helped my music sound much better than my 2014 XV Crosstrek.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
Damn, I wish my headunit had all this.

Thanks for sharing, I recall messing with the 2016 loner Crosstrek and playing with the audio settings helped my music sound much better than my 2014 XV Crosstrek.

Bummer... I didn't know the 14 was different.
I just wish they made these settings easier to understand, and that they didn't use them to cripple the stereo straight from the factory. It's crazy that owners have to go online to learn how to make their stock audio system actually sound good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 01:12 AM   #4

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

Thanks for posting these. I changed to those settings just sitting in the garage. Seems to be good so far on just a radio station, but the real test will come tomorrow when I can crank it under driving conditions playing CD or the HD radio channels.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:49 AM   #5

My Vehicle: 2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium Desert Khaki

Tried out the new stereo settings on the road today. Those changes did actually seem to clear up the muddiness without sacrificing bass. I felt I was hearing the parts more distinctly on a dense but good (studio-quality) CD live recording. I ended up pulling my two lowest EQ bands down a point or two from where yours were, and for a stock car stereo it sounds pretty good.
MN Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:14 AM   #6

Good deal! Yeah the EQ settings really depends on what music it is. Today I found myself flipping through songs and tweaking it back and forth.