Removing headliner - Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
Club Crosstrek | Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums

Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

My Vehicle: DK 13 XV [M]
Default Removing headliner

Hey guys,

Does anyone here have any experience / insight on removing the headliner on their XV for whatever reason?

I'm looking to mount a Wink mirror in mine and I'd like to have a clean install with the mounts coming through some slits I'll cut in the headliner rather than screwing them on with the headliner in between.

... That and removing it will take the guess work out of placing the screws.

Futurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

My Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek 2013 Orange, Toyota Tacoma 2005
Default Re: Removing headliner

As I understand it's a cheap piece of cardboard. When you go to remove it, you have to have very clean hands, cause it'll attract dirt. If you try to pull it down and by mistake you bend it, that crease isn't repairable. If you were to go to an auto upholstery shop, maybe they can remove it.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

My Vehicle: 2013 XV - Tangerine dream

I bent back my headliner while running my mic for hands free (aftermarket head unit) in the front and the entire passenger side for the backup camera wire. The headliner is delicate. Like BillyBob mentioned, if you bend it too far, it can crease. The dreaded crease did happen to me. I just smoothed it out by rubbing it then left it alone. It's fine now.

Sorry never took it out though.
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #4

I've been looking though other postings (not for the XV) and it looks like the first thing to do is to remove everything that's holding it in place (pillars, handles, lights), which should be fairly simple. I'm glad you guys have told me how delicate it is, since I've been known to test the pliability of a few materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthereyouare
I bent back my headliner while running my mic for hands free (aftermarket head unit) in the front and the entire passenger side for the backup camera wire.
One question--are there any clips that I need to look out for, in addition to the accessories that are screwed in? I want to be as careful as possible and would hate to let a clip lead to a bend.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #5

I know the pillar in the front passenger side, doesn't really come off(Has some yellow tabs connected to it.). You can pry it off about an inch or so, enough to pull your headliner out I'm sure. Also has an airbag literally rolled up behind the plastic. So disconnect your battery prior to your project. The drivers side front is easy to take off.

Good luck and take pics, I'd be interested.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthereyouare
I know the pillar in the front passenger side, doesn't really come off(Has some yellow tabs connected to it.). You can pry it off about an inch or so, enough to pull your headliner out I'm sure. Also has an airbag literally rolled up behind the plastic. So disconnect your battery prior to your project.
Woah, yeah. Please keep these tips coming, I would hate to have found this one out the hard way.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #7

I have had all the other plastics off with no problems. It's just that front passenger side that's a bit odd.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

My Vehicle: 2013 XV, ORANGE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthereyouare View Post
I bent back my headliner while running my mic for hands free (aftermarket head unit) in the front and the entire passenger side for the backup camera wire. The headliner is delicate. Like BillyBob mentioned, if you bend it too far, it can crease. The dreaded crease did happen to me. I just smoothed it out by rubbing it then left it alone. It's fine now.

Sorry never took it out though.
Hello, was wondering what head unit you installed? How did you connect to the OEM back-up camera, please? Or you just replaced the BU camera? Thanx!
Ironman1518 is offline   Reply With Quote