removing front passenger seat? - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 04-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

Default removing front passenger seat?

I'm looking to buy a crosstrek and have test driven one several times. I'm liking what I've seen but have one question. I'm interested in car camping and one thing I tried was to lay out in the back (did it on a empty lot so I didn't get any goofy looks).

I'm 6'2" and with the rear seat folded down the space is still about 4 inches too short. I've looked at videos for several tents that attach to the rear hatch and that is certainly an decent option. But I'm curious if anyone has removed the front passenger seat. Since I'll be solo I wont really need the seat, and I could build a wood platform as others on this forum have done.

If anyone has done this and could give any hints or a some expectation of how difficult it is, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #2

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek Limited CVT (ISM)

Wouldn't sliding the seat all the way up and tilting the seatback forward give enough room?
Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #3

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005

If that's what you want to do it isn't hard, four bolts and two quick disconnects to remove the seat. I would suggest to look at the larger car like the Outback. Little bigger nicer options!
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #4

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek 2.0 Limited

You can remove the seat easy enough with a few fasteners but I think with the seatbelt sensors and the SRS (airbag) lights come on. Then it may effect the operation of the SRS system. I know my seats have an airbag in the seat itself.
Husky liners
Torklift 2" hitch
KLEMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #5

My Vehicle: 2013 XV Crosstrek - Desert Khaki - 5MT Premium

I'm around 6'2" as well and have slept in the back multiple times. I typically lie diagonally so that my feet are behind the passenger seat with the seat scooted or leaned forward. Feet hang off a bit, but not enough to be uncomfortable for me.

That said, as others mentioned it shouldn't be difficult to remove the seat. I haven't done it in the XV, but have in other vehicles and it's fairly straightforward.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #6

thank you for the replies!

I had thought of one of the other models like a outback, but I really like the crosstrek looks. Also I would only need the extra room on rare occasions (4 or 5 times a year) so I'm hoping pulling the seat may be a doable option.

I didn't think of trying diagonal will give that a shot. The dealer has one coming in the color and trim package I'm wanting next week, will try it then.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

Thought I would come back and update with what I found out.

1. Subaru does NOT recommend driving without the front seat installed. The dealer tech said it had something to do with creating a "open circuit" in the air bag electrical system. I'm not an electrician, so going to take his word on this.

2. the upper part of the passenger seat will not lay flat going forwards, but it will lay down going backwards. Taking off the head rests of both the front and rear passenger seats and moving the seat forwards, allows the rear seat to almost lay flat. This opens up the area the front seat was blocking.

Doing this I was able to use a air mattress and sleep fairly comfortably.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Thought I would come back and update with what I found out.

1. Subaru does NOT recommend driving without the front seat installed. The dealer tech said it had something to do with creating a "open circuit" in the air bag electrical system. I'm not an electrician, so going to take his word on this.

2. the upper part of the passenger seat will not lay flat going forwards, but it will lay down going backwards. Taking off the head rests of both the front and rear passenger seats and moving the seat forwards, allows the rear seat to almost lay flat. This opens up the area the front seat was blocking.

Doing this I was able to use a air mattress and sleep fairly comfortably.
That's good to know! May have to try this soon.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #9

We are losing the functionality of a fold flat front passenger seat in our 03 Matrix by going to a Crosstrek. That has been the biggest point of contention for us. My wife routinely picks up 8' pieces of lumber in her car and can still close the hatch! I'll likely keep an extra blanket that we can throw over the seat when its reclined if she need the extra space for a Home Depot run.
austintaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #10

My Vehicle: 2014 XV Crosstrek 2.0 Limited

I can fit 2 X 8 8" by sacking them on the console between the seats. Cross bars and tie downs are the way to go.
Husky liners
Torklift 2" hitch
KLEMMER is offline   Reply With Quote