Rear view mirror wiring harness in all models? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

My Vehicle: 2013 Black Premium
Default Rear view mirror wiring harness in all models?

Hello everyone-

I bought an XV last month and have been busy with accessories and mods.

I am planning to add a small LCD monitor above the rear view mirror for a backup camera display. Does anyone know if the wiring harness connection for the auto dim/home link mirror exists even in models without the powered mirror? I have a basic Premium model.

Thanks

b2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2013 CrossTrek
Default Re: Rear view mirror wiring harness in all models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2002
Hello everyone-

I bought an XV last month and have been busy with accessories and mods.

I am planning to add a small LCD monitor above the rear view mirror for a backup camera display. Does anyone know if the wiring harness connection for the auto dim/home link mirror exists even in models without the powered mirror? I have a basic Premium model.

Thanks
I just looked in the manual and the review mirror circuit doesn't connect to the rear view camera. The rear view camera only connects to either the audio or navigation system depending on which option you have.
Pop-Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited CVT , 2008 Honda Ridgline

I believe the US models all have the wiring tucked away above the courtesy lights. But the wiring only powers the self dimming mirror (either the reg self dimming or the homelink version). It is not wired for a Back up camera. You can get a self dimming mirror with a hidden video display for a back up camera built into the mirror. I installed one in my Honda Ridgeline. You use the wiring for the factory dimming mirror to power the dimming function (and/or homelink) for the video mirror, but you need a power source from the reverse light circuit to power the back up camera and video display in the mirror, that way the back up camera only works when you put the car in reverse. You also need to run a video cable from the camera in the back of the car up to the mirror. Most people choose to run the wires up along the driver side windshield pillar but be careful not to interfere with the window curtain airbag which deploys from the pillar I believe.
GT-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, guys. I plan to power the camera from the reverse light circuit and the monitor from the overhead power source unless the monitor isn't totally blank with power and no video source. In that case I'll try running wires from the reverse circuit to power the monitor as well. (The parts are still in the mail)

I'm trying to do this for not much $. I may go with the mirror/video screen if this doesn't work.

Anyone know which connector part# would snap into the overhead power connector?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2002
Thanks for the replies, guys. I plan to power the camera from the reverse light circuit and the monitor from the overhead power source unless the monitor isn't totally blank with power and no video source. In that case I'll try running wires from the reverse circuit to power the monitor as well. (The parts are still in the mail)

I'm trying to do this for not much $. I may go with the mirror/video screen if this doesn't work.

Anyone know which connector part# would snap into the overhead power connector?
Keep us updated because I am interested on doing this where is the back camera located at? very interested in this thread

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Johnpaulattard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #6

I still am hoping to get this project going as soon as work permits.

I had a change of philosophy and decided to buy a high quality (and expensive) mirror with a backup camera monitor built in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0092S...f=ya_aw_oh_pit

This is the camera I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0092Y...f=ya_aw_oh_pit

I'm not sure if I will end up putting this in myself or if I'll have a shop do it. I'm planning on getting a remote starter and windshield tint strip installed soon and might see what they would charge to wire up the mirror and camera.

If I do it, I am thinking of running the video wire above the headliner and will post pictures of the project.

BTW, the Crosstrek mirror attaches with a standard wedge mount.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #7

My Vehicle: 2013 Crosstrek Limited CVT , 2008 Honda Ridgline

I did the same mod on my wife's Honda Ridgeline and it works well. We really like the hidden video screen in the mirror.
GT-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #8

Here is the Subaru part number for the wire harness from the headliner connection to the mirror:

H501SAJ010

Cost is under $10, but shipping pushed it close to $20. I plan to splice this part into the supplied Gentex 335S harness and use the Subaru connector to the headliner connection for switched power. I realize I will still need the reverse signal and camera feed.

It is Subaru to Gentex - I would think it would work well (plug and play) if one were installing an auto-dimming Gentex mirror (without a temp probe) into a Premium. I will post what I find when I get to it.

Anybody try it yet?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #9

I started this project today and hope to finish tomorrow.

The rear view mirror wiring harness was indeed above the headliner near the map light assembly. It was difficult to cut the blue tape which was holding the connector onto other wires due to the tight space.

I tested the circuit in the now unhidden connector and found that the 3 wires were:

Power with key on
Ground
And - Power when in reverse! Woo hoo!

Tonight I spliced the part I ordered (snap in mirror power harness, see previous post) into the Gentex harness. The
reverse sense power supply up near the mirror means that the only wire to run from the back is the video feed.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #10

I finished this mod today and I must say the results are very good. the hardest part of the installation was routing the video wire from the back of the vehicle under the driver's side door sills. Lots of trim to remove and then getting it back on...

The mirror is high quality - cannot see the video screen at all until backing.