Passenger seatbelt/airbag sensor - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Premium (Ice Silver)
Default Passenger seatbelt/airbag sensor

So today I discovered something interesting. Driving the other day I put my hand on the passenger seat, lightly, no pressure or anything and the sensor and warming chime went off, at first I thought the sensor was super sensitive but today as I was driving I had my backpack filled with textbooks on the seat and realized the sensor and chime were silent. So I started experimenting. I took my backpack off and put my hand on the seat, and BEEP BEEP BEEP the chime goes off. So I then put my textbook on the seat and nothing, and then my hand again and it starts going off! I just thought it was cool that it knows what's human and what's not. ALIENS!
I just wanted to know if anyone else noticed this, or is going to try it after reading this.

mwrobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek Premiun, Pearl White
Default Re: Passenger seatbelt/airbag sensor

Actually, I think the sensor on the seat a bit more towards the front of the seat. (I am going to have to test my backpack now... lol). Yeah, I noticed that tool but if I recall, it was when I placed my hand towards the front of the seat.. I could be totally wrong (not the first time, and certainly not the last), but if I recall, that is what I remembered.
josemendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #3

That might be true, the sensor picked up my hand quicker towards the front of the seat, but it also picked up my hand towards the back of the seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2013 Silver XVC Limited

If I put my iPad on the seat directly, towards the back near the backrest, the sensor chimes. If I put it on something like a leather folio or gloves for that matter, nothing. Strange, but when people are in the car it is fine. Long and short I have no idea what the heck is wrong with it.

-Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes-
Chuck A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #5

The sensor works off of electrical signals, not weight. Putting heavy items in the seat should not trigger the sensor - anything giving off an electrical signal (such as a human body) should. At least this is my understanding of the system.
mrpillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #6

That's interesting. I put my phone on the seat but nothing happened, therefore I am convinced subaru has little alien life forms living underneath our seat cushions chiming bells when a human is in the seat without their seatbelts fastened. 8)
Old 12-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #7

My Vehicle: Limited Tangerine XV Crosstrek

I got a little annoyed when I put a small box on the seat and it set the sensor off, but when my 7 year old daughter sat on the seat it didn't go off. Also my dog jumped up front one day (70lbs) because he can't sit still, if he moved one way the sensor went on then move another way and it would go off, kind of weird.
kekkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Tangerine Pearl

I had noticed some inconsistencies with the front passenger seatbelt airbag sensor too. I can put my purse and other items over there, and no chiming. However, if I put just my phone over there, it sets off the chimes. I thought it was weight related, so I couldn't figure out why it was going off for just my little phone. I did put a couple bags of groceries there once and that set off the chiming too, so I had to buckle in my groceries lol

So, it is a heat sensor? or electrical? not sure why my groceries would have set it off if it were either of those....
Premium, Manual
k2gdub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #9

My Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Crosstrek Premiun, Pearl White

So I put my backpack with my computer and nada, then I added my hand and sure enough, it started to chimme. So, what does that mean? I have no idea.... the good thing is that it works.
josemendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #10

My Vehicle: XV Crosstrek Venetian Red, 2012 Accord, 2013 Fiat 500

I'm guessing the sensor is electrical. Yes, we humans run on electricity too that's why we get static shocks every now and then. See if it makes a difference if your laptop/device is on or off.
XVEwing is offline   Reply With Quote