Panoramic Rally Mirror - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #1

My Vehicle: DK 13 XV [M]
Default Panoramic Rally Mirror

I installed a panoramic Rally Wink mirror in my XV, very happy with the results:

I had one of these in my '84 Scirocco and really liked being able to see all around, I took a panoramic POV shot to show the range of view in the XV (came out a little warped, but you get the idea):

I had to remove the headliner to bolt it into the shell, and the brackets are coming down through two slits I cut into the headliner for this. All in all, a much cleaner install than I had in the Scirocco.

One thing to keep in mind is that these warp under extreme heat and will start to sag into a smile. I'm preventing that this time around with two L-shaped aluminum posts that I cut to the length of the mirror and fastened with two hitch pins going through the posts and the mirror itself. Plasti Dipped the whole thing black when finished.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with the original mirror mount still on the windshield, but I'd like to throw a radar detector or camera up there. Does anyone know if there's some sort of universal mount that will clip onto this to hold those accessories?

Futurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Site Team

My Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek 5MT
Default Re: Panoramic Rally Mirror

Wow, that could seriously improve reducing any blind spots! Though I'm curious, is there a dimming feature on it? Or is it just a plain mirror? I'd pay too much money (just being honest here) for an auto-dim version of something like this.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDfreak
Wow, that could seriously improve reducing any blind spots! Though I'm curious, is there a dimming feature on it? Or is it just a plain mirror? I'd pay too much money (just being honest here) for an auto-dim version of something like this.
It does an excellent job removing blind spots, I actually seldom look at my side mirrors with this installed. No dimming feature, unfortunately. Costs around $20 and it's nothing too special when it comes to craftsmanship, but that's not something you notice once it's installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

Not directly related but I would love some details on what you did to tint your visor area. Thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRadio
Not directly related but I would love some details on what you did to tint your visor area. Thanks
I know a guy who does it for a living, took care of me for $20.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #6

Nice, did he just put it over those painted knobby things around the original rear view mirror area?

Looks good btw
Old 08-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRadio
Nice, did he just put it over those painted knobby things around the original rear view mirror area?
Yes sir, it's a continuous strip and you can tell from the outside if you're looking for it.